Should morality be taught in schools?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Prodigy

Should morality be taught in schools?

Post #1

Post by Miles »

"Polls indicate that about 70 percent of public school parents want schools to teach “strict standards of right and wrong,” and 85 percent want schools to teach values. And research suggests that many overworked, frayed parents, doubting their capacities as moral mentors, are looking to schools to take on a larger role in their children’s moral growth."
source

So . . . . . . . ? And if so, whose morality?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Should morality be taught in schools?

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:08 pm .

"Polls indicate that about 70 percent of public school parents want schools to teach “strict standards of right and wrong,” and 85 percent want schools to teach values. And research suggests that many overworked, frayed parents, doubting their capacities as moral mentors, are looking to schools to take on a larger role in their children’s moral growth."
source

So . . . . . . . ? And if so, whose morality?

God no!
I don't want someone teaching my kids their morality! I don't know of any good parent that would.

Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Guru

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:08 pmAnd if so, whose morality?
There's an old expression...

If you can't cook, you'll eat whatever you're served. If you don't like that, learn to cook.

The morality being taught in schools is better than the regressive caveman morality their parents could ever teach them anyway.

Miles
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Like other issues that need to be explained to children, such as those concerning sex, I don't believe all parents want to or are equipped to teach their children morals. So lacking such parental instruction I believe morals should be taught in schools, and probably in grade school and then again in high school.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]
Whose morality?
What about starting with the Democratic laws and regulations, adding of course, the Human Rights (UDHR)? I don't think they hurt anyone.
That is, they can use the current laws and regulations of the state where the school is located. Good? :)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!