Christians & Mainstream Movies

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

phxwebguy

Christians & Mainstream Movies

Post #1

Post by phxwebguy »

Im new to these forums, but couldn't find another place to post this topic. Im a believer in Jesus Christ. I would go as far to say I used to be Baptist, but I dont like to label myself anymore.

I like to check out the website, christiananswers.net for some interesting questions that people post, ie: evolution, archeology, etc. However my favorite is to see people give movie reviews to new movies that come out.

There are tons of movies that come out each month and all people go out to see them. What boggles my mind is that you have some hardcore Christians who will go see movies like Rob Zombie's Devil's Rejects and then post and how shocked they were and that they left the movie. Why in the world would you go see a movie when you know it's not going to be a "Christ-like" film??

I enjoy seeing movies for the pure excitement of a film, not to sit there and count how many times they swore or showed nudity. Don't see a movie if your job is to sit there in shock and awe complaining how horrible it is because you shouldn't be there in the first place. Seriously, I don't get these people.

My best friend is a Christian, works for a baptist church, loves the Lord and is a hardcore spiritual person. I ask him what his favorite movies are... Guess what he says.. Goodfellas, Godfather, and a ton more.. No he didn't say Left Behind, TBN's Greatest Hits, Paul & Jan Crouch Go To Israel.. I'm not trying to rip on TBN, but its like Christians aren't allowed to see a "secular" film these days. I look at it this way. If you are a warrior for Christ, then nothing should take you down.. not even a movie. Why not go out and enjoy a film, instead of looking at it like "it's the Devil working his ways!" ... if you feel you are so afraid of Satan knocking at your door, then don't go.

Another thing that some disagree with.. Im a Christian and I LOVE Horror Movies. That's right. I do. Not because Im into people dying on film, or evil things popping out at night.. I love it for the art. Does that make me less of a Christian? NO it does not. I know where my heart lies.

Id love to hear why some Christians put themselves through the torture of watching a movie they know is not a Christian film, so they can get on forums and talk about how "evil" it is. I dont get it..

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Re: Christians & Mainstream Movies

Post #2

Post by ChaosBorders »

phxwebguy wrote: Id love to hear why some Christians put themselves through the torture of watching a movie they know is not a Christian film, so they can get on forums and talk about how "evil" it is. I dont get it..
It is an odd thing to do. On the one hand, there is the problem that if you have not seen the movie you should not judge the movie, and if the movie is really very disturbing it might be worth it for some people to see so they can accurately make the assessment 'Yeah, it's really pretty bad' and warn others who might not have known it was going to be as bad as it was. On the other hand, if one has read any reviews or seen previews it shouldn't be that hard to guess you're wasting your time and aren't going to like it.

TwentyOneSix
Student

Post #3

Post by TwentyOneSix »

The outrage is entirely justified; movies like that should have never been made in the first place. Explicit violence and sex are poisonous to your soul, and harmful to anyone who sees them.
And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #4

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

TwentyOneSix wrote:Explicit violence and sex are poisonous to your soul, and harmful to anyone who sees them.
And yet the Bible is FILLED with such atrocities…
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه