Hey Christians....... Is the bible immoral?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

tryme
Student

Hey Christians....... Is the bible immoral?

Post #1

Post by tryme »

What's up with this?

Deuteronomy 6:1
“Now this is the commandment, the statutes and the rules that the Lord your God commanded me to teach you

Deuteronomy 21:18-21
“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, 19 then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, 20 and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ 21 Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones".

Now, if this Moses guy had encountered the one true living god, why couldn't he grasp some basic modern psychological principles of discipline, attatchment and child rearing? Or even maybe mental illness? And HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU CALL THIS BOOK HOLY?

Left Site
Apprentice

Re: Hey Christians....... Is the bible immoral?

Post #31

Post by Left Site »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:
bluethread wrote: These arguments are problematic. This one because it leaves one hard pressed to say what punishment is enforceable.
The laws and rules are still valid and true but the punishment of eternal death is now gone and removed based on the payment given by Jesus on the cross.

We are still punished by the sins, but not punished for the sins.

------------------------------------------------
McCulloch wrote: If it was a good rule, why would God change it? How do you know which rules changed and which rules did not? Are there any of the other Ten Commandments that are no longer in force? The old punishment is no longer enforceable. Does that mean that the rule is still in place or has the rule itself been rescinded?
The rules and commandments were not really changed, because it was just the punishment and the penalty that got removed and done away.

It is still a sin to break the Sabbath, but now there is no penalty or punishment.

Jesus paid the price in full on the cross so now every person gets saved.

Of course we are still punished by the sins, but not punished for the sins.

So if we commit murder (break any commandment) then we might go to prison or just live with a horrible guilty conscience or pay in other penalties caused by the sin itself, but there is no more punishment after death because Jesus paid the penalty in full.
JP Cusick wrote: Jesus paid the price in full on the cross so now every person gets saved.
According to Christian doctrine God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. When God created Adam and Eve and the serpent, He did it in the full foreknowledge of what they would become, and what they would eventually do. God does not make mistakes. When God brought Adam and Eve and the serpent together in the garden he did it in the full foreknowledge of exactly what would happen, and when. Jesus "paid the price in full on the cross" for the realization of what was God's plan from the very beginning.

What kind of a God do you worship?
The only mention of the word, "Omnipotent", in the Bible is found at Revelation 19:6. When the Greek word there being translated is looked up we find that it is, "pantokrator." Pantokrator does not mean, "All Powerful", in an absolute sense such as the ability to do absolutely anything, but it refers specifically to being "all-ruling". In other words, it means that there is no limit to what is under the authority of God's sovereignty. Not that he can poof a change to all that falls under his authority but that he has the absolute right to judge it as something which should or should not be allowed to continue on indefinitely. And when in his Omnipotence he judges that a thing will not be permitted to continue indefinitely, he then has the knowledge and wisdom and right to set in place a plan to overthrow the objectionable thing and bring about an end to it.

The other two words you used, omniscient and omnipresent, are not in the Bible at all. These two words are ideas dreamed up by men as they incompletely comprehended the Scriptures.

Omniscient, for example, means, "All Knowing." You, just as many others do, have interpreted that to be in an absolute sense so that even before a thing comes into being God must know all the details of what it will be and do. However, that idea fails miserably when weighed against all that the Scriptures speak concerning how God knows what he knows. If God already knew literally "all things" then he would never be seen having to search a matter out. But he is shown having to search things out: Revelation 2:23 "And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works."; Proverbs 24:12 "If thou sayest, Behold, we knew not this; Doth not he that weigheth the hearts consider it? And he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know<(Hebrew, "yada", properly to ascertain by seeing; thus "get to know") it? And shall not he render to every man according to his work? (Tyndale words Proverbs 24:12 as follows: "If thou wilt say: I knew not of it; Thinkest thou that he which made the hearts, doth not consider it? And that he which regardeth thy soul, seeth it not? Shall not he recompense every man according to his works?") (Compare Genesis 18:26, 28, 30); Psalms 44:20- 21 "If we have forgotten the name of our God, Or spread forth our hands to a strange god; Will not God search this out? For he knoweth the secrets of the heart."

What we see is that God knows by looking and seeing and that he has the knowledge and wisdom needed so that he always understands what he sees. Just as 1 Chronicles 28:9 said, in part, "Jehovah searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts."

I will not speak concerning the word, "ominipresent", but to say that it is not what most people think, either.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Hey Christians....... Is the bible immoral?

Post #32

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 14 by Wootah]
Working on the Sabbath is bad for everyone.
Is it? I work some Saturdays just fine. So do a lot of other people. I still get my two days off every week.
I once knew a guy who worked every day, and he was just fine with it.
In most cases it was a way of protecting the poor (the ones who would be forced to work).
And according to the story, the person picking up the sticks was the one being executed. Not the one who maybe might have commanded him to do it.
I would agree to the death of a boss that did not allow their workers to rest. Wouldn't you?
No. I would agree to them being removed from office/fired, being prevented from managing workers for some period of time or ever again...but the death penalty?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense