Are you a vegan? If not, why not?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

If you are not a vegan, please state why you are not a vegan. Thank you.

1. I love the taste of meat, dairy, honey, etc.
43%
2. I love to use leather, silk, wool, etc.
14%
3. I am too lazy.
No votes
4. I don't care about the suffering and death of the sentient organisms whose products e.g. meat, milk, honey, silk, wool, leather, etc. I consume.
No votes
5. I don't care about the environment as veganism is better for the environment.
No votes
6. I don't care about my long-term health as veganism is better for my long-term health.
No votes
7. I don't want to save money on food as vegan food is cheaper.
No votes
8. I am ignorant and can't be bothered to do the research.
14%
9. I am selfish.
No votes
10. I have poor self-control and give in to temptations.
No votes
11. All of the above.
29%

Total votes: 7

Compassionist
Guru

Are you a vegan? If not, why not?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

I was raised to be an omnivore. I first became a vegan on 1 August 2006 but I was unable to sustain it due to my ignorance. However, I became a vegan again in 2010 and again failed. Then I tried again from 4 January 2018. Apart from rare exceptions when I gave in to eating milk chocolate or dairy ice-cream or egg products, I have been managing to be a vegan. Are you a vegan? If not, why not? I really want to understand your position. Since there are Christians on this forum, please note: "Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." - Genesis 1:29, The Bible (New International Version). Thank you.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Are you a vegan? If not, why not?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

According to the NIV Bible, God also said this:
  • Leviticus6:24 The Lord said to Moses, 25 “Say to Aaron and his sons: ‘These are the regulations for the sin offering: The sin offering is to be slaughtered before the Lord in the place the burnt offering is slaughtered; it is most holy. 26 The priest who offers it shall eat it; it is to be eaten in the sanctuary area, in the courtyard of the tent of meeting.

Attempting to support veganism based on the Bible fails. Perhaps if you detailed the reason for your continued attempts to be a vegan you'd have a better chance of generating some discussion.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Compassionist
Guru

Re: Are you a vegan? If not, why not?

Post #3

Post by Compassionist »

Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

According to the NIV Bible, God also said this:
  • Leviticus6:24 The Lord said to Moses, 25 “Say to Aaron and his sons: ‘These are the regulations for the sin offering: The sin offering is to be slaughtered before the Lord in the place the burnt offering is slaughtered; it is most holy. 26 The priest who offers it shall eat it; it is to be eaten in the sanctuary area, in the courtyard of the tent of meeting.

Attempting to support veganism based on the Bible fails. Perhaps if you detailed the reason for your continued attempts to be a vegan you'd have a better chance of generating some discussion.

Tcg
Thank you for your reply. You are right, the Bible is full of contradictions and is not a good basis for anything. I went vegan because it is kinder to the animals, better for the environment and better for my long-term health. It's possible to get all the nutrients humans need from plants except for Vitamin B12 which you can get from supplements and fortified cereals and nutritional yeast.

Here are some videos which explain all the issues:

Dominion
Earthlings
Cowspiracy
What the health
Every argument against veganism
Dairy is Scary

Also an article: Nine reasons for Veganism

Another article: Veganism is the single biggest way to reduce our environmental impact

Compassionist
Guru

Post #4

Post by Compassionist »

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

Voted 1.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #6

Post by Compassionist »

Bust Nak wrote: Voted 1.
Thank you for voting. I am just trying to understand why non-vegans are not vegans. Vegans don't force their values on non-vegans. Non-vegans pay killers to kill animals so they can eat animals. Non-vegans are the ones who impose their values on the animals by causing them suffering and robbing them of life.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Compassionist wrote:

Vegans don't force their values on non-vegans.

In this statement, you are comparing humans to humans. Also note that it is equally true that non-vegans don't force their values on vegans.

Non-vegans pay killers to kill animals so they can eat animals.

It can also be said that vegans pay killers to kill plants so they can eat plants.

Non-vegans are the ones who impose their values on the animals by causing them suffering and robbing them of life.

You are now comparing humans to animals. This does not parallel the comment you started with if that was your intention.

In any case, once again, it can also be said that vegans are the ones who impose their values on the plants by causing them suffering and robbing them of life. It reminds me of a vegan comedian who said, "I'm not a vegan because I love animals... I'm a vegan because I hate plants."

There may good arguments in favor of veganism, but I don't think these are.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #8

Post by Bust Nak »

Compassionist wrote: Thank you for voting. I am just trying to understand why non-vegans are not vegans.
We are easy to understand, meat is tasty, it doesn't inconvenience us too much to get meat even when all the reasons you outlined is taken into account, therefore we eat meat. That's all there is to it.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #9

Post by Compassionist »

Tcg wrote:
Compassionist wrote:

Vegans don't force their values on non-vegans.

In this statement, you are comparing humans to humans. Also note that it is equally true that non-vegans don't force their values on vegans.

Non-vegans pay killers to kill animals so they can eat animals.

It can also be said that vegans pay killers to kill plants so they can eat plants.

Non-vegans are the ones who impose their values on the animals by causing them suffering and robbing them of life.

You are now comparing humans to animals. This does not parallel the comment you started with if that was your intention.

In any case, once again, it can also be said that vegans are the ones who impose their values on the plants by causing them suffering and robbing them of life. It reminds me of a vegan comedian who said, "I'm not a vegan because I love animals... I'm a vegan because I hate plants."

There may good arguments in favor of veganism, but I don't think these are.

Tcg
Thank you for your reply. Humans are sentient animals - just like dogs, cats, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, dolphins, whales, chicken, ducks, octopuses, squids, lobsters, etc. It is wrong to cause sentient biological organisms to suffer. Yes, vegans kill plants but plants are not sentient. They don't suffer the way sentient organisms do. Have you watched the videos and read the articles in my posts?
Last edited by Compassionist on Thu May 16, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #10

Post by Compassionist »

Bust Nak wrote:
Compassionist wrote: Thank you for voting. I am just trying to understand why non-vegans are not vegans.
We are easy to understand, meat is tasty, it doesn't inconvenience us too much to get meat even when all the reasons you outlined is taken into account, therefore we eat meat. That's all there is to it.
Thank you for explaining. What about the suffering and death of the sentient animals e.g. cows, pigs, lambs, chicken, etc.?