The Knowledge of Good and Evil

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Knowledge of Good and Evil

Post #1

Post by William »

A recent thread which claimed that good and evil were just opinions got me to thinking about the Garden of Eden story.

In the story, the GOD appears not to want human beings to know of good and evil, and that in gaining the knowledge, the problems began for humanity.

So I was wondering what thoughts others might have on the subject of what kind of world we would live in without this knowledge, or as some argue - without this opinion - of good and evil.

:?:

bluethread
Savant

Re: The Knowledge of Good and Evil

Post #31

Post by bluethread »

JP Cusick wrote:
bluethread wrote: Adonai does not say the knowledge in general is harmful. It is the fruit of the knowledge of ... that is harmful,
What you say here is wrong but I still appreciate it because I had to go look up the story to see what was right.

It is "the knowledge" and not the fruit.

It was Eve who said it inaccurately as "the fruit" here in Genesis 3:3

But God said that is was "the knowledge" see Genesis 2:17

Then at last God drove out the people because they had the poisoned knowledge (not the fruit but the knowledge of good and bad) per Genesis 3:22-24

If is had been the fruit as claimed by Eve then that would have been an entirely different message for us today, so you really peaked my interest.

Even claiming that it was an "apple" is following the error of Eve and of the serpent who saw it as the fruit instead of it being poisoned knowledge.
I said nothing about an "apple". Also, you blew off the entire point I was making. You are obsessing over the English translation. "Good" and "evil", and "bad" for that matter, are best guess stand ins for the terms "tov" and "ra". One of the primary purposes of the first three chapters is to define these terms and establish there relationship with one another. Arguing over whether the phrase "of the tree" refers to the knowledge itself or the fruit of that knowledge ignores the historical context in favor of obsessing over the analogy.
bluethread wrote: ... especially in a society without natural constraints.
Therefore, Adonai blessed Adam and Havah with natural constraints after the fall.
God gave humanity coats of skin (physical body) thereafter which does create natural restraints, but that is just a bandage on the wound.

The same old poisoned knowledge is still infected into humanity ever after and going onward today into the 21st century.
Yes, the fruit of the new found ability is that it made man incompatible with his environment. Man now has the ability to manipulate the environment and so the environment was changed to provide checks on those abilities. Man was able to manipulate the environment before. He just did not have the ability to manipulate it beyond what was "tov". Now, I do not think that this supports some Gaian or Luddite philosophy. As far as I know, HaTorah does not oppose technology. It only opposes the worship of technology, as well as the worship of nature. The point of the mythology is that we live in a challenging world, because we are now creatures that innovate in self centered and self destructive manners, "ra'". The challenges help to keep these in check.

Left Site
Apprentice

Post #32

Post by Left Site »

Rufus21 wrote:
BusB wrote:The truth is that they knew full well that they were choosing to do wrong.
How could they know that when they didn't know the difference between right and wrong?
They had lived with God's presence and he had been teaching them the same as your parents taught you and my parents taught me.

I remember those early days vividly. I remember that I did not have to toy with premarital sex to know it was wrong and I stood my ground, staying chaste until after the age of 18 when I let bad association cause me to go against what I knew was right.

Prior to that age I had countless times tried to be seduced by young woman who due to a lack of proper up-bringing were puzzled that I didn't lust after them as did other boys. In a way my values made me a target but that I was fully able to handle and resist.

It was my male friends who after the age of 18 got me to violate my values so as to measure up among my ill-chosen peers. And, like Eve, I understood fully that what I chose to do was wrong, even though I had never before dabbled in it.

That is how to be honest with one's self. Say it how it was and don't make any excuses. Nothing does excuse our going against what we know to be right. It is a mercy of God that he is even willing to forgive us for it.

Edit: And before anyone asks if I am gay, let me just say that if I were it would be setting a new president, for, I have never in my life felt even the slightest attraction for other men.

