Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Is contraception use a sin?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

Catholics believe that contraception use is a sin. Leviticus goes in depth about how to prepare an animal sacrifice. There are countless laws and prohibitions throughout the Bible, from what not to eat to what not to wear and not a single mention in the law that prohibits any form of contraceptive.

If contraception is a sin, why is there not a single commandment against it in the entire Bible? God felt the need to tell us to not eat bacon and to not mix fabrics but he never said a single thing about contraception. So why do Catholics believe it's a sin?

A defense Catholics often use is to bring up Onan who was killed by God for "spilling the seed". This, however, can clearly be explained away by the fact that Onan disobeyed a direct order from God to impregnate Tamar. This is similar to Lot's wife being punished for disobeying a direct order from God to not look around. But just as turning around isn't a sin in itself, "spilling the seed" can't be considered a sin either.

Is contraception use a sin? Is there any Biblical support for this belief?

RightReason
Under Probation

Re: Is contraception use a sin?

Post #81

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Tcg]

I posted Scriptural proof against contraception because that was what was requested. One could also make natural law arguments regarding contraception. A good analogy would be . . .

wanting the pleasure of eating food, but then vomiting up the food because one does not want the consequences of the natural end of eating food (calories) would be considered disordered (wrong).

Tcg
Savant

Post #82

Post by Tcg »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to Tcg]

I posted Scriptural proof against contraception...
I'm not sure why you are addressing this "defense" to me. I replied to the OP, not anything you posted.

Given that you did however, I'll point out the fact that scripture doesn't provide proof. You simply repeated unsupported assertions made by others. None of the scriptures you posted were even related to contraception. So no, you haven't proven anything, other than perhaps your dedication to the Roman Catholic church and your willingness to accept absolutely anything it teaches without question.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #83

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Tcg]

scripture doesn't provide proof.
I disagree. One can read Scripture and certainly come to conclusions about what is said – just like in any written material.
You simply repeated unsupported assertions made by others.
I posted the logical conclusions that can be derived from reading Scripture as a whole.
None of the scriptures you posted were even related to contraception.
Again, I completely disagree. Also, my interpretation is what ALL of Christendom understood. Every single Christian religion believed and taught the evils of contraception. It wasn’t until after 1930 when many denominations began to change their teachings. So, yeah I think one could argue the first Christians interpreted Scripture as being opposed to contraception.
you haven't proven anything, other than perhaps your dedication to the Roman Catholic church and your willingness to accept absolutely anything it teaches without question.
Like I showed, my dedication comes from Jesus Christ and the Church He established – as it should. I also will point out the irony in this statement of yours . . .
[quoteThere is absolutely nothing wrong with the use of contraception. The concept of "sin" is as antiquated as the idea that there is something wrong with the use of contraception. [/quote]
Is that a fact? Or are you just repeating the assertion of others?
There is no rational reason to turn to the Bible to determine what is right or wrong.
I do not turn to the Bible to know right from wrong. This is something all men can know regardless of religion. Contraception is not wrong because the Church says it is wrong, rather the Church says it is wrong because it is a violation of the natural laws in the world we live that all men are subject to.