Morality question 3

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Morality question 3

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

If I murder everyone in my neighbour's house and then take the house and sell it - are the people who buy the house guilty of anything?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

tam
Savant

Re: Morality question 3

Post #2

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

No, not unless they knew about it.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

Wootah wrote: If I murder everyone in my neighbour's house and then take the house and sell it - are the people who buy the house guilty of anything?

They are not guilty but they aren't the owners - at least not where I live. The house still belongs to the original owners. They might be gloomy, rather than guilty. I hope this is just a fictitious example.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote: If I murder everyone in my neighbour's house and then take the house and sell it - are the people who buy the house guilty of anything?
If I learn that the person selling the house to me killed the previous occupants, I would refuse to continue with the purchase and alert the authorities. I wouldn't be guilty of anything, since I was unaware and did not act in conspiracy.

What about you Wootah? If I sell a house to you after killing the occupants, would you continue with the purchase after finding out my heinous deed?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

rikuoamero wrote:
If I learn that the person selling the house to me killed the previous occupants, I would refuse to continue with the purchase and alert the authorities. I wouldn't be guilty of anything, since I was unaware and did not act in conspiracy.

What about you Wootah? If I sell a house to you after killing the occupants, would you continue with the purchase after finding out my heinous deed?
The house is probably a lot cheaper than one that hasn't had murders in it. I would be practical within my budget.

I think, sadly, reality and time moves on and justice is not possible. If we are individually conscientious then we should be aware that it is likely that the house we live in or the land we live on was taken and someone along the line got murdered.

This topic is really about migration btw.

Go watch: this land is mine by nina paley for some black comedy.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:

The house is probably a lot cheaper than one that hasn't had murders in it. I would be practical within my budget.

I think, sadly, reality and time moves on and justice is not possible. If we are individually conscientious then we should be aware that it is likely that the house we live in or the land we live on was taken and someone along the line got murdered.

This topic is really about migration btw.

Go watch: this land is mine by nina paley for some black comedy.
You'd continue with the sale? You wouldn't alert the authorities as to the murders I've committed?

:shock:

Actually no...why am I acting shocked? I posed a moral question to Christians in a different sub-forum that has a couple related statements that no Christian has been able to state for themselves.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

How can anyone buy land that hasn't had blood spilt on it?

It's far more probable that we all do.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote: How can anyone buy land that hasn't had blood spilt on it?

It's far more probable that we all do.
Just to make it clear, the question asked of you was what would YOU do if, in the process of buying a house (a process that takes time, from what I understand, it's not like one can buy a house in the same amount of time it takes to buy a pack of gum in a grocery store, there's all sorts of legal and administrative hurdles to get through), you learn that the person you are buying from murdered the previous occupants.

We're not talking abstract concepts about land in the distant past. We're talking a direct one-to-one sale in the here and now. I am selling a house to you, and you learn that I murdered the previous occupants.
Your response so far seems to be to shrug your shoulders and continue with the sale (and this implies you wouldn't alert the authorities, since if you did alert them, the sale wouldn't be able to be followed through with).

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 8 by rikuoamero]

It was always my intention to steer in this direction.

You contradict yourself by pointing out a house sale takes time and then pointing out that i wouldn't use a legal process. How would i get the deeds?

I am willing to be humble in saying that if i had to i would consider it.

Anyway it is an abstract thought.

Here's another. It it's likely that we all have benefited from the evil of some ancestor.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 9 by Wootah]
You contradict yourself by pointing out a house sale takes time and then pointing out that i wouldn't use a legal process. How would i get the deeds?
Who said anything about you not using a legal process? Did you misunderstand me when I said it was a direct one to one sale? I've never bought a house myself, but from what I understand, even that has some administrative hurdles to get through.
Anyway it is an abstract thought.
True that, but then so much of Christianity itself is abstract thought.
Here's another. It it's likely that we all have benefited from the evil of some ancestor.
True, but this doesn't mean we have to give up everything we own. For pragmatic sake, I limited my case to a direct one to one sale. I own something, killed the previous owners, and am selling to you.
The house I live in, or the land the house is on, probably was taken by force at some point in the past, but this doesn't mean I would consider giving it up.