I have always felt that the best thing God ever created for man was woman. And I have all my life felt that so intensely that once I caved against my belief that pre-marital sex was wrong, it unleashed quite a huge problem for me. My lust for women became what seemed impossible to control so as to return back to my previous state of chastity.

Rufus21
Scholar

Re: Reply:

Post #33

Post by Rufus21 »

JP Cusick wrote: The correct wording is important and the correct wording was = the knowledge of good and bad.
No, the correct working is "the knowledge of good and evil".

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Genesis 2:17

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." Genesis 3:5

You gave a link to this in your earlier post but apparently you didn't read it.

JP Cusick wrote: The word "bad" is not the same as "evil" and using the wrong words confuses the message.
The bible specifically uses the word evil.
Last edited by Rufus21 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus21
Scholar

Post #34

Post by Rufus21 »

BusB wrote: They had lived with God's presence and he had been teaching them the same as your parents taught you and my parents taught me.
Can you cite the scripture that supports that opinion? I don't remember anything about God teaching them anything other than "Don't eat from that tree." How long had they been in God's presence? What moral lessons was he teaching them?

bluethread
Savant

Post #35

Post by bluethread »

Rufus21 wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: The word "bad" is not the same as "evil" and using the wrong words confuses the message.
Sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic here, but the term is "ra'". The English terms, "evil" and "bad" carry many connotations that are not inherent in that term. In the context of the first three chapters it refers to not "tov"(Adonai's ways). The principle, as developed as one progresses through the Tanakh(OT) is "the ways of the nations". If one is to get into a discussion over specific terms, arguing for the best fit term of a translation is not best evidence and often focus the discussion on the English language and not the actual historical, grammatical and cultural context, which is the proper focus in literary criticism.

Rufus21
Scholar

Post #36

Post by Rufus21 »

[Replying to bluethread]

Thanks for the insight! Obviously that passage has a lot of meaning that we aren't getting from the simplified translation (or a simplified reading).

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #37

Post by JP Cusick »

Rufus21 wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: The correct wording is important and the correct wording was = the knowledge of good and bad.
No, the correct working is "the knowledge of good and evil".

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Genesis 2:17

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." Genesis 3:5

You gave a link to this in your earlier post but apparently you didn't read it.

I know that is the modern interpretation of the word, and I am just saying that the interpretation is not true.

The proof is by actually doing the mental discipline because by doing it and stop using that poisoned knowledge then it becomes clear that the concept is correct by being "good and bad" because they harmonize with each other and harmonize with the message in Genesis and corresponds to real life.

The word evil has an entirely different application.

It is like watching a Football game on TV and everything on TV looks so easy and exactly over the TV set, but in real life application it is just not the same.

To seek the truth then we actually have to get up and go out and seek the truth we must put it into action in order to know.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

bluethread
Savant

Post #38

Post by bluethread »

Rufus21 wrote: [Replying to bluethread]

Thanks for the insight! Obviously that passage has a lot of meaning that we aren't getting from the simplified translation (or a simplified reading).
Yes, generally it is viewed as a detailed literal explanation of the origins of the universe, from the prospective of the scientific era. Many believe that they must accept that prospective. However, that is like interpreting the Declaration of Independence and/or the Constitution of these United States as scientific treatises. When approaching any literary work, one must do so in light of the historical setting of the time of it's writing, the language and grammar of the work and the culture of the people to whom it was originally written. These three generally accepted literary standards are rarely taken into account when people talk about what is written in the Scriptures.

Left Site
Apprentice

Post #39

Post by Left Site »

Rufus21 wrote:
BusB wrote: They had lived with God's presence and he had been teaching them the same as your parents taught you and my parents taught me.
Can you cite the scripture that supports that opinion? I don't remember anything about God teaching them anything other than "Don't eat from that tree." How long had they been in God's presence? What moral lessons was he teaching them?
I don't see any point in doing so.

It is too easy to deny that something is there when we don't want to see it is there.