Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TRANSPONDER
Sage

The Fedora and atheism in comedy

Post #1

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Hi all.

I was toying with posting this in Apologetics, but it seemed too trivial really and there's a vid, too.

The thing was, I came across this 'Fedora' thing on my previous board some five years ago I recall by just one poster who was just trying to needle atheists rather than make any kind of argument.

The video 'explains' what that was all about - to take the Fedora hat (which I gather was supposed to be worn by a fat -faced unshaven clod with no social graces) and somehow "Associate that" (the animation says) with atheists. It seems to have dropped off since none of we goddless bastards knew what it was all about, but any recollection of or insights into the 'Fedora apologetic' would be appreciated.

While I'm here, of course, Atheism has done well out of entertainment. Bill Burr, George Carlin, Ricky Gervaise and Dave Allen (Irish comedian qv) have served us well and of course Life of Brian led to an uproar and a televised debate which in hindsight the Church lost because the Film is now a top comedy classic.

In fact I may post some of my favourite 'Entertainment' clips relating to religion.

Of course there have been old religious films that frankly pushed me away from religion rather than towards it (The ten commandments, Pastures green') we have more recent religious films and good luck to them. They are merely 'The Bible in Pictures' which I pored over as a kid but saw as no more than a fairy story.

TRANSPONDER
Sage

Re: The Fedora and atheism in comedy

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

This is a somewhat 'atheist classic' clip from Startrek with the iconic Picard before his recent destruction.

Purple Knight
Guru

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:55 pmThe video 'explains' what that was all about - to take the Fedora hat (which I gather was supposed to be worn by a fat -faced unshaven clod with no social graces) and somehow "Associate that" (the animation says) with atheists. It seems to have dropped off since none of we goddless bastards knew what it was all about, but any recollection of or insights into the 'Fedora apologetic' would be appreciated.
It seems to me to be just a diversion tactic which is what the video is making fun of, though it applies to both sides today. Winning the argument in modern day is more about making your side seem more powerful, more in control, and less worthy of ridicule, not more factually correct. And can you blame people? They don't want to be ridiculed. Flat earthers get this treatment and they don't really deserve it, because this is the point many of them are trying to prove: People don't believe the earth is a sphere because they have any evidence for it, but because they don't want to be ridiculed.

As ridicule continues to dominate the meta, and true discourse recedes, it becomes more and more powerful, with more and more reason to simply switch to the dominant side - the side that can ridicule - and more and more reason to hurl ridicule to position your side as the dominant one.

So the hat just symbolises ridicule. Not sure why though.

One Gallifreyan's opinion only but... Fedoras are cool. :wink:

TRANSPONDER
Sage

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Indeed. If atheist were in the habit of wearing fedoras...so what? Even if they did have fat faces and whiskers and were clumsy in chatting up the laidees...so what? As regards the case for atheism? Or Theism? I would be ashamed to have the atheist central committee and global sciencebribe slushfund and control bar and grill suggest attacking God -believers for having flat feet and unlaundered underpants. The case is what matters. However this should be more about atheism (or theism) in entertainment. Which reminds me, Dave Allen (probably not well known in the US) was a delight in my young days when one simply did Not go after religion.

:D I remember he's start of his show with 'I had a letter from a priest the other day......(pause)....I get quite a lot of letters from priests."

Athetotheist
Sage

Post #5

Post by Athetotheist »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:22 pm This is a somewhat 'atheist classic' clip from Startrek with the iconic Picard before his recent destruction.

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but since you bring up that clip----I never cared much for the scene or for the episode in general. I get that it was what Gene Roddenberry wanted, but I find Picard's groupthink off-putting. I much prefer the independent thinking of a more contemplative Picard in an earlier episode: