Should all parents of the World have a duty to own gun?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Should all parents of the World have a duty to own gun?

Post #1

Post by Aetixintro »

Ethics: should all parents of the World have a duty to own at least one pistol or revolver?

I think we agree that the World is a dangerous place and that children (also by poverty of language) are exposed to hideous criminals continuously! What say you?

("Also to gun lobbyists and NRA!")
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Tcg
Savant

Re: Should all parents of the World have a duty to own gun?

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Divine Insight wrote:
So then how do we decide which parents should have guns?
I agree that this would result in many extremely difficult decisions. Of course, if we decide that guns are the solution to the problems far too many children face, we would also need to discuss how we decide which children should have guns to protect themselves from their parents and/or other family members who are guilty of abusing them.

I can't help but think that arming the majority of human beings would create many more problems than it would ever solve.
Last edited by Tcg on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Theres no greater tool of equality than a gun.
It seems to me that there is no greater tool of inequality than a gun. The use of a gun against an unarmed but physically more powerful individual does not equalize the situation, but rather shifts the inequality from one individual to another. This may be the preferred result in some situations, but it doesn't create equality.

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg]

Yes it must be a great surprise to a rapist when the intended victim points a gun at them.

I'd go further - it seems highly likely to me that we are here because our ancestors defended themselves.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Yes it must be a great surprise to a rapist when the intended victim points a gun at them.
And a horrifying experience when a rapist points a gun at their intended victim.
I'd go further - it seems highly likely to me that we are here because our ancestors defended themselves.
My understanding is that the OP is referring to a resolution of current problems. I don't see how what our ancestors did or did not do relates.

Wootah
Savant

Post #15

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 14 by Tcg]

Rape is as ancient as evolution. Being able to defend yourself is a recent invention.

To the extent our ancestors could defend themselves is the reason we are here as opposed to those who are not here. Being able to defend your children is basic parenting.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by DPMartin »

Aetixintro wrote: Ethics: should all parents of the World have a duty to own at least one pistol or revolver?

I think we agree that the World is a dangerous place and that children (also by poverty of language) are exposed to hideous criminals continuously! What say you?

today one can accomplish kindergarten through masters degree online, but then the parents can't hold some one else responsible to baby sit their brats.

there's no sense of community, just victims wanting to blame. any unit in action works together, and watches each others backs. not the case in the so called free world, hence they fail and blame others for their lack of sense.

weapons are a matter of freedom to have, or have not.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #17

Post by imhereforyou »

Aetixintro wrote: Ethics: should all parents of the World have a duty to own at least one pistol or revolver?

Duty to own a gun? Not sure exactly what that means...required to own a gun maybe?

There have been weapons for a long time - likely as long as there's been people. And in a relatively recent amount of time it's become a big problem. So guns aren't the problem nor the answer - education and accountability are more of an answer than 'own and shoot a gun'.
One of the problems with society these days is we look for bandages for problems and hope they go away instead of looking honestly and deeply at the problem and coming up with a solution.
We've become way too lazy and intellectually moot.

So NO, it shouldn't be a duty/responsibility.requirement/etc to have a gun, though in some places, unfortunately, it might not be a totally bad idea.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Aetixintro »

imhereforyou wrote:Duty to own a gun? Not sure exactly what that means...required to own a gun maybe?

There have been weapons for a long time - likely as long as there's been people. And in a relatively recent amount of time it's become a big problem. So guns aren't the problem nor the answer - education and accountability are more of an answer than 'own and shoot a gun'.
One of the problems with society these days is we look for bandages for problems and hope they go away instead of looking honestly and deeply at the problem and coming up with a solution.

So NO, it shouldn't be a duty/responsibility.requirement/etc to have a gun, though in some places, unfortunately, it might not be a totally bad idea.
I agree that a gun (minimally the revolver) does not solve "everything", but I urge you to imagine a gun, perhaps the revolver, with every home as well as pepper spray as non-lethal defence and widespread use of lie-detection array, 5 methods combined+++ and radio-based "airport" scanner portals that can scan people for lots of useful reasons.

So, if not "a duty to own a gun" then what do you suggest? Europe is in a pile (see "hard" heroin drugs), I assure you, also on top of defenceless Jews before Kristallnacht and Holocaust.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #19

Post by imhereforyou »

Aetixintro wrote:
imhereforyou wrote:Duty to own a gun? Not sure exactly what that means...required to own a gun maybe?

I agree that a gun (minimally the revolver) does not solve "everything", but I urge you to imagine a gun, perhaps the revolver, with every home as well as pepper spray as non-lethal defence and widespread use of lie-detection array, 5 methods combined+++ and radio-based "airport" scanner portals that can scan people for lots of useful reasons.

So, if not "a duty to own a gun" then what do you suggest? Europe is in a pile (see "hard" heroin drugs), I assure you, also on top of defenceless Jews before Kristallnacht and Holocaust.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
The problem is deeper than can be solved simply with 'a gun in every hand' (my words) but definitely not a 'duty' to own a gun.
It's good to be prepared and able to defend yourself from another. But the fact that we're talking about defending yourself from another, with a gun, is indicative of a larger issue.
What can be done? I don't know. I don't know if anything can be done. Maybe we, as a society, are too far gone?

Tcg
Savant

Post #20

Post by Tcg »

Aetixintro wrote:
Actually, that's at best 3 methods. Given that I'm not sure that a "lie-detection array" is a real thing, it may only be 2 methods.

I'm not sure either what "radio-based "airport" scanner portals" are, but it sounds like you are describing security checks before parents let other parents enter their house. If that is the case, wouldn't you then be removing guns from parents when arming parents is your proposed solution?

So, if not "a duty to own a gun" then what do you suggest?
Given that you are making the claim that "a duty to own a gun" is the solution to the problem parents face, it is your responsibility to support your claim.

Europe is in a pile (see "hard" heroin drugs), I assure you, also on top of defenceless Jews before Kristallnacht and Holocaust.
So, arming European parents who use heroin is going to solve the hard drug problem in Europe?

Arming parents are going to somehow retroactively solve these historical atrocities? How is that even possible?