Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

The debate on voluntary euthanasia...

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

... seems to hinge on this question:

Is a life filled with unbearable suffering better than no life at all?

If it is, then we may need to use the law to limit the freedom of individuals (and with the assistance of their doctors, if necessary) to end their lives as they see fit.

If it isn't, then there is no place for the law in this dreadful decision, beyond safeguarding the vulnerable.

So, what does the forum advise?

Best wishes, 2RM.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Re: The debate on voluntary euthanasia...

Post #41

Post by imhereforyou »

[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

This (taking of one's own life) is a individual decision. No one can (or should) answer it for another. As such, no one answer will suffice for everyone.

I've always found it interesting, in a disturbing way, where some people think they can live another person's life. We are each responsible for our own decisions: when I decide to cut my lawn and it's against my HOA, my neighbor doesn't answer to the HOA for my mowing. While there may be circumstances when one person is responsible for the action of another (selling a gun to someone with known mental issues that's said they'd use the gun for a crime for example), overall, we each answer for ourselves.

To say that I can tell you "You're fine - just accept Jesus and get over your problems" or the like is just as silly as me telling someone with an incurable disease they must live their life in misery and pain.

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Re: The debate on voluntary euthanasia...

Post #42

Post by DPMartin »

2ndRateMind wrote: ... seems to hinge on this question:

Is a life filled with unbearable suffering better than no life at all?

If it is, then we may need to use the law to limit the freedom of individuals (and with the assistance of their doctors, if necessary) to end their lives as they see fit.

If it isn't, then there is no place for the law in this dreadful decision, beyond safeguarding the vulnerable.

So, what does the forum advise?

Best wishes, 2RM.

if some one wants to off themselves for said reasons that's their business no law could be feared in the decision to do so anyway. but it should be appropriate that no one else be involved, ether to physically assist or prevent, even if the person can't do it himself.

no one else should have to deal with that act because of the law. the living have to deal with the law, the dead don't.