A Christian and a Muslim are drowning, who would you rescue?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Flail

A Christian and a Muslim are drowning, who would you rescue?

Post #1

Post by Flail »

If a Christian and a Muslim were drowning and you could rescue but one, which one would it be?

I would think that if you were a Christian, you would rescue the Muslim, since you would "know" that your fellow Christian had eternal life anyway.

I would think that if you were a Muslim, that you would rescue the Christian, since you would 'know' that the Muslim had eternal life anyway.

If you were not religious you would attempt to rescue them both and die.. but you would have your salvation in your selfless act of kindness and non-judgment.....

So why all the fighting over who will be anointed?

playhavock
Guru

Re: A Christian and a Muslim are drowning, who would you res

Post #41

Post by playhavock »

[Replying to post 1 by Flail]

Do the most good for the most people - I would try to save both. If I could not save both I would ask them who was willing to sacerfice themself for the other, if I got no responce I would save whoever I thought would be quicker to save to try to save the other if they were equal mass and weight and so on - I would save who I thought was the younger, if they were the same general age I would have to deside abertarly who to save based on a random pick, filp of the coin.

Peter
Guru

Re: A Christian and a Muslim are drowning, who would you res

Post #42

Post by Peter »

playhavock wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Flail]

Do the most good for the most people - I would try to save both. If I could not save both I would ask them who was willing to sacerfice themself for the other, if I got no responce I would save whoever I thought would be quicker to save to try to save the other if they were equal mass and weight and so on - I would save who I thought was the younger, if they were the same general age I would have to deside abertarly who to save based on a random pick, filp of the coin.
Oh my, they would surely drown after all that Havock! :lol:
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Re: opinion

Post #43

Post by East of Eden »

garnat07 wrote: If a christian and a muslim were drowning i would not save either of them. Then our world would be a little bit better.

Thank goodness.
Exactly what Stalin and your fellow atheists thought. Let's hope your kind never get power again.
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by JoeyKnothead »

East of Eden wrote:
garnat07 wrote: If a christian and a muslim were drowning i would not save either of them. Then our world would be a little bit better.

Thank goodness.
Exactly what Stalin and your fellow atheists thought. Let's hope your kind never get power again.
This atheist never thought any such a thing, and finds your comment here a complete and utter refusal, or just plain failure, to learn anything about those with whom you disagree.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #45

Post by East of Eden »

JoeyKnothead wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

Thank goodness.
This atheist never thought any such a thing, and finds your comment here a complete and utter refusal, or just plain failure, to learn anything about those with whom you disagree.
The 100,000,000 dead victims of atheistic communism would disagree with you, if they could talk. The communists thought the world would be better off without these 'undesirables', just like the bigot above who preferred to let people drown.
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #46

Post by Goat »

East of Eden wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

Thank goodness.
The 100,000,000 dead victims of atheistic communism would disagree with you, if they could talk. The communists thought the world would be better off without these 'undesirables', just like the bigot above who preferred to let people drown.

there is one big point when it comes to this 'atheistic communism' that you keep on totally ignoring.

When Stalin got in power, there were less than 1000 Orthodox churches, By the time he left, there were over 20,000 orthodox churches. If he was so hostile to religion, why the big increase?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 44:
East of Eden wrote:
If a christian and a muslim were drowning i would not save either of them. Then our world would be a little bit better.

Thank goodness.
JoeyKnothead wrote: This atheist never thought any such a thing, and finds your comment here a complete and utter refusal, or just plain failure, to learn anything about those with whom you disagree.
The 100,000,000 dead victims of atheistic communism would disagree with you, if they could talk.
What part of "I never thought to let one or the other of the folks mentioned in the OP drown" are you most struggling to comprehend?

I realize you wish the blame each and every individual atheist for the failings of others, but it ain't so.

You do so out of either ignorance (clinical term), or malice. You do not do so with any basis in logic, truth, or honor.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #48

Post by East of Eden »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 44:
East of Eden wrote:
If a christian and a muslim were drowning i would not save either of them. Then our world would be a little bit better.

Thank goodness.
JoeyKnothead wrote: This atheist never thought any such a thing, and finds your comment here a complete and utter refusal, or just plain failure, to learn anything about those with whom you disagree.
The 100,000,000 dead victims of atheistic communism would disagree with you, if they could talk.
What part of "I never thought to let one or the other of the folks mentioned in the OP drown" are you most struggling to comprehend?

I realize you wish the blame each and every individual atheist for the failings of others, but it ain't so.
Completely wrong, and speaking of honor, you should retract that.
You do so out of either ignorance (clinical term), or malice. You do not do so with any basis in logic, truth, or honor.

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #49

Post by East of Eden »

Goat wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

Thank goodness.

there is one big point when it comes to this 'atheistic communism' that you keep on totally ignoring.

When Stalin got in power, there were less than 1000 Orthodox churches, By the time he left, there were over 20,000 orthodox churches. If he was so hostile to religion, why the big increase?
I think you're referring the the WWII ploy which gave limited freedom to churches in an effort to lift moral. This is from Wikipedia on Stalin and religion:

"Continuous persecution in the 1930s resulted in its near-extinction as a public institution: by 1939, active parishes numbered in the low hundreds (down from 54,000 in 1917), many churches had been leveled, and tens of thousands of priests, monks and nuns were persecuted and killed. Over 100,000 were shot during the purges of 1937–1938."

It is nothing but spin to pretend Stalin was other than deeply, murderously hostile to religion. As were most atheistic communist regimes for that matter.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #50

Post by Goat »

East of Eden wrote:
Goat wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

Thank goodness.

I think you're referring the the WWII ploy which gave limited freedom to churches in an effort to lift moral. This is from Wikipedia on Stalin and religion:

"Continuous persecution in the 1930s resulted in its near-extinction as a public institution: by 1939, active parishes numbered in the low hundreds (down from 54,000 in 1917), many churches had been leveled, and tens of thousands of priests, monks and nuns were persecuted and killed. Over 100,000 were shot during the purges of 1937–1938."

It is nothing but spin to pretend Stalin was other than deeply, murderously hostile to religion. As were most atheistic communist regimes for that matter.

Was it a ploy?? As for 'monks and nuns being shot'.. was that because they were religious, or because they were opposing the communist government?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella