Challenging the status quo

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

Challenging the status quo

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

There exists places where people are said to be able to debate certain things, much like this site. Some places encourages the challenges of ideas - of the status quo as it were.
Then there are some that limit who can say what and how they come to those ideas. This strikes me as disingenuous, as well as intellectually dishonest.
Yet some continue to frequent such places.

Is it right to do so?
Is it right to challenge authority, be it government, science, family hierarchy, etc. Or is it wrong to do so? Should we sit back an allow those that think they're right run rampant over the rest of us with their (potentially) falsities, or stand up to them?

And why to people continue to challenge these places when it seems to be a loosing battle?

Is it a loosing battle?

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Challenging the status quo

Post #2

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Menotu wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:03 pm There exists places where people are said to be able to debate certain things, much like this site. Some places encourages the challenges of ideas - of the status quo as it were.
Then there are some that limit who can say what and how they come to those ideas. This strikes me as disingenuous, as well as intellectually dishonest.
Yet some continue to frequent such places.
Good topic! I believe there is an increasing number of people who are challenging the status quo. Yet they go to the places that are run by the status quo because there is little to zero places that are devoted to people who challenge the status quo. Take for instance, the electorate of the United States. Most of the electorate are registered independents in some states, yet only the Democrats or Republicans keep getting elected. That's the case, because the independents are not united and haven't set up their own organizations or at least they haven't done enough to unite.
Menotu wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:03 pmIs it right to do so?
Is it right to challenge authority, be it government, science, family hierarchy, etc. Or is it wrong to do so?
In my view, it is always right to challenge the status quo. Not too long ago, the status quo was the Church. I suppose the many groups who would oppose the Church are now the status quo but they're acting the same way the Church used to when they expect everyone to agree with them unquestionably. I certainly won't put up with that and it's one reason why I remain a proud agnostic.

And of course, the problem with not being able to challenge the status quo is that they are not always right. And it's just a matter of time before they make a mistake big enough that will damage or destroy their society. Think of the lack of scientific progress made under Church rule, the countless number of people who were killed because of ignorance and unquestioned authority. Now, we have various secular groups that are trying to gain control.
Menotu wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:03 pmShould we sit back an allow those that think they're right run rampant over the rest of us with their (potentially) falsities, or stand up to them?
Definitely stand up to them, but in a legal and civil way of course. However, being civil and legal does not preclude being strong and assertive.
Menotu wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:03 pmAnd why to people continue to challenge these places when it seems to be a loosing battle?[

Is it a loosing battle?
I don't think it's a losing battle because I see things that can clearly be done to help those who want to challenge the status quo. I suppose we also need leaders to guide the way. The leaders that I've seen for the independent side in the US have seem to be rather weak and passive.

I'm personally very open to starting a group or organization that involves challenging the status quo. I've already put some investment into that.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Challenging the status quo

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Menotu in post #1]

Anything that challenges one's happiness should be challenged I think. It's important to note that challenging isn't an excuse to become violent, however.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!