If we can’t report on suicide because it creates more suic

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

If we can’t report on suicide because it creates more suic

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

If we can’t report on suicide because it creates more suicide why can we talk about other issues?

From http://time.com/5351106/media-suicide-coverage/

"It’s no secret to mental health experts that exposure to suicide, either directly or through media and entertainment, may make people more likely to resort to suicidal behaviors themselves. The phenomenon even has a name: suicide contagion."

So would it be fair to assume that other behaviours that get reported on or socially accepted will become more prevalent?

To be clear: Do you think rates of homosexuality or transgender or even heterosexuality increase through normalisation through the media that wouldn't happen if they weren't discussed?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: If we can’t report on suicide because it creates more

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: To be clear: Do you think rates of homosexuality or transgender or even heterosexuality increase through normalisation through the media that wouldn't happen if they weren't discussed?
From what I have come to understand homosexuality and transgender are not choices. It's difficult for me to understand how normalizing these things would cause anyone to change their basic nature. I've been aware of these issues my entire life but it hasn't affected who I am.

It seem to me the same thing is true for suicide. People who might have been influenced by other people having committed suicide were most likely already suicidal to begin with. I think it might be the same way with sexuality and gender identity. People who "come out" as having always felt a certain way most likely have always felt that way innately.

Also you mentioned normalization. But who has ever normalized suicide? I actually know some people who would volunteer for euthanasia if it was socially respectable and could be done with honor.

In fact, vilifying people who are so fed-up, depressed, or hopeless that they no longer want to live does no one any good anyway.

Trying to vilify a behavior in the hopes of keeping people from behaving in that way is never a good tactic IMHO. A far better approach is to try to discover why they no longer wish to live and address that problem directly.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

Wootah wrote: To be clear: Do you think rates of homosexuality or transgender or even heterosexuality increase through normalisation through the media that wouldn't happen if they weren't discussed?
That was certainly the fear of the older generation...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Tcg
Savant

Re: If we can’t report on suicide

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

The article referenced doesn't suggest suicides shouldn't be reported. It details the results of such reports and suggests ways to lessen the suicide contagion caused by these reports.

You then ask this question:
  • "So would it be fair to assume that other behaviours that get reported on or socially accepted will become more prevalent?"
And then add this to clarify your question:
  • "Do you think rates of homosexuality or transgender or even heterosexuality increase through normalisation through the media that wouldn't happen if they weren't discussed?"

Your original question asks about behaviors, but then your clarification discusses orientation. Suicide is an action, sexuality is an orientation. Your question can't be answered until you resolve this flaw.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 4 by Tcg]

I'm not sure orientation vs action is a meaningful difference. Aren't our actions outworkings of our orientation?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

What is a choice for you?

To be honest I think when we say something isn't a choice we are dealing with a religious position. What I mean is that we are dealing with a presupposition.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 4 by Tcg]

I'm not sure orientation vs action is a meaningful difference. Aren't our actions outworkings of our orientation?

Whether they are or not, orientation is not an action. One can be a heterosexual and never experience sex.

Those who commit suicide have performed an action.
  • Heterosexuality is not an action.

Homosexuality is not an action.

Transgender is not an action.
Suicide is an action.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg]

None of that contradicts what I said.

How do I know my sexuality without looking at my actions?

Overcomer
Guru

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

As a journalism student, I was told never to report on a suicide unless it was of a celebrity or a public individual. The reason is because of something called the Werther Effect. In the 19th century, German author, Goethe, published a novel about a young man named Werther who committed suicide. Upon its publication, suicides increased all around the country.

Studies have shown that, when a suicide is reported in the news, a rash of suicides will follow. Psychologists say that people who are on the verge of suicide will see someone else's suicide as an act that legitimizes their taking of their own lives. And it isn't just a matter of an increase in obvious suicides (gunshot, overdose, hanging, etc.). Car and airplane crashes will increase as well, suggesting that people will either consciously or subconsciously take the plunge. When someone reads about someone else committing suicide, it "normalizes" it in a perverse way.

It is obvious that the LGBTQ movement wants to normalize their lifestyles and behaviours. They recognize that they need to make them seem normal by putting them out there, everywhere, for everybody to see. That's why television commercials for everything from home insurance to internet providers to tourism include lesbian or gay couples in them (at least here in Canada where I live). That's why a children's show such as Arthur presents one of its cartoon characters as gay. The LGBTQ want to indoctrinate children at an early age, when they are still too young to make value judgments of any kind, and will accept just about anything they see on television as normal, right and good. They simply don't know any better.

The media has played, continues to play and will always play a key role in people's acceptance of sexual proclivities, those who claim to be transgenders, etc. Will it make more people follow those lifestyles? It might make people experiment more sexually and it might make those who want to abandon homosexuality be less inclined to do so. However, there is a fellow in the town where I live, an ex-gay, who says that 50 per cent of homosexuals leave the lifestyle when it no longer suits their purposes. Some sicken of it. Others realize it's a deadly lifestyle and get out of it before it kills them. Some come to understand that it's rooted in sexual abuse from their childhood (up to 85 per cent of gay men report sexual abuse as children) and are healed from that damage.

As for transgenders, the damage done to children who decide when they're five that they want to be someone of the opposite sex is already showing itself. Medical professionals are upset by the pushing of hormone treatment and surgery on children and adolescents who are too young to know who or what they are. In the name of tolerance, a lot of people are being harmed and will continue to be harmed. That's the sad thing about it all.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

Overcomer wrote: As a journalism student, I was told never to report on a suicide unless it was of a celebrity or a public individual. The reason is because of something called the Werther Effect. In the 19th century, German author, Goethe, published a novel about a young man named Werther who committed suicide. Upon its publication, suicides increased all around the country.

Studies have shown that, when a suicide is reported in the news, a rash of suicides will follow.
To me this is just a matter of the people who desperately want to, but don't see it as an option for whatever reason. It's as if, when nobody thinks anyone is doing it, they don't truly believe they can.