Bad language

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Bad language

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

I glanced at the National Comedy Awards last night but a few minutes was ample. I couldn't believe the bad language and crudity. One successful actress who has such a sweet face in my view came on stage to give an award. She spoke and expressed the most crude sentence, using the F word. Even hardened fellow comedians and audience were visibly shocked. I switched off, having lost all respect for her.

Why? Do men, let alone women, think swearing is funny? Oh how they downgrade sex into the most soulless, miserable act. The hysterically amused audience seem so well pleased.

It says somewhere in the Bible do not use the same tongue to curse that you were given to worship our Lord God with. I know Christians who swear using the F word. It cannot be ever be right. My biggest distress is hearing Jesus Christ's name used in terrible ways. Yet it goes unchallenged. Even the word 'mother', most precious of words, has been corrupted.

Call me old fashioned but I really do despair.
However, I have lots of good, civilised Christian friends who would never use foul language. I choose to associate with them. I refuse to go along with crude people.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Bad language

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:36 pm I glanced at the National Comedy Awards last night but a few minutes was ample. I couldn't believe the bad language and crudity.
I assume by "bad language" you mean profanity. What were you expecting to hear?

It says somewhere in the Bible do not use the same tongue to curse that you were given to worship our Lord God with.
Where is that place in the Bible? It doesn't ring a bell for me.
However, I have lots of good, civilised Christian friends who would never use foul language. I choose to associate with them. I refuse to go along with crude people.
And I have lots of good, civilized atheist friends who never use profanity. I don't pick my friends based on the language they use however, but rather their depth of character. I know plenty of people who don't use profanity and yet have no problem judging others and demeaning them behind their backs. Their character shines through even if their language is sanitized.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:36 pm I glanced at the National Comedy Awards last night but a few minutes was ample. I couldn't believe the bad language and crudity. One successful actress who has such a sweet face in my view came on stage to give an award. She spoke and expressed the most crude sentence, using the F word. Even hardened fellow comedians and audience were visibly shocked. I switched off, having lost all respect for her.

Why? Do men, let alone women, think swearing is funny?
I seriously doubt it was the swearing per se, but rather the context. There was context was there not? Or did these people simply stand before the audience and utter **** and ***** and then walk off? And assuming it was most likely broadcast over the air I find it doubtful they said anything like **** *** or **** ******. Right?

Oh how they downgrade sex into the most soulless, miserable act.
Really! You mean that words themselves can downgrade sex into the most soulless, miserable act for you? If so, I suggest you're investing them with way too much intrinsic power. My question is, why would anyone, you specifically, do such a thing? . . . . Think about it.

The hysterically amused audience seem so well pleased.
Then those on stage were doing what they were hired to do: entertain the audience. AND if the audience seemed well pleased, just who were the "hardened fellow comedians and audience [who] were visibly shocked" you mentioned?

It says somewhere in the Bible do not use the same tongue to curse that you were given to worship our Lord God with.
It also says that practicing homosexual males are to be killed.

Leviticus 20:13
“If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

Did you kill your share last year?

I know Christians who swear using the F word. It cannot be ever be right.
Why not? Exactly what is wrong with uttering the F word?

My biggest distress is hearing Jesus Christ's name used in terrible ways. Yet it goes unchallenged.
Then go ahead and challenge it. Or do you expect others to do all the challenging?

Even the word 'mother', most precious of words, has been corrupted.
"Most precious"? Well, okay. To each his own.

"Rose2020 is old fashioned."

Addendum:
Channel 4's Offensive Language Guidelines
source

"After the Watershed

After 9pm, whether or not offensive language is justified will depend largely on the audience's expectations and the context - for example the particular word in question and how offensive it is, how it is being used (descriptively, as an insult, aggressively, as vernacular), the nature of the programme, time of broadcast, whether a warning has been given.

Generally, frequent use of very strong language, for example "****" or "************", should be reserved for later in the schedule. However, use of the word "****", including its liberal use, is less likely to cause widespread offence even in programmes starting right on the watershed, as long as there is strong editorial justification and viewers are properly forewarned. For programmes that are scheduled to start actually at 9pm, it is likely to be preferable that the use of strong language is avoided in the opening minutes of the programme and especially pre-titles. See 'Scheduling and the Watershed'.

Because of its potential to cause widespread offence, use of the word "****" requires exceptional justification at any time. In practice, its inclusion is rarely justifiable before 10pm.

Profanities, for example "Jesus", "Christ Almighty," cause offence to many at whatever time of day they are broadcast and, if included, should be editorially justified as well as by the context.

Profanities coupled with other highly offensive language for example "Jesus ******* Christ" can cause serious offence. In most cases, such expressions will be unacceptable at any time and will need to be removed either by 'dipping', 'bleeping', or editing out the sequence altogether.

Please note that the offensive words I've indicated with *** are spelled out.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rose2020 »

Many valid points raised here, fair enough. Everyone has their opinions.

For me, swearing has no place in my life. I find it demeaning and threatening. Repulsive especially in women , not ladylike. Laugh if you choose, but I believe no gentleman swears in the hearing of a lady he values - for instance his mother. It is a lowering of standards.
On a slight tangent, it is very bad to swear in front of children, it sets the worst example.

At the least level such words are actually absurd, meaningless. It also indicates, to me at least, a lack of vocabulary and serious flaws of character. Yes certain words do diminish sex and love, two precious gifts we have as creations of God. A swearing man or woman shows lack of respect.

As for entertainment, there are many highly successful comedians who do not swear. They don't need to as they possess real talent to give the gift of laughter.

Anyone who accepts profane language should ask themselves why.

OliviaSmith1971

Post #5

Post by OliviaSmith1971 »

Bad language in general is bad, as the name says. If it serves no purpose, then it's better to stray away from it. I can understand if someone uses it to relieve stress or get something out of their mind and feel better after it. We are all humans and this behavior can be beneficial. If it's bad language to just be swearing, then it's simply not nice.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

James 3 verse 10

Colossians 3. Verse 8

Ephesians 5. Verses 4

James 1. Verse 26

Exodus 20. Verse 7

That to me is clear enough.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #7

Post by alexxcJRO »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:06 am I glanced at the National Comedy Awards last night but a few minutes was ample. I couldn't believe the bad language and crudity. One successful actress who has such a sweet face in my view came on stage to give an award. She spoke and expressed the most crude sentence, using the F word. Even hardened fellow comedians and audience were visibly shocked. I switched off, having lost all respect for her.

Why? Do men, let alone women, think swearing is funny? Oh how they downgrade sex into the most soulless, miserable act. The hysterically amused audience seem so well pleased.

It says somewhere in the Bible do not use the same tongue to curse that you were given to worship our Lord God with. I know Christians who swear using the F word. It cannot be ever be right. My biggest distress is hearing Jesus Christ's name used in terrible ways. Yet it goes unchallenged. Even the word 'mother', most precious of words, has been corrupted.

Many valid points raised here, fair enough. Everyone has their opinions.

For me, swearing has no place in my life. I find it demeaning and threatening. Repulsive especially in women, not ladylike. Laugh if you choose, but I believe no gentleman swears in the hearing of a lady he values - for instance his mother. It is a lowering of standards.
On a slight tangent, it is very bad to swear in front of children, it sets the worst example.

At the least level such words are actually absurd, meaningless. It also indicates, to me at least, a lack of vocabulary and serious flaws of character. Yes certain words do diminish sex and love, two precious gifts we have as creations of God. A swearing man or woman shows lack of respect.

As for entertainment, there are many highly successful comedians who do not swear. They don't need to as they possess real talent to give the gift of laughter.

Anyone who accepts profane language should ask themselves why.
1. There is no objective way to live your live.
Some people may insist that there is. They are delusional.
Arguing about subjective things and insisting one’s ponderings(about swearing, sex, relationships, appearance, consumption and so one) are objective is illogical and silly.
Imposing your subjective way of living your life on others that’s what’s the problem.
What is considered Lady like, Gentleman like, what is slutty, what is taboo, what is permissible to consume, to do changes like the weather as decades, centuries, millennia go by.
People might be walking naked in 1000 years on the street with no issue. Zero eyebrow raised.

2. There are more serious problems in the world.
Talking about such trivial things seems silly and rather unimportant.
I think humans have become rather too sensible, Karen like and weak.
Scared of watching horror movie; scared of most animals; get offended because of the most silly, small things; complain so much about silly, small things; not being able to support the simplest discomfort and displeasure.
I hear it all the time: “I can’t eat that”, “I cannot eat cold food”, “I don’t eat leftovers”, “I can’t not go out if not showered”, “I can’t watch that movie”, “You offended me for being sexually extroverted, tattooed, in favor of polygamy, listening to a certain music”, “I can’t sleep if I am not showered”, “I can’t sleep alone”, “I can’t eat alone”, “I can’t stay alone with my thoughts for more then 30 min”, “I am scared of dogs, cats, rats”, “I am afraid of God”. “I can’t do that in bed, it’s gross, I am scared, that’s weird”.
It's just ridiculous how most Christians cannot exhibit even the simplest form of Job like behaviour. No room for the simplest form of stoicism.
Imagine if some black swan extinction level event comes forth how the overwhelmingly majority of humans will surely perish.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #8

Post by alexxcJRO »

OliviaSmith1971 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:56 am Bad language in general is bad, as the name says. If it serves no purpose, then it's better to stray away from it. I can understand if someone uses it to relieve stress or get something out of their mind and feel better after it. We are all humans and this behavior can be beneficial. If it's bad language to just be swearing, then it's simply not nice.
Let’s say I swear alone not directing it at anyone.
I swear for 1 hour straight.
Q: How is that bad: morally objectionable/evil?
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

The way to live life is by the Bible, the Word of God. Guidance on every aspect is there. We should try, call in prayer for strength to do it.

If you curse privately or not even at anyone, just reflect on how it makes you feel about yourself. It is destructive.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:36 pmWhy? Do men, let alone women, think swearing is funny? Oh how they downgrade sex into the most soulless, miserable act. The hysterically amused audience seem so well pleased.
It's mainly emphatic but it's not emphasising anything. It's essentially a laughtrack. And don't worry, it's not funny. They pay those people to laugh and they think that because they do that, you'll go with the herd and laugh.

I'm a casual swearer, I'm not offended in the least... and it's not funny. None of it is funny. You even have a point as far as I'm concerned about the sexual content. All people have left to make fun of is the fact that the pair bond is a dead horse, and since they punch down when they're beating it... it's not funny.

See punching down in comedy. The basic idea is, making fun of a king is funny, because the king is powerful and when you make fun of a king, you punch up. Making fun of a poor man scraping for scraps is significantly less funny, and if someone is just ripping on that poor man, if you're a decent person, you should get this little twinge, saying, this isn't right. Now you're punching down and it isn't funny anymore.