Hitler , Stalin and Time

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Trismegistus
Student

Hitler , Stalin and Time

Post #1

Post by Trismegistus »

The mayhem and wickedness of Stalin and Hitler is horrible and needs to remain in the dustbin of history as such .
My question is = Can time prove all actions equal in morality ?

Did Stalin or Hitler kill someone who would have went on or their offspring to do even worse than them ?
Did Stalin or Hitler kill someone who would have went on or their offspring to do something that saved mankind ?

This post is not about supporting evil men or actions , but a question of right or wrong with time as the equaliser.

Trismegistus
Student

Re: Hitler , Stalin and Time

Post #11

Post by Trismegistus »

[Replying to post 10 by Menotu]

It has even less to do with what people think is right or wrong with time ! Murder and Peace will always be perceived as evil and good . The question is about events that eradicate or proliferate a person or persons that could have done world changing good or evil beyond Stalin or Hitler .

koko

Post #12

Post by koko »

Trismegistus wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:14 am

This post is not about supporting evil men or actions , but a question of right or wrong with time as the equaliser.

Time will never prove there is any form of morality in the actions of those evildoers or their supporters which, ironically enough, were Wall Street Republicans:

https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

Trismegistus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:23 pm [Replying to post 10 by Menotu]

It has even less to do with what people think is right or wrong with time ! Murder and Peace will always be perceived as evil and good . The question is about events that eradicate or proliferate a person or persons that could have done world changing good or evil beyond Stalin or Hitler .
Murder and peace will usually be seen as good and bad, true (though it depends on who is asked: the mother who's son was murdered would say it was 'bad' even if his murder was a result of keeping him from murdering someone else, but 'good' by the mother of the one he was trying to harm).
What's seen as good and bad evolves and is dependent on whom is asked, when.
You will never know in this lifetime if what one person did or didn't do caused this or that to happen or not. Because of that, I'd say no, time will not prove all actions equal in morality (not to mention the wide definition of morality itself) as good/bad/moral is subjective.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Purple Knight »

Trismegistus wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:14 am The mayhem and wickedness of Stalin and Hitler is horrible and needs to remain in the dustbin of history as such .

Did Stalin or Hitler kill someone who would have went on or their offspring to do even worse than them ?
Did Stalin or Hitler kill someone who would have went on or their offspring to do something that saved mankind ?

If the answer to this question was yes then there would be no such thing as more or less moral, so I'm going to say no mainly because I don't brake for definitions of concepts that make those concepts useless or completely nondescriptive of anything.

Morality, therefore, if it exists as a useful concept, must be about one does in the immediate and not about what the far-reaching but absolutely unknowable results will be. In other words, if Hitler killed Patient Zero of a plague that would have killed everybody, he'd have to have known about it and done it with that motivation for it to count.

There was a show called Dexter around a while ago about a killer who killed other killers. The fact that if a killer happens to be walking down the street and killed by a madman, that is is different than if he is killed by Dexter as a punishment, is intuitively true, yes?

Kevin King
Student

Post #15

Post by Kevin King »

We live in a time where everyone thinks they own the moral truth and if you have a different moral philosophy then I have, you are a threat to my existence and vice-versa. Therefore you have to be canceled. Because we say the same thing to each other in opposite terms, it becomes a self-contradictory proposition. Additionally, because we're basically wishing death on each other, it is not ethical according to Kant's categorical imperative. Hitter and Stalin did the same thing to the world - nation against nation. Now it spread to the interpersonal level. There is ultimate truth in the Lord Jesus Christ no matter what we may all believe!

Miles
Savant

Post #16

Post by Miles »

Kevin King wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:27 pm We live in a time where everyone thinks they own the moral truth and if you have a different moral philosophy then I have, you are a threat to my existence and vice-versa. Therefore you have to be canceled. Because we say the same thing to each other in opposite terms, it becomes a self-contradictory proposition. Additionally, because we're basically wishing death on each other, it is not ethical according to Kant's categorical imperative. Hitter and Stalin did the same thing to the world - nation against nation. Now it spread to the interpersonal level. There is ultimate truth in the Lord Jesus Christ no matter what we may all believe!
A bit of hyperbole don't you think.

Kevin King
Student

Post #17

Post by Kevin King »

No, why

Miles
Savant

Post #18

Post by Miles »

Kevin King wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:11 pm No, why
Hyperbole
Whaaaa?

We live in a time where everyone thinks they own the moral truth and if you have a different moral philosophy then I have, you are a threat to my existence and vice-versa. Therefore you have to be canceled. Because we say the same thing to each other in opposite terms, it becomes a self-contradictory proposition. Additionally, because we're basically wishing death on each other, it iKant's categorical imperative.s not ethical according to Hitter and Stalin did the same thing to the world - nation against nation. Now it spread to the interpersonal level. There is ultimate truth in the Lord Jesus Christ no matter what we may all believe!

Kevin King
Student

Post #19

Post by Kevin King »

Miles, not sure if I can help if you do not understand.

- In the past few years, it seems people are more and and more uncivil toward each other.

- Look at our government and our electorate down right hating each other just because of the way we have different opinions

- Look at many who tear down our national statues and active efforts to rewrite history

- Look at the the racism debate and efforts to make white children feel bad about their collar of skin

- When you discuss anything in public, be careful, or you may offend somebody, just by using common language, or you said it in the wrong way, not meaning to harm anyone

- Look at the pandemic and the way governments have used it all over the world to consolidate power over their citizens

- I could go on and on with example after example - it is not hyperbole

- Yes, Stalin and Hitler would have been proud of such divisions because it was was part of their ideology, that in part started the downfall of this country and perhaps the world

Tcg
Savant

Post #20

Post by Tcg »

Kevin King wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:29 pm Miles, not sure if I can help if you do not understand.

- In the past few years, it seems people are more and and more uncivil toward each other.

- Look at our government and our electorate down right hating each other just because of the way we have different opinions

- Look at many who tear down our national statues and active efforts to rewrite history

- Look at the the racism debate and efforts to make white children feel bad about their collar of skin

- When you discuss anything in public, be careful, or you may offend somebody, just by using common language, or you said it in the wrong way, not meaning to harm anyone

- Look at the pandemic and the way governments have used it all over the world to consolidate power over their citizens

- I could go on and on with example after example - it is not hyperbole

- Yes, Stalin and Hitler would have been proud of such divisions because it was was part of their ideology, that in part started the downfall of this country and perhaps the world
This doesn't even come close to supporting your claim which included the word "everyone." It doesn't even attempt to support your claim that, "There is ultimate truth in the Lord Jesus Christ no matter what we may all believe!" In fact, it doesn't even attempt to explain what that means.

If you want to provide help, you'll need to provide verifiable evidence that supports your claims. Can you provide something that qualifies? Not rhetoric, verifiable evidence.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom