Moderator: Moderators

naz
Banned
Banned

Devil Music!@#$

Post #1

Post by naz »

Hey!
I have a question. Is this devil music? For some reason I like stuff like this, is that strange?

Click me! :flamed:

amptramp
Student

Post #11

Post by amptramp »

The concept of devil music arose in the 1950's when teenagers were audacious enough to embrace rock and roll music based on black blues. It came specifically from ministers of racist churches.

There have been performers who have capitalized on the shock value of declaring themselves to be Satanist, and maybe some of them are. Certainly the Norwegian satanic metal bands who have been known to burn down churches and shoot singers from other bands would qualify.

OpiatefortheMasses
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by OpiatefortheMasses »

Actually, people have been claiming that music is "devilish" for hundreds of years. For a long time what is known as the Tritone in classical music was referred to as "the devil's note" and naturally any music that was built around the Tritone was considered "devilish". Luckily, people got over that... for the most part.

The way I see it, if you're fervently looking for something evil in something whether it be in a book, an image, music etc. you're eventually going to find it whether it's actually there or not.

OpiatefortheMasses
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by OpiatefortheMasses »

amptramp wrote:The concept of devil music arose in the 1950's when teenagers were audacious enough to embrace rock and roll music based on black blues. It came specifically from ministers of racist churches.

There have been performers who have capitalized on the shock value of declaring themselves to be Satanist, and maybe some of them are. Certainly the Norwegian satanic metal bands who have been known to burn down churches and shoot singers from other bands would qualify.
I would say more the Norwegian Black Metal bands are anti-christian rather than satanists. I actually listen to quite a lot Black Metal and the majority of them seem to gravitate towards Odinism or Paganism in terms of beliefs/ religion. Christianity tends to get kicked around them because of the history of Christianity in Norway and how it was introduced. It's also seen as a conformist ideology which doesn't sit well with them either.