Why are guns and Christianity so cozy?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

lamar1234
Apprentice

Why are guns and Christianity so cozy?

Post #1

Post by lamar1234 »

I've seen Ray Comfort claim on numerous occasions, each with that beatific little grin, that "If someone tried to attack my family, I'd shoot that person in the arm or leg and work me way towards the center!"

Not every Christian owns a gun (I don't think).

Not every gun-owner is a Christian.

I grant those, but would you grant me that Evangelical or Conservative Christians do tend to be gun owners at a statistically significant rate?

The very notion, though, of uber-religious, Bible-literalist Christians even contemplating using a weapon while happily telling you "If you look at a woman with lust, you've already sinned."

I maintain that no one in the history of firearms has EVER owned a gun of any kind and NOT thought about using it or having to use it on a human being.

I see Olivia Wilde's perfect backside in that alien-cowboy movie and I've committed adultery.

But if someone purchases a gun and thinks about using it on someone, how are they not a murderer?

Jesus SAYS "If a man asks for your coat, give him your coat and your shirt" but some homeless person wanders up to you and your family and its ok to let him know you're packing? Why is it ok, in Christian Theology, to BE packing in the first place?

Davidjayjordan
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by Davidjayjordan »

Churchianity and guns are cozy because the church system is in bed with its political system and vice versa. They need each other and support each other for selfish interests.

Guns and the military are just the means of keeping control.

Real Christians do not need guns, and shouldnt have any...... but have the power and protection of the Lord behind them and in front of them. In MY OPINION

lafiera88
Student

Post #12

Post by lafiera88 »

Why do people make a big deal about Christians owning a gun? It's not a sin or an abomination and neither does it go against the teachings of God.More than half of the church I go to own guns including the pastor. David was a man after Gods own heart, did he not use weapons to defend himself and others, Does the Bible not also say there is a time of war and a time of peace, I'm pretty sure weapons are needed for war.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Re: Why are guns and Christianity so cozy?

Post #13

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by lamar1234]

Like most modern religions (seemingly at least) Christiainity had a physically, violent past. It also has a sense of strength and "I'm right not matter what you say" about it. I think these things tend to attract certain types of gun owners. Thus, the correlation.
Before anyone gets offended (PC'ness runs wild on this site) notice I didn't include EVERYONE and used words like 'tend' and 'certain'. :?

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #14

Post by Ancient of Years »

lefillegal wrote: [Replying to post 1 by lamar1234]

To end all confusion Jesus said "live by the sword die by the sword" concerning the protection of ones self. In any event, sword can be replaced with gun. So lets paraphrase, live by violence, die by violence, to paraphrase even further, the same tools you use to survive, will be the same tools used to destroy you. I rely on Christ. I fear not those who can destroy the flesh. I live by Christ, so I'll die by Christ. As for owning a gun, do I not own a gate? Can't my gate act as an tool to deter a thief? Can my gun act as a tool to deter a criminal? The same way stoning someone publicly, was to be used as a deterrent. Although it also served a function(returning the culprit to the father), its main purpose was to be used as a deterrent, not to just kill or punish people as believed. The same applies to today's deterrents. Yes today's tools( a gun) can definitely be used for violence, but they can also be used as a deterrent. That leaves any Christian with the right to determine which deterrent to use, and also when and how to use that deterrent if needed. A stone can be used as a tool or weapon, Christian gun owners choose to use the tools available correctly. In this case, the guns function is a deterrent and not a function of violence.
And as Jesus said if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. (Luke 22:36).
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

jeager106
Scholar

Post #15

Post by jeager106 »

I'm a Christian and have a lot of guns. Handguns, assault rifles, hunting rifles,
shotguns and probably a half dozen archery bows.
I target shoot, do some hunting, shoot clay birds, practice with my archery
bows.
I don't ever, ever, want to hurt another human with a firearm or anything else.
I've seen a whole lot of gun violence after serving as a policeman for over 22 years.
It's ugly.
But NO ONE is going to harm me or mine.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #16

Post by The Tanager »

jeager106 wrote: I'm a Christian and have a lot of guns. Handguns, assault rifles, hunting rifles,
shotguns and probably a half dozen archery bows.
I target shoot, do some hunting, shoot clay birds, practice with my archery
bows.
I don't ever, ever, want to hurt another human with a firearm or anything else.
I've seen a whole lot of gun violence after serving as a policeman for over 22 years.
It's ugly.
But NO ONE is going to harm me or mine.
Do you see your view towards owning and using guns as coming out of religious convictions as a Christian or as arising from somewhere else but also not being against your religious convictions?

bluedog
Student

Post #17

Post by bluedog »

[Replying to post 1 by lamar1234]

The right to bear arms and Christianity are "cozy" due to their innate relationship of "freedom" located in the founding principles of this republic. The straw argument presented here is like suggesting those that practice the American Tradition of Christmas are not Christians and immoral because Christmas is not directly mentioned in scripture.

In reality: 1. All US citizens have the "right" to bear arms (or own guns) and that right is inalienable (meaning non-transferable to another...even the US COURT SYSTEM). 2. All US citizens have the "right" to religious freedom based primarily on the written and oral traditions of Judeo/Christian philosophy located within the founding principles of this republic.

The straw argument suggesting that its somehow "immoral" and improper to be both a gun owner and a Christian is not only insulting to one's intelligence but a demonstration of "ignorance" to both US history and custom and the actual content and context of the Holy Scriptures (the very source of religious doctrine for any Christian)....as there is nothing within the revealed word of God that even hints of Sin in relation to owning a weapon that is to be the primary line of defense of life and property. Christ walked about daily with those who were "packing" or "strapped" (Luke 22:38). And was not the very first Gentile Christian Convert...an arm bearing Soldier with no prerequisite required to give up his occupation in order to become a Christian mentioned in scripture? (Acts 10).

When the Christ suggested to His apostles that it would be a good thing to purchase weapons when they went out on evangelical junkets, even to the point of selling their clothing and shoes if they did not already possess a sword.....2 of His followers stated....Here are 2 swords already among us....and the Lord said, that is enough...proves one thing, The Christ had no problem with DEFENSIVE weaponry being used to protect life and property.

And FYI...aren't there not enough "knee jerk" acts of regulation (laws) on the books already that limit the exercise of this innate right to bear arms ? Yet...with all the laws attempting to limit this right....none have limited the hard heart of the criminal in the act of taking the life of other citizens. Proving what? That Sin nor Morality are not subject to being legislated away...as long as FREE(will) exists.

Knee jerk liberals always have the mule attempting to push the plow.....it seems the answer to all things is taking away the rights of the Law Abiding 99% in order to punish the unlawful actions of the 1%. Its a formula to one thing.....FASCISM. Historically among the very first things that Fascists take away is the right of their citizens to defend themselves..i.e., their ability to arm themselves...
Last edited by bluedog on Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

bluedog
Student

Post #18

Post by bluedog »

Davidjayjordan wrote: Churchianity and guns are cozy because the church system is in bed with its political system and vice versa. They need each other and support each other for selfish interests.

Guns and the military are just the means of keeping control.

Real Christians do not need guns, and shouldnt have any...... but have the power and protection of the Lord behind them and in front of them. In MY OPINION
Are you suggesting that the Apostle Peter was not a "real follower" of the Christ, when its vividly clear that he (Peter) walked around "strapped" when the situation called for carrying a weapon? Read, be enlightened, "And suddenly one of those who were with Jesus STRETCHED OUT HIS HAND AND DREW HIS SWORD....." -- Matthew 26:51 O:)