Is it wrong to forgive?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Is it wrong to forgive?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Often when people do very bad things, someone forgives them and not always the victim. A father in Northern Ireland famously forgave the man who murdered his daughter. We can see the goodness in a victim forgiving an attacker but surely it is wrong for others, not involved in the attack, to forgive.

Is it wrong to forgive when one is not the sufferer?

Icey
Student

Re: Is it wrong to forgive?

Post #41

Post by Icey »

marco wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:29 am Often when people do very bad things, someone forgives them and not always the victim. A father in Northern Ireland famously forgave the man who murdered his daughter. We can see the goodness in a victim forgiving an attacker but surely it is wrong for others, not involved in the attack, to forgive.

I don't think what one person believes matters much (other than to that person). What one sees as wrong another may not. So what I think is irrelevant to the grand scheme of things. But being asked, is it wrong to forgive? I think it depends on what the person 'forgiving' is seeking. Are they seeking closure? Contentment? If forgiving the only way to get these? These reasons are selfish. But is selfishness a bad thing?
I suppose it's up to the individual to ultimately decide.
What always perplexed me is when a Christian says "I have to forgive them so God can forgive me!" (I saw someone say that this weekend actually). This makes no sense at all, when you look at how Christianity is taught today (God forgives if you honestly ask for it) so it appears the whole concept of 'forgiveness' isn't fully understood and/or practiced the same for everyone

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #42

Post by thomasdixon »

What does the Bible say about forgiveness-?
The term forgive or forgiveness is noted in the Bible far too many times to list here but here are a few----
BTW the term “stranger” is referenced 128 times. You should check this out too

Forgiveness
Ephesians 4:32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Mark 11:25 And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Matthew 6:15But if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Matthew 18:21-22 Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.
Matthew 6:14-15 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Luke 6:37 “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;
Colossians 3:13 Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
Matthew 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,
Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,
Luke 17:3-4 Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”
Psalm 32:5 I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah
Luke 23:34 And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” And they cast lots to divide his garments.
Daniel 9:9To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, for we have rebelled against him
Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
1 John 1:9-10 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Ephesians 4:31-32 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Luke 7:44-50 Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.” And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” ...

The above are just a few references to "forgive", there are far more that are not included in the above
8-)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by Purple Knight »

marco wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:29 am Often when people do very bad things, someone forgives them and not always the victim. A father in Northern Ireland famously forgave the man who murdered his daughter. We can see the goodness in a victim forgiving an attacker but surely it is wrong for others, not involved in the attack, to forgive.

Nope. It's right to forgive. If someone cuts off my arms and legs, and you forgive him, but I'm angry, you've absolutely got the moral high ground.

Whether you would forgive him if it was your arms and legs isn't even relevant.

Note that I don't make the rules. If I did, I wouldn't make them this way.