Raising Children Religious or Non-Religious

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Raising Children Religious or Non-Religious

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Is it best to raise children not to believe in religions? Is it best to teach them that religions are false made up stories and that it's illogical to believe in them?

Or is it best to raise children religious, to teach them to seek to have faith in a religion?

Or is it somewhere in the middle: say you're not sure but encourage them to freely pursue it as they see fit?

What is the best way to raise children with respect to religion? Is the best way invariably based on your own religious beliefs or lack thereof?

Also, if you raise your child one way, but they turn out to be the other later on, would you be dissapointed/angry in your child?

KenRU
Guru

Re: Raising Children Religious or Non-Religious

Post #21

Post by KenRU »

fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
[Replying to OnceConvinced]

No one is actually cemented in to Christianity since it is an individual decision to follow Christ or not, God would have it no other way.

And yet, the vast majority of ppl never leave the religion they were brought in for another one.

Was that god's plan as well?

Actually my statement was too vague ,If one is truly saved they will never become unsaved but one has to make their own decision upon reaching a point where they can understand the gospel message,but...there are many people who spend a lifetime serving in the church without truly understanding what is required to be saved.In one sense they are cemented in to the church but will still go to hell,but many people are cemented in to a secular way of life.One way offers hope,the other offers none.Everyone who genuinely accepts Jesus Christ as their savior will not desire to turn away.

Sounds like now you are making room for the possibility that there is no choice?

While conversions from one faith to another (or from secular to religious) are not common, they do happen.

The simple fact is, however, that most never leave the faith they were brought up in. In my experience, most never question the validity of other faiths (or the invalidity of their own), and are just content to take what was taught to them as a child as either sufficient or truthful.

-all the best

Choice is absolutely necessary ,the problem is that some churches that call themselves Christian teach that salvation can be earned, but that is not what scripture says, salvation is a gift.
I was always taught that both faith and works are necessary:

James 2:24-26New International Version (NIV)

24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

If a professed born again Christian converts to another religion or atheism, he was never truly a Christian to begin with.
How convenient that must be for rationalizing theology.

No True Scotsman, and all I guess.
Most don't leave the faith they were brought up in but that is because they choose to stay, and i believe, from personal experience and the testimony of others, that everyone has questions and doubts at some point in their life.
Agreed.
That is why 1 Peter 3:15 tells us to be ready with an answer.
We being the person leaving the faith, or we being his community?
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

fstopper
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by fstopper »

KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:

No one is actually cemented in to Christianity since it is an individual decision to follow Christ or not, God would have it no other way.

And yet, the vast majority of ppl never leave the religion they were brought in for another one.

Actually my statement was too vague ,If one is truly saved they will never become unsaved but one has to make their own decision upon reaching a point where they can understand the gospel message,but...there are many people who spend a lifetime serving in the church without truly understanding what is required to be saved.In one sense they are cemented in to the church but will still go to hell,but many people are cemented in to a secular way of life.One way offers hope,the other offers none.Everyone who genuinely accepts Jesus Christ as their savior will not desire to turn away.

Sounds like now you are making room for the possibility that there is no choice?

While conversions from one faith to another (or from secular to religious) are not common, they do happen.

The simple fact is, however, that most never leave the faith they were brought up in. In my experience, most never question the validity of other faiths (or the invalidity of their own), and are just content to take what was taught to them as a child as either sufficient or truthful.

-all the best

Choice is absolutely necessary ,the problem is that some churches that call themselves Christian teach that salvation can be earned, but that is not what scripture says, salvation is a gift.

24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

If a professed born again Christian converts to another religion or atheism, he was never truly a Christian to begin with.

Most don't leave the faith they were brought up in but that is because they choose to stay, and i believe, from personal experience and the testimony of others, that everyone has questions and doubts at some point in their life.
Agreed.

Faith should be followed by good works, but salvation is not attained through works.
Convenient or not God will never let a true convert go, and no true convert will desire to go.There are many pretenders in all walks of life.
Whatever God says through scripture he is talking to Christians or seekers of God.

KenRU
Guru

Post #23

Post by KenRU »

fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:

-all the best

Agreed.

Faith should be followed by good works, but salvation is not attained through works.
Convenient or not God will never let a true convert go, and no true convert will desire to go.There are many pretenders in all walks of life.
Whatever God says through scripture he is talking to Christians or seekers of God.
If god will never let a true convert go, then there is no reason to bring up a child in a religion, is there? Just encourage (in general terms) the search for god, be genuine, and he should lead the child to the proper faith, correct?

As for faith and works, if works isn't required for salvation, why bother? I won't need it for salvation. Correct?
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

fstopper
Apprentice

Post #24

Post by fstopper »

KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:

-all the best

Agreed.

If god will never let a true convert go, then there is no reason to bring up a child in a religion, is there? Just encourage (in general terms) the search for god, be genuine, and he should lead the child to the proper faith, correct?

As for faith and works, if works isn't required for salvation, why bother? I won't need it for salvation. Correct?

Everyone brings up a child in some way or another,either with religion or wjth atheism/agnosticism just by our actions if nothing else.God will lead to some extent but is still up to the individual to take a step or two as well.
As I said,a Christian will,or should,desire to do good works in appreciation for what Jesus has done for him,or her.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #25

Post by OnceConvinced »

fstopper wrote: [Replying to OnceConvinced]

You have obviously never been indoctrinated since birth. Once you are cemented in and you are influenced to think a certain way then it becomes a majory difficult task to break out. Not impossible, after all concrete is not indestructible but it certainly makes it extremely difficult. In fact the person cemented in there isn't even aware they have been cemented in there unless someone chips away at that concrete in an attempt to get them out.

It makes no difference what you think God's will is. The reality is when you are so soundly indoctrinated as I was, you may never escape. You may not even realise there is something that needs escaping from. You may think that concrete is actually part of your life and it couldn't possibly be any other way.

fstopper wrote: We all influence our children to some extent simply by our lifestyle.Children are like sponges, they see, hear and learn from everything we do, so everyone brings up their kids to be religious or otherwise..
I was brought up in a Christian home. I was taught certain things as absolute truths. That things like evolution were a lie of the devil. I had that all so engrained in me it was not just a matter of choosing to be free of it. It took several years for me to break free and it was only because I learnt to think for myself and because people took the time to try to break away the concrete. Some people never learn to think for themselves. Some people remain in their little christian bubble all their lives and never come across anyone who's really trying to chip away the concrete.

fstopper wrote: Christ made it very simple when he said, if your not for me, you are against me
Blatant paranoia, not to mention a logical fallacy.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #26

Post by OnceConvinced »

fstopper wrote:
Actually my statement was too vague ,If one is truly saved they will never become unsaved
Which is completely against what the bible preaches. Even Paul realised that he could fall.

I Corinthians 9:27
I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Let's not get into the True Scotsman fallacy. All you will do is insult and disrespect those of us who spent many years genuinely following Jesus.

fstopper wrote: but one has to make their own decision upon reaching a point where they can understand the gospel message,but...there are many people who spend a lifetime serving in the church without truly understanding what is required to be saved.
I would question why a loving God would allow this to happen without putting them straight. Why would he allow them to waste so much time?
fstopper wrote: .Everyone who genuinely accepts Jesus Christ as their savior will not desire to turn away.
I agree. As with me I had absolutely no desire to turn away. I fought and I fought. Spent several years crying out to God and getting no reply. I never rejected Christ, nor did I turn away from him. It was simply a matter of a very painful realisation that I didn't believe anymore. If I could have continued to believe, I would have, but I couldn't.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

fstopper
Apprentice

Post #27

Post by fstopper »

Actually i am no longer paranoid in the least, and i,m not sure how it is a logical fallacy.

fstopper
Apprentice

Post #28

Post by fstopper »

OnceConvinced wrote:
fstopper wrote:
Actually my statement was too vague ,If one is truly saved they will never become unsaved
Which is completely against what the bible preaches. Even Paul realised that he could fall.

I Corinthians 9:27
I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Let's not get into the True Scotsman fallacy. All you will do is insult and disrespect those of us who spent many years genuinely following Jesus.

fstopper wrote: but one has to make their own decision upon reaching a point where they can understand the gospel message,but...there are many people who spend a lifetime serving in the church without truly understanding what is required to be saved.
I would question why a loving God would allow this to happen without putting them straight. Why would he allow them to waste so much time?
fstopper wrote: .Everyone who genuinely accepts Jesus Christ as their savior will not desire to turn away.
I agree. As with me I had absolutely no desire to turn away. I fought and I fought. Spent several years crying out to God and getting no reply. I never rejected Christ, nor did I turn away from him. It was simply a matter of a very painful realisation that I didn't believe anymore. If I could have continued to believe, I would have, but I couldn't.
Paul was expressing his opinion that he deserved lose the prize, if he stumbled.

I in no way meant to insult any true follower of Christ.
God allows people complete freedom of choice so some will make the wrong choice.I know a number of former RCs who left that church after reading for themselves the way to salvation.
Gods reply comes in his timeframe,i know that i may no longer be alive(on earth) before some prayers are answered, but i will continue to pray, if i give up that is my fault.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #29

Post by OnceConvinced »

fstopper wrote: [Replying to OnceConvinced]

Actually i am no longer paranoid in the least, and i,m not sure how it is a logical fallacy.
I'm not saying you are. I'm saying Jesus was. And it is most definitely a logical fallacy. Not being for someone does not mean you are against them. There is also neutral ground.

fstopper wrote:
Paul was expressing his opinion that he deserved lose the prize, if he stumbled.
Yes, the prize being Heaven. So he is in effect saying it is possible to have been a true Christian and then to become an ex one. I can produced many more scriptures to that effect.
fstopper wrote: I in no way meant to insult any true follower of Christ.
The people you are insulting are those who were once followers of Christ. People who put their heart and soul into it and who spent many years dedicated to it. If you were to just flag them away as not being true Christians then that would be a blatant and ignorant insult. Something that would just alienate you when it came to many former Christians here on this site.
fstopper wrote: Gods reply comes in his timeframe,i know that i may no longer be alive(on earth) before some prayers are answered, but i will continue to pray, if i give up that is my fault.
Some times it's not a matter of giving up. Some times it's coming to a realisation that what you are doing is futile, so what is the point in continuing? Giving up would mean that you knew that it was possible, but for you, you don't want to... or didn't feel you had the ability to obtain it.

KenRU
Guru

Post #30

Post by KenRU »

fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:
KenRU wrote:
fstopper wrote:

-all the best

Agreed.

Everyone brings up a child in some way or another,either with religion or wjth atheism/agnosticism just by our actions if nothing else.God will lead to some extent but is still up to the individual to take a step or two as well.
But, ultimately, it is a choice?
As I said,a Christian will,or should,desire to do good works in appreciation for what Jesus has done for him,or her.
But it is not required for salvation. Correct?