Religion,Morality,Religion.

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Religion,Morality,Religion.

Post #1

Post by Taff Lafferty »

Do animals need `god-given' morality to understand how to care for their young, co-operate within a pack, or feel anguish at the loss of a companion ?

If not, why do we?
Taff Lafferty

I see you

Monta
Guru

Re: Religion,Morality,Religion.

Post #2

Post by Monta »

Taff Lafferty wrote: Do animals need `god-given' morality to understand how to care for their young, co-operate within a pack, or feel anguish at the loss of a companion ?

If not, why do we?
Good question.
We are human, animals are animals, they do not possess understanding,
ability to judge right from wrong; they live by instinct.
Purpose for our creation is heaven.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Post #3

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by Taff Lafferty]

Because people like to think we (humanity) are the most advanced, god-like thing in creation and in order for it to 'jive' with our beliefs, we accept things are lesser than us.
That is a mindset that is truly disgusting to me in every possible way.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #4

Post by Bust Nak »

Taff Lafferty wrote: Do animals need `god-given' morality to understand how to care for their young, co-operate within a pack, or feel anguish at the loss of a companion ?
No.
If not, why do we?
Loaded question - We don't.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

If not, why do we?

Well, if God created animals He put their instictive compassion in them. (They also eat their Young so, there's a limit to how much morals we can glean from the animal kingdom).

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Taff Lafferty
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Taff Lafferty »

Some interesting answers, and some really poor ones. Of course the question is loaded it has to be to try and provoke a response in the direction of the debate.

I for one think animals function with more honesty and sympathy with their environment than we as a species. That life is one we previously had until we functioned at level that prompted evolution of thought and deed, but what was created in amongst that evolution the debate as to its necessity.
Taff Lafferty

I see you

iam1me
Student

Post #7

Post by iam1me »

I do not think that belief in God is necessary for morals; that certainly isn't a scriptural sentiment. To the contrary, we all have the capacity to understand right from wrong and everyone learns some form of morality growing up.

However, not all moral systems are equal and not everyones understanding of a given moral system are equal. Through the scriptures, through God's Law, through Christ's teachings, we come to a deeper place of understanding concerning the nature of morality than if we just went off and tried to develop our own private philosophy on the matter; as many do. Indeed, it is an interesting exercise to really study Christian morality in comparison to that of other religions. People like to say that they are all the same - but those people clearly have never studied these religions with any depth. Perhaps a topic for another thread?

At any rate; that is how I tend to view religion in relation to morality - as a guide to teach us. You maybe able to get some insight on your own, but only a full understanding thereof will be found through indepth study of the teachings and commands of God.

Donray
Guru

Post #8

Post by Donray »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

If not, why do we?

Well, if God created animals He put their instictive compassion in them. (They also eat their Young so, there's a limit to how much morals we can glean from the animal kingdom).

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
Could you list some animals that eat there young when born alive.

tryme
Student

Post #9

Post by tryme »

[Replying to post 2 by Monta]

So you are saying that animals act judiciously by instinct?

Neatras
Guru

Post #10

Post by Neatras »

Taff Lafferty wrote: I for one think animals function with more honesty and sympathy with their environment than we as a species. That life is one we previously had until we functioned at level that prompted evolution of thought and deed, but what was created in amongst that evolution the debate as to its necessity.
There are primate species that employ tactics for lying, cheating, and subterfuge; there are canine species that utilize hierarchical ordering in spite of the fact that an omega may be emotionally traumatized or even feel driven to leave the pack.
Patriarchal systems in many species rely on the "un-marriageable" males for menial and unrewarding labor.

Nature is brutally unsympathetic, and our glorification of animal cohabitation and pack mentality can often disguise the ugly similarities between all walks of life, including ours.