Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

What is your biggest regret?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

What is your biggest regret?

I long to make the world free from all suffering, unfairness and deaths, but I lack the power to do so. My biggest regret is that I am not all-powerful. If I were all-powerful, I would have gone back in time and prevented all suffering, unfairness and deaths. If I were all-powerful, I would have made all living things equally all-loving, all-knowing and all-powerful and the owner of an infinite number of universes each. If I were all-powerful, all beings would be forever happy. As things stand now, all sentient biological organisms are doomed to suffer and die. No one is going to save us from suffering, unfairness, and deaths. I want to save and improve all lives, but I don't have the power to do so. I am so sad because of all the suffering, unfairness and deaths. I have postponed some deaths and improved some lives but that's not enough. If God is truly real and good, why didn't God prevent all suffering, unfairness and deaths? I think God is either evil and imaginary or evil and real. I can't decide which, so, I am agnostic regarding the existence and nature of God.

Compassionist
Guru

Re: What is your biggest regret?

Post #11

Post by Compassionist »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:15 pm
Compassionist wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:18 amI don't hate anyone - not even murderers, rapists, kidnappers, torturers, robbers, thieves, racists, etc.
Try not hating racists in a way where people can see you do it. Just try it.
I have done it many times. A man screamed at me, "Nigger, fuck off!" I said nothing to him in reply. Another man told me to get off the bus because of the colour of my skin. I said and did nothing. When I was 15 years old, some teenagers beat me up and called me names. I said and did nothing to them.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:15 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:55 pmHate is real. And I'm all for it for the right (individualized preference) reason or reasons.
It's ruining my life that I can't hate when I'm supposed to for the exact, precise reason I'm supposed to, and I have to fake it. Everyone can see through it because it doesn't have the vitriol and disgust it's supposed to have.
I don't fake it - never been convincing enough so I just do me and whatever everyone else thinks or says - that's their issue.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Compassionist
Guru

Post #13

Post by Compassionist »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 am
Purple Knight wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:15 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:55 pmHate is real. And I'm all for it for the right (individualized preference) reason or reasons.
It's ruining my life that I can't hate when I'm supposed to for the exact, precise reason I'm supposed to, and I have to fake it. Everyone can see through it because it doesn't have the vitriol and disgust it's supposed to have.
I don't fake it - never been convincing enough so I just do me and whatever everyone else thinks or says - that's their issue.
That's wise.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #14

Post by RightReason »

Compassionist wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:49 pm What is your biggest regret?
Not being able to live in the moment. I’m often either dwelling on the past or too concerned about the future. Intellectually, I know it is silly, but I catch myself doing this. I regret letting time pass me by and just not being more present.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #15

Post by Compassionist »

RightReason wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:17 pm
Compassionist wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:49 pm What is your biggest regret?
Not being able to live in the moment. I’m often either dwelling on the past or too concerned about the future. Intellectually, I know it is silly, but I catch myself doing this. I regret letting time pass me by and just not being more present.
This is a very common problem. I used to have the same problem. I solved it through mindfulness and meditation and scheduling. I allocate time when I reflect on the past to learn from it. I also allocate time to consider possible permutations of the future. I don't think about the past or the future outside the allocated times. It works for me. You are most welcome to try my method.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #16

Post by The Barbarian »

I can't think of a more horrible fate than to be all-powerful. No human is capable of handling that kind of power without turning evil. One might begin with good intentions, but it wouldn't last.

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority: still more when you superadd the tendency or the certainty of corruption by authority."
Lord Acton

My biggest regret is deeply embarrassing; suffice to say it happened in my teens and involved indifference to the suffering of an animal. Whenever I think of those things I will have to account to God for doing or failing to do, that will be foremost in my mind.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #17

Post by Compassionist »

The Barbarian wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:25 pm I can't think of a more horrible fate than to be all-powerful. No human is capable of handling that kind of power without turning evil. One might begin with good intentions, but it wouldn't last.

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority: still more when you superadd the tendency or the certainty of corruption by authority."
Lord Acton

My biggest regret is deeply embarrassing; suffice to say it happened in my teens and involved indifference to the suffering of an animal. Whenever I think of those things I will have to account to God for doing or failing to do, that will be foremost in my mind.
I am omnibenevolent. I guarantee that if I were to become omniscient and omnipotent, I would go back in time and prevent all suffering, unfairness and deaths and ensure that all beings are forever happy.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #18

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Compassionist in post #16]

Thank you for the advice. But as a Christian, I do not put great stock in New Age theories like Mindfulness.

As a Christian, letting time pass me by usually means I am letting Christ pass me by. It means I am not recognizing that He is present, right here, right now. It means I am having anxiety about the past or worrying about the future which means I am failing to trust God and enjoy the beauty and awesomeness of the ordinary moment that is right in front of me. I regret when I don’t allow myself to be drawn into the presence of God at this very moment. It means I am missing Him even though He is right here and that is foolish.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #19

Post by Compassionist »

RightReason wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:27 pm [Replying to Compassionist in post #16]

Thank you for the advice. But as a Christian, I do not put great stock in New Age theories like Mindfulness.

As a Christian, letting time pass me by usually means I am letting Christ pass me by. It means I am not recognizing that He is present, right here, right now. It means I am having anxiety about the past or worrying about the future which means I am failing to trust God and enjoy the beauty and awesomeness of the ordinary moment that is right in front of me. I regret when I don’t allow myself to be drawn into the presence of God at this very moment. It means I am missing Him even though He is right here and that is foolish.
Mindfulness is not a New Age theory. Hindus and Buddhists have been practising it for thousands of years. It is based entirely on evidence. The brains of mindful people are demonstrably different from those who are not. Functional MRI scans prove that.

I am not here to get anyone to leave their religion. What you believe is up to you and I respect your right to do that. I wish you all the best.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #20

Post by RightReason »

Compassionist wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:22 am Mindfulness is not a New Age theory. Hindus and Buddhists have been practising it for thousands of years.
Yes, exactly. New Age does not mean new.

New Age
/ˈˌn(y)o͞o ˈāj/
noun
1.a broad movement characterized by alternative approaches to traditional Western culture, with an interest in spirituality, mysticism, holism, and environmentalism.

I would consider it repackaged ancient spirituality.

Compassionist: “It is based entirely on evidence. The brains of mindful people are demonstrably different from those who are not. Functional MRI scans prove that."

Other research shows not only may it be ineffective. It may also be harmful . . .

But although mindfulness claims to offer a staggering collection of possible health benefits – and aligns itself with science and academia to be seen as credible – as yet there is remarkably little scientific evidence backing it up.
https://neurosciencenews.com/mindfulness-problem-14196/

Studies on mindfulness are known for their numerous methodological and conceptual problems. This includes small sample sizes, lack of control groups, and insufficient use of valid measures.
https://theconversation.com/the-problem ... be%20added.

Some studies have shown that practicing mindfulness can actually backfire on people as they focus intently on the moment and leave their thoughts behind, including the positive ones. It can also lead people to disconnect rather than focus and engage in critical thinking on problems that require more thinking and not less.
https://www.ncregister.com/features/apo ... indfulness