A Christian and a Muslim are drowning, who would you rescue?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Flail

A Christian and a Muslim are drowning, who would you rescue?

Post #1

Post by Flail »

If a Christian and a Muslim were drowning and you could rescue but one, which one would it be?

I would think that if you were a Christian, you would rescue the Muslim, since you would "know" that your fellow Christian had eternal life anyway.

I would think that if you were a Muslim, that you would rescue the Christian, since you would 'know' that the Muslim had eternal life anyway.

If you were not religious you would attempt to rescue them both and die.. but you would have your salvation in your selfless act of kindness and non-judgment.....

So why all the fighting over who will be anointed?

czyz
Scholar

Post #61

Post by czyz »

Godlessness begets a violent and lascivious society. How many sex slaves are there now in Europe? How many murders are commited in secularized American cities?
Utter tripe. You ignore sir the overwhelming evidence that religion has sparked violence and unmentionable acts of cruelty since man invented religion. A few examples are pograms (ethnic cleansing wars) initiated by religious authority (see Serbia as one recent example), the forced conversion of Jews and pagans, the Spanish inquisition, flying planes into buildings in downtown Manhattan, the advent of the Ustasia during WW2 in Yugoslavia whose Catholic leaders butchered Serbians by the thousands, persecution of various religious sects by other religious sects in the American colonies prior to the adoption of the Constitution, fleecing of gullible followers by numerous religions leaders, and the list continues.

Every 20 seconds on Earth, one human being kills another human being. The vast majority of these killings is not done for personal gain, but because the person was following a cause, a leader, or a crusade. I quote Steven Weinberg who stated that good people will do and say good things most of the time, bad people will do and say bad things most of the time, but to get a good person to do or say a bad thing, that takes religon.

If religion stopped tomorrow do you think there would be screwing in the streets or do you not believe that most people have a moral compass to guide them? We currently have religion so your argument that religion or belief would stop the acts you describe is a non-sequitur.

Many agnostics such as myself or atheists are not theistically bound but we have an inner code of conduct and our own moral compass to guide us. If you saw a person being tortured and taken to be killed would you try and stop it? Funny how that line of thinking never entered anyones mind when that was being done to Jesus by the religious of the day.

barcelonic
Student

Post #62

Post by barcelonic »

Just a thought, but perhaps I'd have time enough to save both were I not busy asking them whether they just came from the church or the mosque?

Seriously though, how would I know?

Zetesis Apistia
Guru

Post #63

Post by Zetesis Apistia »

barcelonic wrote: Just a thought, but perhaps I'd have time enough to save both were I not busy asking them whether they just came from the church or the mosque?

Seriously though, how would I know?
Well you could do like they did during the inquisition. If they sink their worthy and if they float sink em.

Sonofason
Banned
Banned

Post #64

Post by Sonofason »

I never like answering hypothetical questions. The fact is, in but a moments time assessing the situation, far greater information would be discovered than you have provided us with your hypothetical question. In this particular hypothetical you suggest that there is one Christian and one Muslim, but you do not tell us which person is which. I do not suppose that if I were truly limited to saving only one of the individuals that I would waste time trying to determine which one is a Muslim or which one is the Christian. It is likely that I would save the person who seemed most savable in the moment. Or perhaps one is male and one is female; in such a case, I might save the female first. Maybe that's a sexist prejudice I have, but I call it old fashioned.

If of course I knew which person was a Muslim and which one was a Christian, and if ALL other things were equal, I would save them both, because God is not constrained by hypotheticals. We would all live to see another day.