Is it a sin to lie when you don't actually lie?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

What if, in some weird happenstance, you THINK you're lying but, unbeknownst to you, you AREN'T. Is that a sin?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 3

lamar1234
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by lamar1234 »

A bank robber comes into a bank and says "Everybody on the ground! This is a robbery. If anyone gets in our way, we will kill them!"

A woman, for whatever reason, stands up with her hands in the air and says "Please let me go, I'm pregnant!"

Again, for whatever reason, the robber says "Give me your cell phone. Once I have it, you can go!"

fwr, she hands him her cellphone and he says "Get out of here, right now!"

For a VERY good reason, she walks slowly through the door.

The woman does NOT believe she is pregnant.

Did she sin?

The woman actually IS pregnant. I'm NOT asking about the adultery part, got it, that's BIG TIME sin! I'm drawing a distinction between 'thinking you're lying' when, oddly enough, you are not in FACT lying.

Does that change the answer?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Is it a sin to lie when you don't actually lie?

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

alexx wrote: kinda pointless question since the bible says all mankind are liars!? :study: :tongue:
Reference please
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

alexx
Student

Post #12

Post by alexx »

[Replying to post 11 by JehovahsWitness]

how about romans 3:4? let god be true but every an a liar!? :study: :-s

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Checkpoint »

alexx wrote: [Replying to post 11 by JehovahsWitness]

how about romans 3:4? let god be true but every an a liar!? :study: :-s
That is not a statement of fact, but an allusion to Psalm 116:11, which was said when hope was lost.

alexx
Student

Post #14

Post by alexx »

[Replying to post 13 by Checkpoint]

ok if the bible says all men are sinners and lying is a sin then........all men are liars!? :shock: :? ;)

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #15

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by lamar1234]

It makes me wonder why the person who thinks they're not being truthful but are, would care what anyone else thinks?
If sin is ultimately personal, no one should care what is or isn't a sin towards another. For example, if you lie, I don't care if it's a sin or not because I'm not the one who has to answer for it.
I think it's a sin to smoke, so I don't (for example). Is it a sin for YOU to smoke? I don't know I'd have to ask you, but for me it is. Will I be condemned for the sin of smoking if I'm not but you are? Nope. So as long as you don't blow smoke in my face, use the cig to burn down my house, etc, I don't much care if you smoke or not.
NO ONE on this site is responsible for any other person's sin. Yeah they like to espouse how right they are and how wrong you are, but ultimately, it doesn't matter past that point.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

Post by JehovahsWitness »

alexx wrote: [Replying to post 13 by Checkpoint]

ok if the bible says all men are sinners and lying is a sin then........all men are liars!? :shock: :? ;)

I think you've just presented a logical fallacy but I'm too lazy to look up which one

If all men are sinners - and raping is a sin then are all men rapists?
If all men are sinners and Killing your baby is a sin, then all men have killed their babies?

Apples are green; my car is green; my car is an apple.

In scripture at least, being "a sinner" is another way of saying "imperfect"; its another way of expressing the generally accepted idea that "nobody's perfect". It does not mean that all sins (serious or not) are committed by all people.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Closingaccountreadgmailna
Student

Post #17

Post by Closingaccountreadgmailna »

Jashwell wrote: [Replying to post 1 by lamar1234]

What do sins have to do with right and wrong?

That aside, do you consider any false answer to be a lie? Or is any intentionally deceitful answer a lie, even if it is true?
A lot. A sin is something that wounds us, your heart knows it's wrong. When you do a good deed with love, you know you're doing something right.

1755 A morally good act requires the goodness of the object, of the end, and of the circumstances together. An evil end corrupts the action, even if the object is good in itself (such as praying and fasting "in order to be seen by men").
The object of the choice can by itself vitiate an act in its entirety. There are some concrete acts - such as fornication - that it is always wrong to choose, because choosing them entails a disorder of the will, that is, a moral evil.

Source: Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Poll answer: If you are lying, you are lying and if you aren't lying, you aren't lying.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
Considering "sin" to be an indication a god's upset about something...

We're stuck waiting on that'n to come along who actually knows the mind of their proposed god.

Will you hold your breath 'til they do?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin