Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

man
Banned
Banned

Without God Life Has No Purpose

Post #1

Post by man »

I Googled that phrase and came up with this.

https://www.google.com/#q=without+god+l ... no+purpose

This is what religious people are being taught by their leaders. So we have all these people walking around thinking that there is an empty hole inside them that can only be filled by god and without god there lives have no purpose or meaning.

The thing that strikes me as being strange is I have always regarded all religions as myth and I am not a believer of any of them, but at the same time I don't have this empty hole inside me they talk about. I have never felt that my life has no purpose or meaning and in fact all of the things that these religious people say I need don't ever even cross my mind.

There is so much interesting REAL stuff to learn that I am so busy reading, working or doing whatever I happen to be interested in at the moment to have time to even think about this hole I am supposed to have inside me that I can't find. If anything I need a bigger hole to fit all of the things that I occupy myself with, my hole runneth over!

Anyway, I started thinking about teaching people that nonsense and it struck me as being a cruel thing to do. It's tantamount to saying, hey there is something wrong with you (when there isn't) and then telling them that you have the cure.

The phrase snake oil salesman comes to mind.

Tcg
Savant

Post #111

Post by Tcg »

ThePainefulTruth wrote:
Yes, we can all say that we give ourselves purpose, but that purpose dies when we die if there is no God.
Martin Luther King Jr. is dead, but his purpose certainly isn't.

IOW, without God, we have no ultimate purpose.
If by ultimate, you mean eternal, then of course not. Humans aren't eternal and neither are any of their purposes.

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Post #112

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

Tcg wrote:
ThePainefulTruth wrote:
Yes, we can all say that we give ourselves purpose, but that purpose dies when we die if there is no God.
HIS purpose died with him in this world, but his cause still exists and is carried on by the people who remember him. But even if the memory of him dies, that cause can still be honored or reignited by others.

If by ultimate, you mean eternal, then of course not. Humans aren't eternal and neither are any of their purposes.
If there is a God, our souls may be...eternal--or more correctly, timeless.

Tcg
Savant

Post #113

Post by Tcg »

ThePainefulTruth wrote:
Tcg wrote:
ThePainefulTruth wrote:
HIS purpose died with him in this world, but his cause still exists...
In this context, they sound like the same thing to me. You'll have to disagree I suppose given that would create problems for the perspective you are pushing.

If there is a God, our souls may be...eternal--or more correctly, timeless.
If there is a God that does the things you think a God would do. Introducing the unproven idea of human souls doesn't help your argument. If such things exist, they may or may not be eternal regardless of whether or not a God exists.

Your argument is based on too many assumptions. Both about the nature of God, if such a thing exists, and on the nature of human souls, if such things exist.

Menotu
Sage

Re: Without God Life Has No Purpose

Post #114

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by man]

That's a horrible way of thinking to me. Why do we need to rely on something else to have purpose? Sounds like if you think this you're setting yourself up for failure. Unless you believe in this concept. Even still, I think deep down, you still are setting yourself up for failure as you can't compare to perfection, even when you can't provide what perfection is.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Re: Without God Life Has No Purpose

Post #115

Post by 2Dbunk »

Menotu wrote: [Replying to post 1 by man]

That's a horrible way of thinking to me. Why do we need to rely on something else to have purpose? Sounds like if you think this you're setting yourself up for failure. Unless you believe in this concept. Even still, I think deep down, you still are setting yourself up for failure as you can't compare to perfection, even when you can't provide what perfection is.
First (pardon me if it has been mentioned before), doesn't this belong under 'Philosophy and Religion?'

So I answer this premise philosophically:

WE LIVE -- that is an awesome plus, to say the least. It's the best show between Mercury and Pluto, par none -- AND BEYOND to as far as we can reconnoiter, and we can reconnoiter pretty far.

Let's see: we haven't found any angels sitting on clouds when we got that high with aeronautics; we went to the Moon but did not find heaven, but instead a crater pocked desert; need I go on? Maybe that hole ("no purpose") is really curiosity -- we can't seem to quench that desire to know! If there is a hole in non-theist's makeup, it has been put there by this mysterious 'God,' the Master of the Gaps.

So far, I've spoken for life's plethora of partying, and don't say that it isn't a party but some melancholy trek from cradle to grave, always worshipping that entity who died on the cross for us so that whoever believes of 'Him' will live in eternal melancholy. BUT THERE'S MORE (and theists talk of 'no purpose'):

EXISTENCE ITSELF!!! The Cosmos exist, like no pot-pourri that has ever existed -- NAY, think of an infinite kaleidoscope accompanied by the grandest orchestra one can imagine, and that might get you one-tenth of what I'm trying to describe (keep in mind that one-tenth of infinity is equal to infinity). Now, an individual's hole that you talk of on this scale is infinitesimal -- compare that to the meaning of the Cosmos and what do you have?

I'm all ears.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.