Bad language

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Bad language

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

I glanced at the National Comedy Awards last night but a few minutes was ample. I couldn't believe the bad language and crudity. One successful actress who has such a sweet face in my view came on stage to give an award. She spoke and expressed the most crude sentence, using the F word. Even hardened fellow comedians and audience were visibly shocked. I switched off, having lost all respect for her.

Why? Do men, let alone women, think swearing is funny? Oh how they downgrade sex into the most soulless, miserable act. The hysterically amused audience seem so well pleased.

It says somewhere in the Bible do not use the same tongue to curse that you were given to worship our Lord God with. I know Christians who swear using the F word. It cannot be ever be right. My biggest distress is hearing Jesus Christ's name used in terrible ways. Yet it goes unchallenged. Even the word 'mother', most precious of words, has been corrupted.

Call me old fashioned but I really do despair.
However, I have lots of good, civilised Christian friends who would never use foul language. I choose to associate with them. I refuse to go along with crude people.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Re: Bad language

Post #11

Post by alexxcJRO »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:45 am The way to live life is by the Bible, the Word of God. Guidance on every aspect is there. We should try, call in prayer for strength to do it.

If you curse privately or not even at anyone, just reflect on how it makes you feel about yourself. It is destructive.
By the contrary its liberating.
It can be a way to emotionally release stuff.

I am an agnostic atheist so no Word of God for me.
The Bible surely is no moral guide if we look at the Old Testament rules and guidance.
Last edited by alexxcJRO on Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Rose2020 »

Hi Alex
If you read Psalms and Proverbs, surely you will see the Bible is the very best moral guide.
As you read the Old Testament, it is clear so many characters are flawed and sinful, yet watch how their stories unfold and how much God teaches us through them.

Look how Moses was a murderer, yet was used by God for great purposes. Look at King David's appalling sins and how repentance changed him, the Psalms are largely from him.

One thing that comes out is that if people like these had forgiveness, then there is hope for the very worst criminal in his cell to repent, be forgiven and have eternal life. It is the Holy Spirit who helps us understand the scriptures as they are meant.

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:07 am
As you read the Old Testament, it is clear so many characters are flawed and sinful, yet watch how their stories unfold and how much God teaches us through them.
I would have loved to see how David and Batsheba's son's story would have unfolded, but we can't. God killed him to punish his father. So much for the O.T. being a great moral guide. Of course, I have no idea what this has to do with profanity and your as yet unsupported claim that it is harmful.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by wannabe »

alexxcJRO wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:48 am
OliviaSmith1971 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:56 am Bad language in general is bad, as the name says. If it serves no purpose, then it's better to stray away from it. I can understand if someone uses it to relieve stress or get something out of their mind and feel better after it. We are all humans and this behavior can be beneficial. If it's bad language to just be swearing, then it's simply not nice.
Let’s say I swear alone not directing it at anyone.
I swear for 1 hour straight.
Q: How is that bad: morally objectionable/evil?
Swearing definition : The use of offensive language.
(The word "offensive" lables the next word, "language".)

So how can inflicting in a compounding way, towards your internal being, be beneficial or even neutral.
surely ones portfolio as an eternal being should mean something even if eternity where not real.

Just the mere act adds at least 1 point to ones own person.
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #15

Post by alexxcJRO »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:07 am Hi Alex
If you read Psalms and Proverbs, surely you will see the Bible is the very best moral guide.
Cheery picking things that support ones beliefs and ignoring the serious problems that show the contrary is not very logical and honest.

1.Kill Witches
"You should not let a sorceress live."(Exodus 22:17)

2. Kill Homosexuals
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13)

3. Kill Fortunetellers
"A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death." (Leviticus 20:27)

4. Death for Adultery
"If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death." (Leviticus 20:10)

5. Death for Fornication
"A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death." (Leviticus 21:9)

6. Kill Anyone who Approaches the Tabernacle
"For the LORD had said to Moses, ‘Exempt the tribe of Levi from the census; do not include them when you count the rest of the Israelites. You must put the Levites in charge of the Tabernacle of the Covenant, along with its furnishings and equipment. They must carry the Tabernacle and its equipment as you travel, and they must care for it and camp around it. Whenever the Tabernacle is moved, the Levites will take it down and set it up again. Anyone else who goes too near the Tabernacle will be executed."(Numbers 1:48-51)

7. Kill People for Working on the Sabbath
"The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: ‘Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death."(Exodus 31:12-15)

9. Killed by a Lion
"Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, 'Strike me!' But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, 'Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me.' And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him."(1 Kings 20:35-36)

10. Kill Sons of Sinners
"Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants."(Isaiah 14:21)

11. Mass Murder
"This is what the Lord of hosts has to say: ‘I will punish what Amalek did to Israel when he barred his way as he was coming up from Egypt. Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses."(1 Samuel 15:2-3)

12. More Rape and Baby Killing
"Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children."(Isaiah 13:15-18)

13. God Kills an Extended Family
"You have done more evil than all who lived before you. You have made other gods and have made me furious with your gold calves. And since you have turned your back on me, I will bring disaster on your dynasty and kill all your sons, slave or free alike. I will burn up your royal dynasty as one burns up trash until it is all gone. I, the LORD, vow that the members of your family who die in the city will be eaten by dogs, and those who die in the field will be eaten by vultures.' Then Ahijah said to Jeroboam's wife, Go on home, and when you enter the city, the child will die. All Israel will mourn for him and bury him. He is the only member of your family who will have a proper burial, for this child is the only good thing that the LORD, the God of Israel, sees in the entire family of Jeroboam. And the LORD will raise up a king over Israel who will destroy the family of Jeroboam. This will happen today, even now! Then the LORD will shake Israel like a reed whipped about in a stream. He will uproot the people of Israel from this good land that he gave their ancestors and will scatter them beyond the Euphrates River, for they have angered the LORD by worshiping Asherah poles. He will abandon Israel because Jeroboam sinned and made all of Israel sin along with him." (1 Kings 14:9-16)

14. God Promises More Killing
"I will make Mount Seir utterly desolate, killing off all who try to escape and any who return. I will fill your mountains with the dead. Your hills, your valleys, and your streams will be filled with people slaughtered by the sword. I will make you desolate forever. Your cities will never be rebuilt. Then you will know that I am the LORD."(Ezekiel 35:7-9 NLT)
How the Hebrew slaves are to be treated
"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free. If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever." (Exodus 21:2-6)

15. Sex slave
"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment."(Exodus 21:7-11)

16. Beating your slave to death
"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property."(Exodus 21:20-21 )

17. Slaves as property
"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."(Leviticus 25:44-46)

18. Murder, rape and pillage of the Midianites
"They attacked Midian just as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. All five of the Midianite kings“ Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba“ died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho.
Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp. But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. Why have you let all the women live? he demanded. These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves. (Numbers 31:7-18)

19. More Murder Rape and Pillage
"As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you."(Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

20. Laws of Rape
"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."(Deuteronomy 22:28-29)

21. Death to the Rape Victim
"If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife." (Deuteronomy 22:23-24)

22. Rape of Female Captives
"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion." (Deuteronomy 21:10-14)
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #16

Post by alexxcJRO »

wannabe wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:56 am

Swearing definition : The use of offensive language.
(The word "offensive" lables the next word, "language".)

So how can inflicting in a compounding way, towards your internal being, be beneficial or even neutral.
surely ones portfolio as an eternal being should mean something even if eternity where not real.

Just the mere act adds at least 1 point to ones own person.
Like I said:
"By the contrary its liberating.
It can be a way to emotionally release stuff."

Always acting perfectly: Lady like, Gentleman like, politically correct like, sexually correct like, pious like, righteous like and so on can be really detrimental. Lead to accumulation of frustration and stress which would likely lead to a big emotional eruption, outburst and consequently to some possible negative actions/deeds.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #17

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to alexxcJRO in post #15]

Hi Alex
You have points there that cannot be ignored.
I think it is about culture and context of those times, barbaric compared to our times.
That was how God's commands and laws were interpreted and carried out.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #18

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to alexxcJRO in post #15]

Hi Alex
You sound very sceptical that the guidelines of how to live are to be found in the Bible or are contradictory. This is how I perceive your viewpoint - forgive me if I am mistaken.

So, what is your view of The Beatitudes, Mathew Chapter 5, continuing in Chapter 6 onwards, in which is I believe the very best of His guidance for us. Do you also reject this?
I am interested in where there might exist any better rules for life.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #19

Post by alexxcJRO »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:55 pm [Replying to alexxcJRO in post #15]

Hi Alex
You have points there that cannot be ignored.
I think it is about culture and context of those times, barbaric compared to our times.
That was how God's commands and laws were interpreted and carried out.
Q: So those commands were not God’s commands? Those are not the words of God?

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:18 am [Replying to alexxcJRO in post #15]

Hi Alex
You sound very sceptical that the guidelines of how to live are to be found in the Bible or are contradictory. This is how I perceive your viewpoint - forgive me if I am mistaken.

So, what is your view of The Beatitudes, Mathew Chapter 5, continuing in Chapter 6 onwards, in which is I believe the very best of His guidance for us. Do you also reject this?
I am interested in where there might exist any better rules for life.
Let's not cherry pick from Mathew 5 only the things we like.

Q: You mean this: “And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.”,
“It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.”
?
Q: How is the doctrine of hell help your case?
Its barbaric too. Forever punishment for finite wrong doings.

Q: You mean this: “ But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”?
That is moronic and stupid. Just silly.
If I marry a divorced woman I have committed adultery.
Poor divorced women. They can't marry without upsetting Jesus. :chuckel:

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #20

Post by Rose2020 »

So Alex
Where and from whom are the best guidelines for living?
If not from God, through the Bible.