Are you a vegan? If not, why not?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

If you are not a vegan, please state why you are not a vegan. Thank you.

1. I love the taste of meat, dairy, honey, etc.
43%
2. I love to use leather, silk, wool, etc.
14%
3. I am too lazy.
No votes
4. I don't care about the suffering and death of the sentient organisms whose products e.g. meat, milk, honey, silk, wool, leather, etc. I consume.
No votes
5. I don't care about the environment as veganism is better for the environment.
No votes
6. I don't care about my long-term health as veganism is better for my long-term health.
No votes
7. I don't want to save money on food as vegan food is cheaper.
No votes
8. I am ignorant and can't be bothered to do the research.
14%
9. I am selfish.
No votes
10. I have poor self-control and give in to temptations.
No votes
11. All of the above.
29%

Total votes: 7

Compassionist
Guru

Are you a vegan? If not, why not?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

I was raised to be an omnivore. I first became a vegan on 1 August 2006 but I was unable to sustain it due to my ignorance. However, I became a vegan again in 2010 and again failed. Then I tried again from 4 January 2018. Apart from rare exceptions when I gave in to eating milk chocolate or dairy ice-cream or egg products, I have been managing to be a vegan. Are you a vegan? If not, why not? I really want to understand your position. Since there are Christians on this forum, please note: "Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." - Genesis 1:29, The Bible (New International Version). Thank you.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #11

Post by Compassionist »

Please see Vegan Choices. Thank you.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #12

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 10 by Compassionist]

Not enough to sway us from our meat eating ways. But we do try to make it as humane as a death could ever be humane. Are you aware of beyond meat/impossible burger? Very much looking forward to meat minus the suffering. This has real potential.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #13

Post by Compassionist »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Compassionist]

Not enough to sway us from our meat eating ways. But we do try to make it as humane as a death could ever be humane. Are you aware of beyond meat/impossible burger? Very much looking forward to meat minus the suffering. This has real potential.
What you do is up to you. Yes, I have heard of the Beyond Meat/Impossible Burger. Even in slaughterhouses which stuns cows before killing them, the cows suffer from being shocked by electric cattle prods. Also, they experience fear. It is estimated that in 5% cases the stunning fails and they are killed while still conscious. I am all too aware that most people put their profit, pleasure and convenience over the suffering and death of others. That's why only 0.1% to 1% of humans are vegans.

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 13 by Compassionist]

Given that you have admitted in this statement that you are not actually a vegan:
  • Apart from rare exceptions when I gave in to eating milk chocolate or dairy ice-cream or egg products, I have been managing to be a vegan.
Which of the eleven options from your poll is your reason for not being a vegan?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Compassionist
Guru

Post #15

Post by Compassionist »

Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 13 by Compassionist]

Given that you have admitted in this statement that you are not actually a vegan:
  • Apart from rare exceptions when I gave in to eating milk chocolate or dairy ice-cream or egg products, I have been managing to be a vegan.
Which of the eleven options from your poll is your reason for not being a vegan?

Tcg
I am actually a vegan. The rare exceptions were having dairy ice-cream once, eating milk chocolate once and having nuggets with egg white in it once from 4 January 2018 to 18 May 2019 (today). The rare exceptions were caused by the first reason i.e. taste of the products.

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

Compassionist wrote:
The rare exceptions were caused by the first reason i.e. taste of the products.

Have you then added your vote to number one?

If not, why not?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Compassionist
Guru

Post #17

Post by Compassionist »

Tcg wrote:
Compassionist wrote:
The rare exceptions were caused by the first reason i.e. taste of the products.

Have you then added your vote to number one?

If not, why not?

Tcg
As I said, the exceptions were rare. I am still a vegan. The question is for those who are not vegans.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Compassionist wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:
Compassionist wrote: Thank you for voting. I am just trying to understand why non-vegans are not vegans.
We are easy to understand, meat is tasty, it doesn't inconvenience us too much to get meat even when all the reasons you outlined is taken into account, therefore we eat meat. That's all there is to it.
Thank you for explaining. What about the suffering and death of the sentient animals e.g. cows, pigs, lambs, chicken, etc.?
I voted 'all the above'.

What about the suffering and death of sentient animals? I don't think anyone can be in favour of gratuitous suffering or poor husbandry. But in the UK, at least, we have pretty strict animal welfare laws. And the chances are that the livestock would never be alive at all were it not for people consuming meat and dairy produce.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

John Human
Scholar

Post #20

Post by John Human »

Compassionist wrote: Yes, vegans kill plants but plants are not sentient.
From personal experience, I have no doubt that plants are indeed sentient and can communicate with humans. Of course, from the perspective of others, any story I tell to back that up is nothing more than anecdotal evidence, which is hard to weigh if you don't know much about the person who is speaking or writing.

For whatever it's worth, I don't eat meat or fish or eggs or dairy products, but I am not inclined to label myself "vegan." I commonly cook lentils and brown rice in a rice cooker, adding sesame seeds for complete protein. Another source of complete protein is "Ezekiel 4:9" bread, named after the biblical verse where the recipe is given.

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]