What's Wrong with Being Sexy?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

What's Wrong with Being Sexy?

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Assuming one is a normal, well adjusted adult what's wrong with being or feeling sexy?

Either in .........................Behavior......................... or.................................. Dress?

............................Image .............................. Image

(And don't say that a normal, well adjusted adult would never want to be or feel sexy)

puddleglum
Sage

Post #11

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 10 by Miles]
Please remember that the issue isn't having sex and with whom, but being or feeling sexy.
Being sexy can tempt others to sin, in thought is not in act.
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
(Matthew 5:28 ESV)
The one who tempts someone to sin is just as guilty as the one who sins.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

BwhoUR
Sage

Re: What's Wrong with Being Sexy?

Post #12

Post by BwhoUR »

[Replying to post 1 by Miles]

Some of us can't help looking sexy. We are just built that way, should we wear potato sacks and frown all day? I know guys that think if a girl SMILES at them they think it's a come on. I also know guys who simply love women, how they smell, laugh, argue. There is no length a woman can go to to stop men from thinking about them sexually. I also believe that sexual repression through religious thought crime laws can actually manifest assaults and hate towards women. Where would a guy get the idea that a woman is RESPONSIBLE for the thoughts and sins of a man? ONLY in holy books.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by rikuoamero »

puddleglum wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Miles]
Please remember that the issue isn't having sex and with whom, but being or feeling sexy.
Being sexy can tempt others to sin, in thought is not in act.
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
(Matthew 5:28 ESV)
The one who tempts someone to sin is just as guilty as the one who sins.
In this thread, no religion or religious holy book was mentioned in the OP. So far, all your posts are just you spouting bible verse after bible verse, as if somehow repeating them will make us non-believers magically change our minds. That will not happen. We non-believers do not have a reason to believe your bible verses. You say that 'God's commands are for all of mankind', but you do not establish a reason for us to believe that
A) God exists
B) God gave these commands
C) That these commands are for all mankind

All you've done is given your opinion.
Okay, opinion given. You think that God says not to do these things. I don't believe you, since all you do is give Bible verses.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #14

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 13 by rikuoamero]
All you've done is given your opinion.
That is all anyone who has posted on this thread has done.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #15

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 14 by puddleglum]

Others have rebutted you using reasoning and logic. All you've done so far is (condensed) say "Here's what my favourite book says". None of the rest of us have your emotional fixation on what one particular book says.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #16

Post by The Tanager »

Haven wrote:Why would a god care about the sex lives of consenting adults? That seems like a very petty thing for an all-powerful deity to be concerned about.
Are you saying it is petty for just all-powerful beings, or it is petty for anyone to be concerned about the sex lives of consenting adults? Either way, why is this a petty concern? If sex affects the well-being (for good or bad or both) of an entity, why should its creator, or anyone else, not be concerned with it? Of course, there would be much debate over how sex affects one's well being and in what ways and all of that.
Haven wrote:Also, this is the morality section. What, exactly, is immoral about normal adults being sexy? Why is this wrong? I get that it's against your religion, but why should non-believers consider it to be immoral?
And even if it's against your religion, why is it against your religion? I'm not of the type that says 'just because God says so' and I don't think the Bible paints that picture of God, either. God has reasons for His moral principles. Those reasons are concerned with the well being of the individuals involved. And they would not be constricted to just being in the pages of the Bible, if true.

As far as being sexy, that is a vague term that can mean different things to different people. Some women are just going to be sexy or men will see them as sexy no matter what they wear. A woman's beauty is a gift of God, if God is her creator. But to paint a broad brush on my thoughts here, I don't think all that could be called "being sexy" is a bad thing. Some of the dangers of "being sexy" (and I think someone already said this) would involve some women being seen as objects by themselves (and therefore not having a healthy and complete self-image, for they are much more than the beauty of their bodies) as well as being seen as objects by others (and being used in that way by those who are stronger and willing to do so).

The Tanager
Savant

Post #17

Post by The Tanager »

suckka wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Miles]

Some of us can't help looking sexy. We are just built that way, should we wear potato sacks and frown all day? I know guys that think if a girl SMILES at them they think it's a come on. I also know guys who simply love women, how they smell, laugh, argue. There is no length a woman can go to to stop men from thinking about them sexually. I also believe that sexual repression through religious thought crime laws can actually manifest assaults and hate towards women. Where would a guy get the idea that a woman is RESPONSIBLE for the thoughts and sins of a man? ONLY in holy books.
I would be interested in looking at where the various holy books say that a woman is responsible for the thoughts and sins of a man, without the man having any responsibility. I'm not saying they aren't there and I'm not limiting it to the Christian scriptures, I'm just honestly curious about this. Which specific texts are you referring to?

puddleglum
Sage

Post #18

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 17 by The Tanager]

The Bible teaches that we must avoid doing anything that would cause another person to sin.

Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.
(Romans 14:13 ESV)

Even if there were no specific command the golden rule would be show that it is wrong. We wouldn't want anyone else to do something that would lead us to be guilty of sin.

Haven
Guru

Post #19

Post by Haven »

[color=indigo]The Tanager[/color] wrote:
Are you saying it is petty for just all-powerful beings, or it is petty for anyone to be concerned about the sex lives of consenting adults? Either way, why is this a petty concern? If sex affects the well-being (for good or bad or both) of an entity, why should its creator, or anyone else, not be concerned with it? Of course, there would be much debate over how sex affects one's well being and in what ways and all of that.
I'm saying it's petty for anyone to be concerned over the sex lives of consenting adults. There's no harm being done by consensual sexual activity, so there's no reason to treat it as a moral concern.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

The Tanager
Savant

Post #20

Post by The Tanager »

puddleglum wrote:The Bible teaches that we must avoid doing anything that would cause another person to sin.

Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.
(Romans 14:13 ESV)

Even if there were no specific command the golden rule would be show that it is wrong. We wouldn't want anyone else to do something that would lead us to be guilty of sin.
Within and without Christianity I think we should be self-sacrificially concerned for each other's best. Even to the point of giving up something for ourselves that is not sin/harmful in order to keep others away from harm.

So, for instance, I have no problem with drinking alcohol. I hardly ever do because although I do like some alcoholic drinks, it's not something I really really enjoy, plus the cost of it and what I want to do with my limited funds. But I will drink every now and then. But within Christianity there are some Christians who feel strongly about drinking being a sin. I wouldn't drink in front of them. I may try to discuss the issue with them, listen to them and share my own thoughts. And in the broader sense there are many people who are recovering alcoholics and I wouldn't drink in front of them if that made it harder for them in their recovery.

But I don't think this verse means that we are responsible for their sinning (or that they are responsible for our own). I'm a bit unsure if there are times when we directly cause other people sin. If we force someone to do something, they aren't the ones sinning even if their bodies are performing the harmful action. And if we are tempting others to sin, while we are sinning and making it harder for them in their moral choice, we aren't making them sin. I believe free will exists and that we are all morally responsible for our own choices.