Lying v. telling the truth

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

instantc
Guru

Lying v. telling the truth

Post #1

Post by instantc »

My question is, does telling the truth have moral value in your opinion? The problem is that even if I'd say yes, people tend to acknowledge that in certain situations one should not tell the truth. For example, suppose that a person is dying within a few hours, and he is asking you about his son. Now, you happen to know that his son was just in a terrible car accident and is not going to make it. Should you deliver the bad news to this dying person? I for one don't see any reason to do so, why should we deliberately make his last moments that much worse?

If we accept this line of thinking, then is lying justified at anytime it would result in a greater good? If not, where should we draw the line and why?

alexx
Student

Post #11

Post by alexx »

Divine Insight wrote:
Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

If we accept what you are saying is true for you - which one of your 7000 posts on this forum is not a lie?
Would it matter?

According to Christians they are all sinners and cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

Besides, the bulk, if not all, of my 7000 posts merely point out truths that anyone can verify for themselves.

A Christian who claims that Jesus was the Son of some God, or that even some God actually exists has already told a lie.

All they can say truthfully is that they heard rumors of these things and have personally chosen to believe them on pure faith even though they can't possible know whether or not they are true.

If Christians told the TRUTH they could confess that the can't even know whether Jesus ever lived as a real person. Much less that he was the son of God.

Any Christian who "confesses" that Jesus is the son of God has already lied. To claim to confess that something is true they can't possibly know to be true is a lie.

If a Christian claims to be a "Witness" to God, when in truth they have never seen hide nor hair of God, then they are actually lying.

As far as I can see Christians lie all the time. Not only do they constantly tell lies about Jesus and their God, but they try to get other people to lie about these things too.

If I tell you that I see absolutely no reason to believe in the Bible and that it appears to be totally contradictory falsehoods to me, then I have spoken the TRUTH.

And ironically there are many Christians who feel that I should be condemned to hell for having told this TRUTH and that some imaginary God that they can't possibly know exists would somehow be "righteously justified" in condemning me to hell for having told the TRUTH.

~~~~~~

The problem is Wootah, that these ancient scriptures proclaim that those who merely do not believe that Jesus was the son of God will be condemned.

But if an honest person confesses TRUTHFULLY that they cannot possibly believe these absurd stories, then where is there any righteous justification for condemning these people for merely telling the HONEST TRUTH?

This religion cannot possible be true. And that is the TRUTH, and its a truth that you can figure out for yourself. You don't need to take my word for it. You can figure it out for yourself if you simply stop and think about it rationally.

If you can't honestly and trustfully believe in the Biblical claims being made about God, then how can that be held against you? How can HONESTY and TRUTHFULNESS be held against you and used to condemn you?

A God who is said to condemn people for merely being honest and truthful is clearly a fake religion.

There can be no doubt about it.

You shouldn't need me to see the TRUTH in this. It's not rocket science.
i was shocked in the old testament where god kills a man who admits his crimes although they are completely human you might say? maybe i am lacking in details somehow? so if i question god or a gods claim to fame the god that loves will condemn me? but i can only assume that in realm of absolute truth no lies are permitted? god if he chooses to come close brings that realm with him?