Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

whyhate
Student

Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Post #1

Post by whyhate »

My friend and I had a debate, after we were given a very spiritual film:
The Finest Hour... www finesthourthemovie.com, by a Christian friend of ours. The film does not classify itself as a Christian film, but the friend that gave it to us did. He said although the content was extremely STRONG, and it did have cuss words in it, because God and the Devil battled the whole movie (not telling who wins), and many parts was based on the bible; it was a Christian Film. He also said that although not preachy, the messages in the film were quite clear and redeeming. I agreed with everything he said, I just thought the presentation was a bit too real for me. I of course couldn't believe that he would classify this film as Christian. I have never watched a Christian film cuss, nor have I ever seen a Christian film explore subjects the way this did.

My question: Am I wrong? Does strong content and language forfeit a Christian Classification of a movie?

whyhate
Student

Post #2

Post by whyhate »

Wow, I thought it was a good question.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Kuan »

I think it is a good question too. I think it depends on the movie. What is the storyline and how does it all work together?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Vanguard
Guru

Re: Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Post #4

Post by Vanguard »

whyhate wrote:My friend and I had a debate, after we were given a very spiritual film:
The Finest Hour... www finesthourthemovie.com, by a Christian friend of ours. The film does not classify itself as a Christian film, but the friend that gave it to us did. He said although the content was extremely STRONG, and it did have cuss words in it, because God and the Devil battled the whole movie (not telling who wins), and many parts was based on the bible; it was a Christian Film. He also said that although not preachy, the messages in the film were quite clear and redeeming. I agreed with everything he said, I just thought the presentation was a bit too real for me. I of course couldn't believe that he would classify this film as Christian. I have never watched a Christian film cuss, nor have I ever seen a Christian film explore subjects the way this did.

My question: Am I wrong? Does strong content and language forfeit a Christian Classification of a movie?
Are you singling out strong content and language or is it literally anything typcially considered non-Christian that you mean?

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

If you want to make it real then portraying people as they are seems necessary to me.

whyhate
Student

i don't know

Post #6

Post by whyhate »

Thank you for your replies... I am totally singling out language and content. The film has all the powerful messages, even some biblical scriptures, it's just a hardline approach. The people speak like people we know, act like people we know, and the scenarios are like things we have experienced. I'm just not use to the presentation, from something people are saying could be a Christian film. I have seen a few articles since I wrote this post where the director is having to defend it. He's saying it's a film about Good vs Evil, but you can tell he meant it much deeper than that. You can tell he's a bit afraid to call it a Christian film. If people would accept it as so, I would say it's probably the most powerful Christian film I have ever seen.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Re: i don't know

Post #7

Post by Kuan »

whyhate wrote:Thank you for your replies... I am totally singling out language and content. The film has all the powerful messages, even some biblical scriptures, it's just a hardline approach. The people speak like people we know, act like people we know, and the scenarios are like things we have experienced. I'm just not use to the presentation, from something people are saying could be a Christian film. I have seen a few articles since I wrote this post where the director is having to defend it. He's saying it's a film about Good vs Evil, but you can tell he meant it much deeper than that. You can tell he's a bit afraid to call it a Christian film. If people would accept it as so, I would say it's probably the most powerful Christian film I have ever seen.
I am assuming its about life and the fight between good and evil. So wouldnt portraying life as it is be the right approach? Tons of people use foul language, shouldnt you be able to see that in a movie?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

whyhate
Student

agreed

Post #8

Post by whyhate »

I agree Mormonboy, you should be able to hear that in a movie. But my question was, does it automatically invalidate it as a Christian Film?

Kuan
Site Supporter

Re: agreed

Post #9

Post by Kuan »

whyhate wrote:I agree Mormonboy, you should be able to hear that in a movie. But my question was, does it automatically invalidate it as a Christian Film?
It doesnt, a movie is christian if it is based upon christian themes and has a christian plot.
- Voltaire

Honibaz
Student

Re: Can Christian movies have strong content and profanity??

Post #10

Post by Honibaz »

whyhate wrote:My question: Am I wrong? Does strong content and language forfeit a Christian Classification of a movie?
Good question...not even sure if I could come up with the right answer because it can be played both ways. Personally, I think of movies sort of like music. Would strong content and cursing remove it from being a Christian song? The Bible says to not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, and also to let your yea be yea and your nay be nay. Based on the Word of God, I'd say that would throw it out of the Christian category.

Now that being said, God can use any type of movie to get someone to start thinking about their eternal destiny. I know some people who've watched Signs and it made them start thinking about how there are answers to why do bad things happen to good people (which is total craziness as there is no such thing as a good person, but that's for another thread). I've also used The Matrix as a way to introduce the idea of a Messianic figure discussion. I'd dare say many people in my parents' generation started going to church after seeing The Exorcist in theaters (my uncle being one of them).

Back in the day, Thief In The Night didn't contain any cursing. It had horrible acting and absolutely atrocious hairstyles. The only 'strong content' which could be considered offensive was the wardrobe of plaid that some of the actors wore. Despite this, the movie affected thousands of people who later accepted Christ. I personally believe God blesses movies like that instead of ones with cursing. People are still looking that movie up on youtube and getting saved.

--70s Escapee Honibaz