Is the new morality acceptable in Christian conduct today?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

t
Student

Post #1

Post by t »

Corvus
Guru

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

What new morality? I have seen no new morality, only resurgences and updates of old philosophies. This question seems awfully vague.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

t
Student

Post #3

Post by t »

Mabe the question should be what the kids perceive to be a new morality.
The new morality made its impact during the 1960's as a religion-approved ethical system to replace legalism. Where is the line the kids of today should walk, or is it the same place it has always been?

Travis
Student

Post #4

Post by Travis »

Mabe the question should be what the kids perceive to be a new morality.
The new morality made its impact during the 1960's as a religion-approved ethical system to replace legalism. Where is the line the kids of today should walk, or is it the same place it has always been?

I'm really not sure as to what you mean here. There have been many movements to replace legalism/fundamentalism. Are you speaking of the morality of the evangelical movement, or the recent step toward open theism? Something else entirely?

It appears to me that ethical systems have always been diverse. I have my own personal opinion on ethics, but is that really what you are looking for?
What is the first business of one who practices philosophy? To get rid of self-conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he thinks he already knows.
- Epictetus (Discourses)

Corvus
Guru

Re: Is the new morality acceptable in Christian conduct toda

Post #5

Post by Corvus »

t wrote:Mabe the question should be what the kids perceive to be a new morality.
I am as confused as Travis. Perhaps you could define what the morality system is based upon and how it works? Furthermore, since this is "religion-approved", whatever that means, why are you asking if it's acceptable? I'm really bewildered.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

t
Student

Re: Is the new morality acceptable in Christian conduct toda

Post #6

Post by t »

Corvus wrote:
t wrote:Mabe the question should be what the kids perceive to be a new morality.
I am as confused as Travis. Perhaps you could define what the morality system is based upon and how it works? Furthermore, since this is "religion-approved", whatever that means, why are you asking if it's acceptable? I'm really bewildered.
Im thinking that christians today feel that tight cloths, jeans, shorts alot of provocative cloths are being worn to church and its ok. The singing is turning into only feel good music.

The new morality ("situation ethics"): is it really new?

I did not say it was religion approved, its the new Christian conduct.

Things that were not ok 10 years ago seems to be ok today. Mabe I should change the topic to feel good religion, and wear what you want when you want. The situation the kids say is different then when I was a kid, and the question is, is it really?

I hope that sort of clears up the question.

logic
Student

Re: is the new morality acceptable in christian conduct toda

Post #7

Post by logic »

[The new morality ("situation ethics"): is it really new?

I did not say it was religion approved, its the new Christian conduct.

Things that were not ok 10 years ago seems to be ok today. Mabe I should change the topic to feel good religion, and wear what you want when you want. The situation the kids say is different then when I was a kid, and the question is, is it really?

I hope that sort of clears up the question.]

Morality and ethics are socially defined. Throughout history there have been liberal individuals who push what society deems moral or ethical to the limit. Over time as society gets used to these liberal ideas/actions of certain individuals it adopts them into everyday society. Suddenly what was once deviant or morally/ethically wrong is perfectly fine and acceptable.
It seems that one of the "new" morally/ethically liberal actions of todays youth (e.g. skimpy clothing, explicit sexuality) are just another form of the liberal actions of generations past. However, as history has shown us, what seems morally/ethically despicable today will be tame by tomorrows standards.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Amadeus »

Christians have become more lax in their ethics. It is really a shame. Part of following Christ is to want to do what God says is best for us. Many Christians aren't showing that they care these days. But we are all imperfect, so I take it as part of the fallen state of man. just because their values are slipping does not condemn them if they are still trying to be active in growing in their faith.

Travis
Student

Post #9

Post by Travis »

I must see this differently. Since when did the clothes you wear or the music you listen to have anything at all to do with the salvation plan or God’s law?

How is it ‘situation ethics’ if Gods laws are being followed? All this comes to is another cultural change totally independent of Christian ethics.
What is the first business of one who practices philosophy? To get rid of self-conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he thinks he already knows.
- Epictetus (Discourses)

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Amadeus »

Not quite. I have run into quite a few people who say they are Christians, but you really couldn't tell by the way they live their life! Many Christians AREN'T folllowing God's law. They are in rebellion to it and forget what Jesus said.

Yes, it has been INFLUENCED by culture, but that is because those Christians have foegotten that we are supposed to be "set apart from the world".

By the way, I am not talking about music or t-shirts.