Zombie Apocalypse Now!

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Zombie Apocalypse Now!

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Of course, the undead won't be rising any time soon to claim the world. But some people prepare for that. And I think it is not such a bad idea.

If you are prepped up to cope with the invasion of the zombies, you are prepped up to cope with most any, more credible, disaster scenario. And self-reliance is a virtue.

Or is it? Seems to me to be a tad unjust that the wealthy west can indulge in building up stocks of food, fuel, etc, while a considerable portion of the rest of humanity is just focused on making their $2.00 per day cover all their needs for food, clean water, clothing, shelter, sanitation, primary education and healthcare.

So, what are your thoughts on the morality of prepping?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Wootah
Savant

Re: Zombie Apocalypse Now!

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

I don’t do enough cardio.

We should all expect and plan for the worst.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

2ndRateMind wrote: So, what are your thoughts on the morality of prepping?
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Though many like to criticize our economy and system of government, I am just grateful to be in the best place and time in all of human history. Maybe we should be focusing on the original intent of the statue in New York harbor and export liberty to the rest of the world, rather than importing the self righteous indignation inspired by that silly communist poem that was slapped on it's base.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

Divine Insight wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote: So, what are your thoughts on the morality of prepping?
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Is this another anti prepping verse?
Luke 12:13-21 New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Rich Fool
13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.�

14 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?� 15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.�

16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.�’

20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.�
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Divine Insight wrote:
Wootah wrote:
21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.�
Yes, I can't help thinking that prepping would be a whole lot more morally acceptable if everyone in the world had enough for right here, right now, to eat and feed their families. But they don't. And while they don't, private hoards of wealth, food, fuel, ammunition and so on seem to me to be ethically dubious.

Contrary to that thought runs the concept of prudence as a Christian virtue. Surely we should, if we can, store up a little of our wealth, today, to sustain us in case of an unkind fate, tomorrow. Otherwise, we rely on others to maintain us, which, arguably, had we been more sensible, they would not have imposed upon them to do.

Clearly, some sort of happy balance between these alternatives is required. But where should that balance lie?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 6 by 2ndRateMind]

Of course prepping is important. Here is a parable we can pretend relates to your topic.

Matthew 25 New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Ten Virgins
25 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6 “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’

7 “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’

9 “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’

10 “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

11 “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’

12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’

13 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 7 by Wootah]

OK. Let's agree then, that some kind of prepping is both prudent and sensible.

Perhaps we can arrive at a compromise between total self-reliance and complete dependency on a fragile civilisation, based on the number of days we, and our family, could survive for without depending on outside aid.

How many days do you think? Three? Seven? Thirty? Ninety? A whole year?

Once we have hit our own target, then we can, perhaps, start looking after others.

Best wishes, 2RM.

PS For what it's worth, I tend to keep 60 days on full rations, (which obviously can be spread more thinly, if necessary) and 30 days emergency rations (sea biscuits, instant noodles and stuff). Finally, I have 3 days in a bug-out-bergen, in case I need to leave home in a hurry. 2RM

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Wootah]

OK. Let's agree then, that some kind of prepping is both prudent and sensible.

Perhaps we can arrive at a compromise between total self-reliance and complete dependency on a fragile civilisation, based on the number of days we, and our family, could survive for without depending on outside aid.

How many days do you think? Three? Seven? Thirty? Ninety? A whole year?

Once we have hit our own target, then we can, perhaps, start looking after others.

Best wishes, 2RM.

PS For what it's worth, I tend to keep 60 days on full rations, (which obviously can be spread more thinly, if necessary) and 30 days emergency rations (sea biscuits, instant noodles and stuff). Finally, I have 3 days in a bug-out-bergen, in case I need to leave home in a hurry. 2RM
That sounds about right. For the record i have no preparation in place for disaster but i live in Australia and we pretend we cannot be touched by reality. Just like the marsupials who had no predators for a long, long time.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Wootah wrote:
That sounds about right. For the record i have no preparation in place for disaster but i live in Australia and we pretend we cannot be touched by reality. Just like the marsupials who had no predators for a long, long time.
And I sincerely hope all Australians and their marsupial friends never are hit by 'reality' adversely. And indeed, the rest of the world, also. So, my stores are an insurance policy, rather than a survivalist guide to a post-apocalyptic world. But it has been useful already, when I have been short on cash, or ill and disinclined to venture out. And really, according to the best advice to buy what you eat, and eat what you buy, all you are really doing is getting your groceries in, 3 to 6 months in advance.

Best wishes, 2RM.