Should morality be taught in schools?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Should morality be taught in schools?

Post #1

Post by Miles »

"Polls indicate that about 70 percent of public school parents want schools to teach “strict standards of right and wrong,” and 85 percent want schools to teach values. And research suggests that many overworked, frayed parents, doubting their capacities as moral mentors, are looking to schools to take on a larger role in their children’s moral growth."
source

So . . . . . . . ? And if so, whose morality?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Should morality be taught in schools?

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:08 pm .

"Polls indicate that about 70 percent of public school parents want schools to teach “strict standards of right and wrong,” and 85 percent want schools to teach values. And research suggests that many overworked, frayed parents, doubting their capacities as moral mentors, are looking to schools to take on a larger role in their children’s moral growth."
source

God no!
I don't want someone teaching my kids their morality! I don't know of any good parent that would.

Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:08 pmAnd if so, whose morality?
There's an old expression...

If you can't cook, you'll eat whatever you're served. If you don't like that, learn to cook.

The morality being taught in schools is better than the regressive caveman morality their parents could ever teach them anyway.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Like other issues that need to be explained to children, such as those concerning sex, I don't believe all parents want to or are equipped to teach their children morals. So lacking such parental instruction I believe morals should be taught in schools, and probably in grade school and then again in high school.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]
Whose morality?
What about starting with the Democratic laws and regulations, adding of course, the Human Rights (UDHR)? I don't think they hurt anyone.
That is, they can use the current laws and regulations of the state where the school is located. Good? :)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Aetixintro wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:06 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]
Whose morality?
What about starting with the Democratic laws and regulations, adding of course, the Human Rights (UDHR)? I don't think they hurt anyone.
That is, they can use the current laws and regulations of the state where the school is located. Good? :)
My feeling is that it is not morality that need be taught in schools, but ethics. That way, parents retain the right to inflict their moralities on their children, as do churches. But ethics, as a rigorous part of philosophy, encourage children to think such matters through for themselves, and arrive at their own conclusions.

Best wishes, 2RM
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by amortalman »

source

I have to agree with 2ndRateMind (post 6). While ethics and morality have overlapping principles, ethics stands on its own legs apart from any particular moral religiosity. I think it is badly needed at every level of education, but especially for children and young teens.

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

amortalman wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:07 pm

source

I have to agree with 2ndRateMind (post 6). While ethics and morality have overlapping principles, ethics stands on its own legs apart from any particular moral religiosity. I think it is badly needed at every level of education, but especially for children and young teens.
A little confused here. How does ethics actually differ from morality in that it "stands on its own legs apart from any particular moral religiosity"? And just what is moral religiosity anyway?

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Miles wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:21 pm

source

A little confused here. How does ethics actually differ from morality in that it "stands on its own legs apart from any particular moral religiosity"? And just what is moral religiosity anyway?

I should say (not to steal amortalman's thunder) that ethics is one of life's hard questions, in that we not only have no answers, but also do not even know how to get at those answers. As a result, many cling to religious moralities for the seeming certainty they offer. For me, at any rate, that is a bad idea. It is surely better to admit whereof one is ignorant, than pretend to answers that do not withstand academic scrutiny.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

2ndRateMind wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:41 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:21 pm

source

I should say (not to steal amortalman's thunder) that ethics is one of life's hard questions, in that we not only have no answers, but also do not even know how to get at those answers.
Whaaa? We have and use words that are not only not defined, but cannot be defined? Give me a break.

Okay, ya sent me looking. Here ya are, and form the Encyclopedia Britannica no less.

"What’s the Difference Between Morality and Ethics?

Generally, the terms ethics and morality are used interchangeably, although a few different communities (academic, legal, or religious, for example) will occasionally make a distinction. In fact, Britannica’s article on ethics considers the terms to be the same as moral philosophy. While understanding that most ethicists (that is, philosophers who study ethics) consider the terms interchangeable, let’s go ahead and dive into these distinctions.

Both morality and ethics loosely have to do with distinguishing the difference between “good and bad” or “right and wrong.” Many people think of morality as something that’s personal and normative, whereas ethics is the standards of “good and bad” distinguished by a certain community or social setting. For example, your local community may think adultery is immoral, and you personally may agree with that. However, the distinction can be useful if your local community has no strong feelings about adultery, but you consider adultery immoral on a personal level. By these definitions of the terms, your morality would contradict the ethics of your community. In popular discourse, however, we’ll often use the terms moral and immoral when talking about issues like adultery regardless of whether it’s being discussed in a personal or in a community-based situation. As you can see, the distinction can get a bit tricky."

source