If God doesn't exist!

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

mms20102
Scholar

If God doesn't exist!

Post #1

Post by mms20102 »

If we assume the non-existence of God, why should there be any morals at all ?.
Since morals in any belief system defines what's right and wrong, and people of any belief system follow the morals according to their books, what if God doesn't exist?. Why should we be moral after his non-existence?

I'm not here to discuss what is right and wrong according to anyone, so please avoid making hypotheses about what morals could mean.
We will agree in this debate that morals are habits acquired through a belief system. After we finish discussing the Question of this debate, we will discuss morals in more detail.

Tcg
Savant

Re: If God doesn't exist!

Post #41

Post by Tcg »

mms20102 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:17 am
Knowing what I said, you should understand that it's not a conclusion but view point to be criticized,
Of course it's a conclusion and your view point relies on it being true. You've skipped the step of showing that it is a valid approach.

you failed to do any constructive argument but started showing how non-religious people could have some sort of morality
Yes. That is the topic of this thread. Morality absent god/gods. I've provided the very thing you claimed to want to discuss.

and that's some thing I didn't deny not being religious doesn't require not being moral.
Great, we've reached a conclusion we both agree on.
But do you think every non-religious person should be moral ?
Yes. I also think that theists should be moral too.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

mms20102
Scholar

Post #42

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #42]
Of course it's a conclusion and your view point relies on it being true. You've skipped the step of showing that it is a valid approach.
I didn't skip it I provided logical reasoning and depended on atheists opinions of the topic to support my opinion
Yes. That is the topic of this thread. Morality absent god/gods. I've provided the very thing you claimed to want to discuss.
Again I need a valid proof supported by evidence for this and up till now I had non.
Yes. I also think that theists should be moral too.
You just answered "Yes" and the reason and also the evidence is missing. For a religious person being moral is obligatory by god, now for non-religious person why morals is obligatory?.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by Purple Knight »

mms20102 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:30 am If we assume the non-existence of God, why should there be any morals at all?
Because the next-most-moral being just makes the rules then.

Look, you've all already accepted that if there is a God, it makes the rules. Its decree makes right and wrong. I don't know why you've all done this but I assume it's because God is the Most Moral Being.

Soooo.... if that particular being (God of the Bible) doesn't exist, the next-most-moral being is the Most Moral Being and it makes the rules, even if it happens to be a human.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #44

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #44]

Pretty much logical and I agree.
But first take into consideration that those rules are like chains and giving the mice utopia experiment as an example you will notice that all the mice died not because of the small space but because of no rules.
And if we skip the first part there are some complications with this human being.
1- Humans are not ultimately wise so their rules are subject to mistakes no matter how wise they become.
2- Humans lack complete knowledge and there knowledge will not be enough to set the best rules.
And you can add all the deficiencies the human beings have to the list.
In other words, human beings will follow their desires other than justice, and we can see that clearly in the laws made by men, they have lots of loopholes.
Between I'm a Muslim not Christian.