The Cycle of Abuse

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

The Cycle of Abuse

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

The Cycle of Abuse, as pictured above, is a well known depiction of the different phases experienced by individuals who often feel trapped in an abusive relationship. Should the religious beliefs of an individual who finds themselves in this cycle compel them to stay in such a relationship knowing that this cycle can and does at times escalate to the extent that permanent trauma and even death can be the final result?

Should one who finds themselves in a relationship that includes this Cycle of Abuse consider it God's will that they suffer and perhaps even die at the hands of a serial abuser?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: The Cycle of Abuse

Post #2

Post by Purple Knight »

I don't expect an actual religious person to suggest this, but Henry the Eighth had his way out, and I don't see any reason anyone else can't use it too.

When faced with a genuinely abusive spouse in a relationship that your religion has proclaimed sealed unto you until death, simply kill your spouse... in self-defence... which, arguably, it will be, if you're being abused.

https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/Self-Defense
Everyone has the right to defend his life against the attacks of an unjust aggressor. For this end he may employ whatever force is necessary and even take the life of an unjust assailant.

Now, if this person is actually religious, this is a grievous thing I suggest and I well know so. If someone is genuinely being abused... if even words rise to the level of living in constant Hell (I know they can), then whether this is true or whether the religious person just wants out of the relationship because it's inconvenient is between them and God.

That, or split up. You're still married but nothing says you have to live together (...to my knowledge). You can't have sex with anyone else, but he can't either. If he's driven you off with abuse, this is the empty bed he made himself.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: The Cycle of Abuse

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]
Should the religious beliefs of an individual who finds themselves in this cycle compel them to stay in such a relationship knowing that this cycle can and does at times escalate to the extent that permanent trauma and even death can be the final result?
'Should' is more suggestive and I think that depends on the religion in question. 'Can' the religious beliefs of an individual who finds themselves in this cycle compel them to stay in such a relationship knowing that this cycle can and does at times escalate to the extent that permanent trauma and even death can be the final result? Absolutely
Should one who finds themselves in a relationship that includes this Cycle of Abuse consider it God's will that they suffer and perhaps even die at the hands of a serial abuser?
I don't believe they should, but they certainly can if they wish. If they stay or not is immaterial to me, personally. I have little sympathy for people who legitimately 'can' leave but refuse.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!