The First Atheist TV Channel

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

The First Atheist TV Channel

Post #1

Post by SailingCyclops »

More than "entertainment", the first Atheist TV Channel will provide a counterpoint to the overwhelming preponderance of Christian propaganda aired on dozens of American TV channels.
American Atheists wrote: American Atheists is excited to announce what is believed to be the first atheism-dedicated television channel, Atheist TV.

In partnership with internet-streaming service Roku, which offers devices similar to cable boxes to bring hundreds of channels of content to your TV, American Atheists will bring together dozens of atheist content creators, including The Richard Dawkins Foundation, to present the first on-demand television station that presents exclusively atheist, humanist, and freethought programming.
So, what do you folks think about this development? Is it a good thing for Americans to be exposed to atheist, humanist, and free thought TV programming? Or, is it a threat to those who have strong supernatural beliefs, and who seek to propagate those beliefs?

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

AllAboutLove
Student

Re: The First Atheist TV Channel

Post #2

Post by AllAboutLove »

SailingCyclops wrote: More than "entertainment", the first Atheist TV Channel will provide a counterpoint to the overwhelming preponderance of Christian propaganda aired on dozens of American TV channels.
American Atheists wrote: American Atheists is excited to announce what is believed to be the first atheism-dedicated television channel, Atheist TV.

In partnership with internet-streaming service Roku, which offers devices similar to cable boxes to bring hundreds of channels of content to your TV, American Atheists will bring together dozens of atheist content creators, including The Richard Dawkins Foundation, to present the first on-demand television station that presents exclusively atheist, humanist, and freethought programming.
So, what do you folks think about this development? Is it a good thing for Americans to be exposed to atheist, humanist, and free thought TV programming? Or, is it a threat to those who have strong supernatural beliefs, and who seek to propagate those beliefs?
I'm glad atheists have the right to start their own channel, and if there's a demand, it will succeed. I just thought it was funny that an atheist channel is needed to offset the HEAVY CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE ON TV!

Don't see too much heavy Christian influence on MTV. Or MSNBC. Or the Science Channel. Or ESPN. Or Spike. Or... well, it's not a small list!

But to each their own. Anything the furthers spiritual debate in a respectful manner can't be a BAD thing. That is, if you're confident in the salience of your beliefs! :D

shnarkle
Guru

Post #3

Post by shnarkle »

AllAboutLove wrote:
SailingCyclops wrote: More than "entertainment", the first Atheist TV Channel will provide a counterpoint to the overwhelming preponderance of Christian propaganda aired on dozens of American TV channels.

I'm glad atheists have the right to start their own channel, and if there's a demand, it will succeed. I just thought it was funny that an atheist channel is needed to offset the HEAVY CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE ON TV!

Don't see too much heavy Christian influence on MTV. Or MSNBC. Or the Science Channel. Or ESPN. Or Spike. Or... well, it's not a small list!

But to each their own. Anything the furthers spiritual debate in a respectful manner can't be a BAD thing. That is, if you're confident in the salience of your beliefs! :D

A while back I got a mailer from the local cable company, and decided to respond with some questions. I noticed that the basic package includes quite a few Christian broadcasting networks which I thought was a bit weird. Needless to say, I passed. I now have ROKU and have the atheists TV programmed in, but there really isn't much of anything worth watching. It's all extremely low budget, boring garbage which is sad because there is so much out there that ought to be broadcast. There's really no point in supporting it as there's not much to get behind except the negation of God's existence. Who really cares about that?

Icey
Student

Post #4

Post by Icey »

SailingCyclops wrote:
Sat May 24, 2014 12:04 pm
More than "entertainment", the first Atheist TV Channel will provide a counterpoint to the overwhelming preponderance of Christian propaganda aired on dozens of American TV channels.

Anything that doesn't fall in to line with popular Christian views is a direct threat.
That said, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, as they say.
If you can have terrible shows like The 700 Club why not have an opposing view?
Surely Christians won't like that but they tend not to like things that don't fall in line with their POV
That said, I won't watch any of their shows due to what they have (or don't have, as it may be); it depends on if the shows are good or not. But I will not watch any Christian show/channel regardless. Hypocritical? Probably. Do I care? Nope.

Miles
Guru

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Icey wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:38 pm
SailingCyclops wrote:
Sat May 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Anything that doesn't fall in to line with popular Christian views is a direct threat.
That said, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, as they say.
If you can have terrible shows like The 700 Club why not have an opposing view?
Surely Christians won't like that but they tend not to like things that don't fall in line with their POV
That said, I won't watch any of their shows due to what they have (or don't have, as it may be); it depends on if the shows are good or not. But I will not watch any Christian show/channel regardless. Hypocritical? Probably. Do I care? Nope.
FYI. SailingCyclops hasn't posted here since 2017.