The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators


Dimmesdale
Sage
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: The Temple of Logic
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Post #2

Post by Dimmesdale »

"To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to him who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away." - Matthew 13:11–12

This has been foretold.

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Post #3

Post by Compassionist »

Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:50 pm "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to him who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away." - Matthew 13:11–12

This has been foretold.
Is that ethical? I think not. Please see: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com Thank you.

Dimmesdale
Sage
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: The Temple of Logic
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Post #4

Post by Dimmesdale »

Compassionist wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:50 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:50 pm "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to him who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away." - Matthew 13:11–12

This has been foretold.
Is that ethical? I think not. Please see: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com Thank you.
What do you mean? I think the concept being expressed doesn't necessarily entail anything ethical. It simply expresses a true reality; namely, that when you are strong, you capitalize on what you have, and so only gain more. While, if you are weak, you have no capital, so when push comes to shove you lose more and more. This needn't say anything ethical, it only expresses this reality of life.

Jordan Peterson goes deeper into this concept by using the example of lobsters. You might want to look it up.

jimtatertayte
Scholar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Post #5

Post by jimtatertayte »

Compassionist wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:17 pm The evil prosper and the innocent perish
All are evil but God.

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3387
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 264 times
Been thanked: 940 times

Re: The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:50 pm "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For to him who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away." - Matthew 13:11–12

This has been foretold.
What in the world does Matthew 13:11–12

11 Jesus answered, “Only you can know the secret truths about God’s kingdom. Those other people cannot know these secret truths. 12 The people who have some understanding will be given more. And they will have even more than they need. But those who do not have much understanding will lose even the little understanding that they have.

have to do with "evil prospering," the ongoing suffering throughout the world?

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3387
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 264 times
Been thanked: 940 times

Re: The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Post #7

Post by Miles »

jimtatertayte wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:49 am
Compassionist wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:17 pm The evil prosper and the innocent perish
All are evil but God.
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Kind of an evil thing to do don't you think? Or do you consider creating evil to be good?


.

jimtatertayte
Scholar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Post #8

Post by jimtatertayte »

Miles wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:24 pm
jimtatertayte wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:49 am
Compassionist wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:17 pm The evil prosper and the innocent perish
All are evil but God.
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Kind of an evil thing to do don't you think? Or do you consider creating evil to be good?


.
It is God that distinguished the difference from the 2 otherwise
no one including you would have ever known the difference between them.
It would have been all the same to every one.

So therefore all God did was separate the light from the darkness.
That is good.

And all things work for the good of them that love God.

So yes I say that it is right that God created both good and evil.
Otherwise there would be nothing neither good or evil.

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3387
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 264 times
Been thanked: 940 times

Re: The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Post #9

Post by Miles »

jimtatertayte wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:24 pm
jimtatertayte wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:49 am
Compassionist wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:17 pm The evil prosper and the innocent perish
All are evil but God.
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Kind of an evil thing to do don't you think? Or do you consider creating evil to be good?


.
It is God that distinguished the difference from the 2 otherwise
no one including you would have ever known the difference between them.
It would have been all the same to every one.
Kind of like beating the living hell out of my kids so they know how much better it is not to have the living hell beat out of them when I stop. Brilliant!

jimtatertayte wrote: So therefore all God did was separate the light from the darkness.
That is good.
You are aware, are you not, that in the very beginning god supposedly didn't have any plans of creating evil. He expected the whole world be a paradise with skipping, singing, and twirling in grassy meadows, with not a hint of sin or evil to spoil the fun.

jimtatertayte wrote: And all things work for the good of them that love God.
"All things" you say. So things like cancer that cuts one's life off when two years old is working for their good. Or starving to death is working for one's good. C'mon jimtatertayte, you can do better than this.

jimtatertayte wrote:So yes I say that it is right that God created both good and evil.
Otherwise there would be nothing neither good or evil.
Ah ha! Fundi logic rising to the top again: It's for the same reason that I beat the living hell out of my kids, so they know how much better it is not to have the living hell beat out of them when I stop. Brilliant!

God forbid that people live their lives without the grief of evil.


.
Last edited by Miles on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimtatertayte
Scholar
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: The evil prosper and the innocent perish

Post #10

Post by jimtatertayte »

Miles wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:25 pm
jimtatertayte wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:24 pm
jimtatertayte wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:49 am
Compassionist wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:17 pm The evil prosper and the innocent perish
All are evil but God.
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Kind of an evil thing to do don't you think? Or do you consider creating evil to be good?


.
It is God that distinguished the difference from the 2 otherwise
no one including you would have ever known the difference between them.
It would have been all the same to every one.
Kind of like beating the living hell out of my kids so they know how much better it is not to have the living hell beat out of them when I stop. Brilliant!

jimtatertayte wrote: So therefore all God did was separate the light from the darkness.
That is good.
You are aware, are you not, that in the very beginning god supposedly didn't have any plans of creating evil. He expected the whole world be a paradise with skipping, singing, and twirling in grassy meadows, with not a hint of sin or evil to spoil the fun.

jimtatertayte wrote: And all things work for the good of them that love God.
"All things" you say. So things like cancer that cuts one's life off when two years old is working for their good. Or starving to death is working for one's good. C'mon
jimtatertayte, you can do better than this.

jimtatertayte wrote:So yes I say that it is right that God created both good and evil.
Otherwise there would be nothing neither good or evil.
Ah ha! Fundi logic rising to the top again: It's for the same reason that I beat the living hell out of my kids, so they know how much better it is not to have the living hell beat out of them when I stop. Brilliant!

God forbid that people live their lives without the grief of evil.


.
You live and or of a world of make believe...I on the other hand is from
a world that rules over your world of make believe. Word it any way that makes you
be able to live with it...that is just the way it is for you.

Post Reply