How Soon Before You Can Make An Eternal Judgment?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

How Soon Before You Can Make An Eternal Judgment?

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Let's say you absolutely have to decide if someone goes to a good or bad place.

Is it even possible to ever make a judgment like that? Should everyone automatically go to the good place? Or the bad place?

Or is the whole system of eternal good and bad just a bad idea to begin with?

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Re: How Soon Before You Can Make An Eternal Judgment?

Post #11

Post by Hamsaka »

jgh7 wrote: Let's say you absolutely have to decide if someone goes to a good or bad place.

Is it even possible to ever make a judgment like that? Should everyone automatically go to the good place? Or the bad place?

Or is the whole system of eternal good and bad just a bad idea to begin with?
If it were me in this distinguished position to judge, I'd send everyone to the good place. I could not for any amount of money or immortality send anyone to the bad place, I do not have it in me, and I think that those who DO have it in them have deep seated psychological problems that a nice, long stay in the good place could heal.

This is how I look at the 'dilemma' of having the good place versus the bad place to end up (after one dies, I assume); first and foremost, I need to know for sure that the good and the bad place even exist in reality. I would have to know that looooong before I take up my wand and start sending anyone anywhere :)

Until I know it for sure, which I do not and neither does anyone else except in their deepest hopes and fears, I would just be blathering nonsense (in my own eyes). Actually sending anyone to either place is a decision I could only make AFTER being convinced of good and bad places. I do talk a lot of blather IRL, who doesn't? But this is a serious issue, where you send people to good or bad places. I'd take it very seriously, so seriously that I'd withhold my decision until I was positive such places existed.

And then if I was convinced beyond reasonable doubt, I'd send them all to the good place, even Ted Bundy and Hitler.

Imagine one of those guys coming to awareness in Heaven. Their psychopathic mental disorders would have vanished in Heaven, along with all the other physical ills (as per the doctrines).

That means Hitler and Bundy would have nothing between their memories of the atrocities they committed and their knowledge that they, themselves, committed such atrocities. To keep them from jumping off a cliff to Hell, for facing the horror and evil they did, would involve a cavalry of angels.

With our own petty sins, the feeling of being forgiven and loved anyway is like the Balm of Gilead. Imagine being Hitler or Bundy, and finding yourself in the good place in spite of your evil earthly activities, and not being allowed to destroy yourself in unimaginable shame and guilt. That's some pretty powerful healing, there.

This scenario is the only consistent one with a loving God.

The bad place part, Hell, is clearly a boogeyman to skeer the unwashed masses into obeying the priest class/kings/despots. It soothes people with violent hearts, and plenty of people have violent hearts, what can I say? A God of love wouldn't share the pathetically violent heart of mankind.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: How Soon Before You Can Make An Eternal Judgment?

Post #12

Post by rikuoamero »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 9 by puddleglum]

If isolation from a perfect universe was indeed the problem hell was supposed to solve, then there is no reason why hell must be a "bad" place.
Indeed. In real life, we have prisons that (varying from country to country) can have somewhat pleasant living standards, even for those there sentenced there for life.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense