Post by William »

QFD:

Tcg
Savant

Re: Defending Honour through violence

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to William in post #1]

Honour? Less ignorant times? Not sure about either.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:24 pm QFD:

Seems WS is over compensating for his 'love' for his 'wife', considering all the T she has put out in the past few months about them, their relationship and their 'love'.
One thing is for sure: WS seems to have gotten more publicity for this in the first 24 hours than he has in the past 2-3 years.
What this is: over paid celebrities living their...best... lives....?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:15 pm

Seems WS is over compensating for his 'love' for his 'wife', considering all the T she has put out in the past few months about them, their relationship and their 'love'.
Not sure what is meant by "T"...
One thing is for sure: WS seems to have gotten more publicity for this in the first 24 hours than he has in the past 2-3 years.
Perhaps - but re the OP, the idea of a man/husband defending a woman/wife's honour is under question.

If the wife was that offended, why does she require a husband to respond violently on her behalf?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:35 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:15 pm

Not sure what is meant by "T"...
Perhaps - but re the OP, the idea of a man/husband defending a woman/wife's honour is under question.

If the wife was that offended, why does she require a husband to respond violently on her behalf?
"T" meaning gossip/personal info. Using "T" is slang for "tea", in this regard.
I understand why someone would want to protect their spouse. Making such a unnecessary spectacle of it - and all the (in the USA) non-broadcasted extras that went along with it - speaks more about insecurities WS has about their relationship than any defending as far as I could see.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #5]
I understand why someone would want to protect their spouse.
"Understanding" it means what, in context?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:46 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #5]
I'm not sure how to make it any more clear than saying 'I understand why someone would want to protect their spouse'. Someone loves their spouse so much they don't want to see them upset or hurt by someone else and feel the need to 'protect' them. Does that help?

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:53 pm
I'm not sure how to make it any more clear than saying 'I understand why someone would want to protect their spouse'. Someone loves their spouse so much they don't want to see them upset or hurt by someone else and feel the need to 'protect' them. Does that help?
Yes.

Does the understanding you have also include the notion that such behavior is based in knowledge or in ignorance?

Would it have made any difference if Wills wife had of done the slapping?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:15 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:53 pm
Yes.

Does the understanding you have also include the notion that such behavior is based in knowledge or in ignorance?

Would it have made any difference if Wills wife had of done the slapping?
Knowledge and ignorance in opinion based; what you see it as another might not.
The difference would be she did it for her, not him for her. It's a minuscule difference not worth much in the grand scheme of things (being public violence) but worth noting.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #10

Post by AgnosticBoy »

[Replying to William in post #1]

I thnk Will Smith has given a good answer to this...

Will Smith is resigning from the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, he announced in a statement Friday, and he will accept any further consequences the Academy's board deems appropriate after his Oscars slap.

"Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason," the "King Richard" star said in a statement.

Full statement below:
I have directly responded to the Academy's disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film. So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate. Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.
- MSN
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB