Veganism

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Veganism

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

First off, I'm all for those who wish to be vegetarian and live that life; I'm working on that myself. Likewise, I understand those that want to be vegan to a degree.

The past holiday, we were at my sister-in-law's with various family. Two of them were her kids - my niece and nephew. My niece, which was once a vegetarian, is not a pescatarian. My nephew is a relatively new vegan.

If anyone is a vegan, can they please comment on the below scenario and let me know if it's normal or not:

My sister-in-law was placing the turkey on the table next to her son, my nephew. A small piece of turkey fell off the plate and landed on his roll (it must be noted that, most of what my vegan nephew eats is bread, 3-4 veggies, a specific soda and, at times, a mushroom or two). This day, all he ate was bread and water. After the turkey hit his roll, he refused to not only eat the roll, but made someone else take it off his plate (he will be 18 in a few months and seems to be relatively of sound mind). I found that fact that he made such a deal of the cooked meat touching his roll such an issue.
A couple months back, we all went to the zoo and he refused to touch any animal in the petting zoo area, calling it 'gross' (the animal in question was a small goat that was relatively adorable).

As I don't personally know any other vegans, for discussion:

is it normal for a vegan to not only eat a piece of bread that touched cooked food, but insist someone else else removed the 'contaminated' bread from his plate?

I found it quite strange and wonder if he's actually researching the vegan lifestyle as his food intake doesn't seem healthy vegan aside from the 'no animal products' idea.

Thoughts?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Veganism

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #10]
People will be as moral as they can while society flourishes to attain a better position in that society.
Surely that's a reason. But there are people who make moral decisions that have little to no impact on attaining a better position in society. Are these the outlines in this rule?
We might be at peak morality now.
A frightening thought IMO

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:01 amSurely that's a reason. But there are people who make moral decisions that have little to no impact on attaining a better position in society. Are these the outlines in this rule?
I personally wonder whether they're exceptions or whether they're just being biologically driven to selflessly make moral judgments because those who make those judgments the most convincingly honestly have overall been rewarded with better positions in society.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:56 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:01 amSurely that's a reason. But there are people who make moral decisions that have little to no impact on attaining a better position in society. Are these the outlines in this rule?
I personally wonder whether they're exceptions or whether they're just being biologically driven to selflessly make moral judgments because those who make those judgments the most convincingly honestly have overall been rewarded with better positions in society.

Those people do exist, they are exceptions, no matter the reasoning behind it. Surely this may be the reason for some. It's not for all.
To me, living in a world like you describe is more of a 'robot' world where there's 'someone' pushing buttons and making people do this or that. I don't see that as a fully realized position from my experience.
Personally, thinking one makes decisions based on 'what's good for them in society' doesn't hold water across the board.