Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

ProphetTom
Banned
Banned

What is sin?

Post #1

Post by ProphetTom »

Is it sin when a man goes out doing kind things?

If that same man spoke kind words that lead to sin has he sinned?

If he was innocent of knowing the sin he lead you to and so were you was it still a sin that he lead you to it?

Most of us believe that a child that has done a great sin like murder playing with Dad gun should be forgiven?
For innocence knows not the sin they have done. So you make a lesson and amends and move on?

The sin was real but was the child to be considered sinless? Or just forgiven?

If that sin passed down from generation to generation. Was it those who know and never taught you better that are to blame?

Is the father that taught you wrong first a sinful one?

Or was he the wise one that knew to teach sin first by example?

Is that abuse sin?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: TOO WORDY

Post #11

Post by ttruscott »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: WHAT IS SIN?

1Jn 3:4  Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 

According to the bible, if one is so inclined,

Soj
Judgement is only for sin:
Matt 5:21 You have heard that it was said to the ancients, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.

Matthew 5:21 the discussion has been on the commandment: "You shall not murder", it now moves to the commandment: "You shall not commit adultery".

In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads:

27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of
old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh
on a woman to lust after her hath committed
adultery with her already in his heart

So it seems like the law does not cover all sin. The purpose of the law is to convict sinners of sin by their failures to keep the law, so they are ashamed and repent. Therefore there is no need to cover every manner a person may sin with a law but only enough to make sure all sinners are covered.

With this in mind, I suggest that everything that is not in accord with the nature of GOD is a sinful evil.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Love is never wrong, because God is love*, and He is perfect. Only lovelessness can be imperfect and ungodly. So I conclude that sin is lovelessness, and lovelessness, sin.

Best wishes, 2RM.

*1 John 4:8 KJV and 1 John 4:16 KJV
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

wiploc
Guru

Post #13

Post by wiploc »

This is the way I learned it in a Western Civilization class:

Sin consists of doubting or disobeying Jehovah. So the first sin was not when Eve tasted the apple; it was before that, when she entertained the argument of the serpent, when she doubted that god had her best interest in mind when he forbade the eating of the apple.

Evil is different. Evil is the punishment for sin. Evil is the sources of unhappiness, anything that causes suffering. By extension, we often use the word to refer to unhappiness itself. Thus, the problem of evil is often called the problem of suffering.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to post 11 by ttruscott]
Judgement is only for sin:
Matt 5:21 You have heard that it was said to the ancients, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.

Matthew 5:21 the discussion has been on the commandment: "You shall not murder", it now moves to the commandment: "You shall not commit adultery".

In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads:

27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of
old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh
on a woman to lust after her hath committed
adultery with her already in his heart

So it seems like the law does not cover all sin. The purpose of the law is to convict sinners of sin by their failures to keep the law, so they are ashamed and repent. Therefore there is no need to cover every manner a person may sin with a law but only enough to make sure all sinners are covered.
I'm not inclined to step on one's beliefs, as they are personal and you are, of course entitled to believe as you wish. However, I can't agree with your summation. You know David said in the Psalms,

Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.
Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously.
I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.
I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart. Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 
(Psalm 119:27,29,30,32, 104)

David understood there was more to lying than just not telling the truth. He grasped a depth beyond the letter of the Law. The Way of the Commandments are, in fact, what Christ was giving in the "sermon on the mount." Because the point of the law was not a list of dos and don'ts. It was a way of life... a way to live. God wanted Israel to be his shining example of how the world should live. So He gave them His Law, Judgments, Statutes and Precepts. A precept is a guideline... and through the precepts, you receive understanding. You learn that you apply the 2 great laws, which are a summation of the first 4 and last 6 Commandments, whereby you Love God and You love mankind.

You can't show love of your neighbor by ogling his wife. You can't show love to your neighbor by hating him. It magnifies or expands the law. Its the same law. Its just given greater depth.

According to the Bible, if one is so inclined...

Soj

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by ttruscott »

Sojournerofthearth wrote: You know David said in the Psalms,
All that David wrote must fit within the stated purpose of the law:

Romans 3:20 Therefore no one will be justified in His sight by works of the Law. For the Law merely brings awareness of / convicts sin.

Romans 7:7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law.

Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Sojournerofthearth
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by Sojournerofthearth »

[Replying to ttruscott]

My apologies, Truscot. I'm not grasping your point.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by JJ50 »

The word 'sin' in the eyes of some people refers to things, which no reasonable person would think wrong, like homosexuality, for instance.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by amortalman »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Love is never wrong, because God is love*, and He is perfect. Only lovelessness can be imperfect and ungodly. So I conclude that sin is lovelessness, and lovelessness, sin.

*1 John 4:8 KJV and 1 John 4:16 KJV
We know from the Bible that God is NOT love. 1 Cor. 13:5 says: (Love) does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. (emphasis mine)

The god of the Bible does indeed keep a record of "wrongs" and is more than happy to inflict severe suffering on all who don't agree with him.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 18 by amortalman]

Not at all sure that's entirely true. I certainly don't believe God keeps 7 billion ledgers, one for each individual on earth, recording our deeds and misdeeds, and at the end of time, will tot them all up like some bean-keeper accountant, and thereby arrive at a final decision as to whether we deserve eternal bliss or damnation. That's just a story we tell to children, to keep them on the right track until they are old enough to understand better.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by amortalman »

2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 18 by amortalman]
Not at all sure that's entirely true. I certainly don't believe God keeps 7 billion ledgers, one for each individual on earth, recording our deeds and misdeeds, and at the end of time, will tot them all up like some bean-keeper accountant, and thereby arrive at a final decision as to whether we deserve eternal bliss or damnation. That's just a story we tell to children, to keep them on the right track until they are old enough to understand better.

Best wishes, 2RM.
If it were true there would be a lot more than 7 billion counting all those who have lived and died throughout history. If every individual does not have a "ledger" as you say then who does have a ledger and who does not? Would it be fair of God to judge some and not others? After all, the Bible does say "And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment," (Heb. 9:27). Perhaps only women escape judgment.
O:)