How would your child feel if they were replaced on their loc

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

How would your child feel if they were replaced on their loc

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

How would your child feel if they were replaced on their local soccer team by another child brought into the team because they are better at soccer?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Welcome to the real world. Competition is the name of the game especially in competitive sports.

We even compete for a mate. How does it feel when someone you are interested in ditches you for someone they would rather be with?

Competition, rejection, and not making the grade is the norm here on earth.

The only way to avoid these types of things is to go off and live in some imaginary magical land where noone's feelings are ever hurt. If you can find such a place. Religious people obviously imagine that such places actually exist.

Of course, in a perfect magical land you child would not only remain on the soccer team but you child would be the best soccer player on the team, and the team would always win every game.

And that would need to be true for ever child on every team. So we end up with a magical paradox. Everyone needs to be the best and needs to always win. How is that going to work if there cannot be any losers?

The real world isn't perfect. That's why humans have invented ideas like Heaven. A place where everything is supposedly perfect.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tcg
Savant

Re: How would your child feel if they were replaced on their

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: How would your child feel if they were replaced on their local soccer team by another child brought into the team because they are better at soccer?

That depends on whether they do or don't enjoy playing soccer. If they don't enjoy the game, they'd be thrilled.

If they enjoy the game, the off season would give them a chance to practice. If they still aren't good after some serious practice, it'd help them realize they need to find something they both enjoy and are skilled at. If they find they are skilled at the game, they should have no trouble finding a team the following season.

This is how children find out what their natural abilities and inclinations are. It's a winning situation whether they abandon the game, or redouble their effort at playing it well.

Most of us are truly skilled at only a few things. Anything that helps a person find out what these things are is a plus.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

jgh7

Post #4

Post by jgh7 »

They'd feel pretty bad I'd assume. If they genuinely love the sport though, they could find others to play with no matter how good or bad they are. It just becomes a more casual setting if their skills are less competitive. Nothing wrong with that. I'm absolutely horrible at soccer (and most sports), and I found some clubs to play soccer and basketball with in college (and I did horrible on those teams too :P

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

jgh7 wrote: They'd feel pretty bad I'd assume. If they genuinely love the sport though, they could find others to play with no matter how good or bad they are. It just becomes a more casual setting if their skills are less competitive. Nothing wrong with that. I'm absolutely horrible at soccer (and most sports), and I found some clubs to play soccer and basketball with in college (and I did horrible on those teams too :P
What if the parent or grandparents started the team for their children to play in?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JJ50 »

My grandson (15) is a talented soccer player, however I regard that sport and all others as mindless activities, and think there are much more important things worth doing. If he was replaced it wouldn't worry me in the slightest degree.

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by kcplusdc@yahoo.com »

It depends on what type of leauge you are in.
If its a competitive traveling team, then no big deal, expect to be benched if you are playing poorly.
But if its a youth, fun of the game, get a bit of excercise, type of leauge then no. everyone gets a go.

Now, to me whats wrong is that I got to sit there and pretend that I care about a group of uncoordinated spazes who probably wont score any goals, and have to be reminded constantly that they are going the wrong way. I Love my son but damn I hate watching him play.
Basket ball is even worse, nothing sucks more than four periods of tiny midgets trying with all the got to heft a ball into the basket. Double dribbling like a nursing home, passing like a blind driver going the wrong way on the interstate. Its brutal.
Go team! Love you Brently! Nice try.

The Barbarian
Sage

Re: How would your child feel if they were replaced on their loc

Post #8

Post by The Barbarian »

There are plenty of recreational teams which are filled by random draw of kids registering. There are other teams that are competitive and require try-outs. The important thing is, (and I was president of our local soccer association for several years) is that you produce far more quality players by introducing kids in recreational leagues than is possible if you have only try-out teams. Ideally, kids would be just going to a park and doing their own games, but with things as they are today, parents are generally unwilling to let that happen. I've seen many, many fine players develop out of rec leagues and go on to bigger things.

Meantime, many more kids learn sportsmanship and teamwork, along with improved fitness. All my kids started that way. All but one eventually chose to play for competitive teams, two of them played for college teams, and one of them presently administers and coaches a competitive youth club. Not long ago, she told me the best thing I did for her was to let her make her own decisions about recreational/competitive teams.

It all starts with learning the fun of the game. There's plenty of time to get serious, if they decide to do that. Loving the game has to come first.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Purple Knight »

Wootah wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:40 am How would your child feel if they were replaced on their local soccer team by another child brought into the team because they are better at soccer?
If I'm a capitalist, then I feel great about it. The team got better and that benefits everyone. Even my child gets to watch a higher level of game and better athleticism. That's what matters. The people allowed to do any given thing should be only the best.

If, on the other hand, people have worth simply because they are people, and their happiness has value, then not so great. Everyone can be allowed to play who wants to, because there are other bad players for my child to play against. If no one watches, so what?

How you organise the world and determine what the rules are (everyone thinks there should be some) and by extension which things are "bad" - which things break the rules - is a matter of what you want out of the world. If you want most people to be depressed and miserable but have the absolute most appealing design on the bag of crisps they're fattening themselves on out of depression, by all means pick the former. If human happiness matters more than always having the objectively best of everything, then let everyone play, even if they're not the best.

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #9]

What if there was only one spot in the school left and your child lost the spot to a kid from out of town?