A Christian and a Muslim are drowning, who would you rescue?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Flail

A Christian and a Muslim are drowning, who would you rescue?

Post #1

Post by Flail »

If a Christian and a Muslim were drowning and you could rescue but one, which one would it be?

I would think that if you were a Christian, you would rescue the Muslim, since you would "know" that your fellow Christian had eternal life anyway.

I would think that if you were a Muslim, that you would rescue the Christian, since you would 'know' that the Muslim had eternal life anyway.

If you were not religious you would attempt to rescue them both and die.. but you would have your salvation in your selfless act of kindness and non-judgment.....

So why all the fighting over who will be anointed?

Darias
Guru

Re: A Christian and a Muslim are drowning, who would you res

Post #31

Post by Darias »

Flail wrote: If a Christian and a Muslim were drowning and you could rescue but one, which one would it be?

I would think that if you were a Christian, you would rescue the Muslim, since you would "know" that your fellow Christian had eternal life anyway.

I would think that if you were a Muslim, that you would rescue the Christian, since you would 'know' that the Muslim had eternal life anyway.

If you were not religious you would attempt to rescue them both and die.. but you would have your salvation in your selfless act of kindness and non-judgment.....

As a humanist, I would be obligated to attempt to save them both as best I could, not for the sake of any reward in the afterlife; it would simply be my duty as a human being.

I find revolting the notion of picking the 'more worthy' survivor based on their religious beliefs or 'incorrect' religious beliefs. There wouldn't even be time to inquire them of what their faith was, much less their moral views.

SeveredVayne

Post #32

Post by SeveredVayne »

Agreed. However if placed in that situation feeling that both faiths are silly superstition, I'm not sure I could make that call from afar. As a humanist, I'd HAVE to save at least one of them!
So my answer is: Whichever one is closest.

Dantalion
Guru

Post #33

Post by Dantalion »

well,

I would dress myself as the most flamboyant transvestite imaginable.
The one who I feel at that time doesn't seem to care the slightest, that's the one I would rescue.

houndazs

Post #34

Post by houndazs »

Fallibleone wrote:
You would??

Personally, I would grab whoever was closest and then head for shore before I made more work for the coastguard/undertaker.

Yea what he said. It is logically the best choice.

Dantalion
Guru

Post #35

Post by Dantalion »

houndazs wrote:
Fallibleone wrote:
You would??

Personally, I would grab whoever was closest and then head for shore before I made more work for the coastguard/undertaker.

Yea what he said. It is logically the best choice.
Well, it was established that the distance between you and each drowner was identical, so that would make the 'whoever is closest' thing kinda mute

Zetesis Apistia
Guru

Post #36

Post by Zetesis Apistia »

Flail wrote: If a Christian and a Muslim were drowning and you could rescue but one, which one would it be?

Show me one food bank, homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc. that is funded by atheists or muslims and I will show you a thousand that are funded by Christians. Those food banks, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, etc that are funded by Christians serve atheists, muslims, and anyone else that is in need.

Staib

Post #37

Post by Staib »

An old thread, and a bit of a topic hijack, but it's my first post so please forgive me!

The topic caught my eye as I HAVE had the rare opportunity to actually save a drowning person...

Back then I was building a sandcastle on a summer beach with my two young sons, as my wife was quietly reading. Looking up and out to sea I saw a man's arm flailing around as his head sank beneath the water. He was beyond the breaking waves, out of his depth, and in trouble, but weirdly no else seemed to have noticed what was happening. I knew he needed help urgently.

I am not religious, but that instinct (?) to help a stranger was surprising in its intensity. Needless to say the person's personal beliefs were as irrelevant at that moment as their choice of motor vehicle.

I yelled at the boys not to move and then ran and swam out and literally dragged him back to shore. It was hard and frightening, as a drowning person only ever wants to push himself up out of the water. Lesson learned? Never - ever - try and rescue someone without taking a boyancy aid.

Grab a lilo, a beachball, a cushion - anything, then go and save a life.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by Choir Loft »

[Replying to post 1 by Flail]

It is obvious from the tone of this initial post that Flail, like most Americans, has absolutely no idea of the murderous intent of Islam. While it is true that a Christian would attempt to rescue the Muslim it is NOT true that the Muslim would attempt to rescue the Christian. In fact, the primary law of Islam, Sharia, states that the Muslim should kill the Christian on sight.

None of this has anything whatsoever to do with eternal life. Put your harp away and read what the Qur'an says..

But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the idolators wherever ye find them, and take them, and prepare for them each ambush.
Surah 9.5

There are a great many more verses in the Qur'an about murdering Christians and Jews and not a few nasty things to say about atheists and homosexuals too. Before you paint lovely pictures about what a grand religion Islam is you'd better be very aware of their designs upon YOU.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by Nickman »

[Replying to post 1 by Flail]

Reading the title I automatically thought both. Then you said only one. If thats the case then I would rescue the one that cannot swim.

Peter
Guru

Post #40

Post by Peter »

Irrational belief has nothing to do with it. I would rescue them in this order.

The prettiest woman if both were women.
The woman if one was a man.
The closest if both were men.
The least heavy if they were equidistant.

Unfortunately they would both probably drown while I ran down the decision tree.
:lol:
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens