ANTI Gay bills in the USA

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

ANTI Gay bills in the USA

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

It seems donny trump was successful in resurrecting (IMO) people's bravado when it comes to discrimination in the USA. According to the below link, at this time there are over 200 anti-LGBTQ laws filed so far:
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-pol ... -rcna20418

Of course, I haven't read ALL these bills, but the ones I read seem rather ambiguous once you look at them with a critical eye. I believe that's out of design on the bills' creators, likely to further their agenda (politicians aren't too good at hiding their own biasness).

It makes me wonder, why do people discriminate against others? Sure, the term 'discriminate' can be used in many different ways: you can discriminate against solely on one's skin color or, if you don't like a particular person based on their personality, they can claim you're 'discriminating against them'. Which, in fact, you are, but it's a different type of discrimination than over skin color. Or gender. Or sexuality. Or age.
I've always said if I don't like someone, that is only because they're a terrible person (mean, rude, dangerous, whatever) and 'a terrible person' can be of any age, gender, sexuality, skin color and on and on.

For discussion:
1) Did donny help solidify these people who don't like people different than them, causing them to be more vocal, or did the fact that someone like a president made it more 'permissible' to act this way?
2) What lies behind true discrimination? Hate? Fear? Ignorance? Correctness?
3) Are those fighting against discrimination wrong? Should everyone discriminate against everyone else all the time?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: ANTI Gay bills in the USA

Post #2

Post by Miles »

My suspicion is that there's a lot of self-denial going on among closet LGBTQ state law makers.

.............................................."Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals

A new analysis of implicit bias and explicit sexual orientation statements may
.........................help to explain the underpinnings of anti-gay bullying and hate crimes.

Homophobes should consider a little self-reflection, suggests a new study finding those individuals who are most hostile toward gays and hold strong anti-gay views may themselves have same-sex desires, albeit undercover ones.

"This study shows that if you are feeling that kind of visceral reaction to an out-group, ask yourself, 'Why?'" co-author Richard Ryan, a professor of psychology at the University of Rochester, said in a statement. "Those intense emotions should serve as a call to self-reflection."

"Sometimes people are threatened by gays and lesbians because they are fearing their own impulses, in a sense they 'doth protest too much,'" Ryan told LiveScience. "In addition, it appears that sometimes those who would oppress others have been oppressed themselves, and we can have some compassion for them too, they may be unaccepting of others because they cannot be accepting of themselves."

SOURCE LINK: SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: ANTI Gay bills in the USA

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:01 pm .

My suspicion is that there's a lot of self-denial going on among closet LGBTQ state law makers.

.............................................."Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals

A new analysis of implicit bias and explicit sexual orientation statements may
.........................help to explain the underpinnings of anti-gay bullying and hate crimes.

Homophobes should consider a little self-reflection, suggests a new study finding those individuals who are most hostile toward gays and hold strong anti-gay views may themselves have same-sex desires, albeit undercover ones.

"This study shows that if you are feeling that kind of visceral reaction to an out-group, ask yourself, 'Why?'" co-author Richard Ryan, a professor of psychology at the University of Rochester, said in a statement. "Those intense emotions should serve as a call to self-reflection."

"Sometimes people are threatened by gays and lesbians because they are fearing their own impulses, in a sense they 'doth protest too much,'" Ryan told LiveScience. "In addition, it appears that sometimes those who would oppress others have been oppressed themselves, and we can have some compassion for them too, they may be unaccepting of others because they cannot be accepting of themselves."

SOURCE LINK: SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN

I think that is very likely. We've seen this so often it's almost a given. I'd go as far as to say some of the bill creators and supporters may have been 'burned' by a gay or trans person in the past and this is their way of getting revenge.
I always found it interesting how many people claim gay and trans people are 'sick', but give people who are against gay and trans people that get caught in those actions a free pass.
Interesting, angry and sad.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!