Slavery

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Is Slavery Moral?

Yes, MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
No votes
Sure, I mean, God doesn't disapprove....
No votes
You know, I haven't given this issue much thought...
No votes
No, the whole notion disgusts me...
50%
HELL NO!!
25%
HELL NO!!
25%

Total votes: 4

ENIGMA
Sage

Slavery

Post #1

Post by ENIGMA »

I was under the impression that slavery was, if not universally, almost so, considered immoral. Apparently not, and in an attempt to divert the sub-discussion from the Homosexuality thread:
Daystar wrote:
If slaves were treated the way Paul said to treat them, slavery was not a bad thing. Free room and board, free meals, mutual respect between master and slave. Ask anyone who has no home or job if he would mind working for someone like this. If man treated slaves the way God said to treat them, it would have been a different ball game.

Ack, I'm going to vomit.
[Day] Instead of barfing, why not tell me what is to terrible about treating a slave the way God said. Wouldn't it be a win-win situation for slave and slave owner?
I am quite curious what positive guidelines you claim that God laid out in such a relationship. One that specifies that if you harshly beat your slave and he dies a few days later then there is no foul for the slave is your property is hardly such a guideline.
Ask anyone who has no home or job if he would rather have a job at a living wage.
[Day] That's fine too Smile But if a slave has no home or food, what is so terrible about working for someone who will treat him as a human being instead of a the way slaves are normally treated.
...Except that kind of kills the whole point about owning another human being in the first place... and I claim, is not specified in the Bible.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

A thread on slavery currently exists, so I will be closing this thread.