Swear Words

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

Swear Words

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

Many Christians don't approve of foul language, most invoke the 3rd commandment:
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
But does that really apply to other swear words that are not religiously related?

Aren't these words foul only because we make them that way? Most of them refer to words that we say all the time and have the same meaning.

This might not interest many but it is a problem in my community. I dont listen to edited songs mostly because the way they edit it bothers me. I have been told many times that I am going to hell because my songs are not edited and that I am breaking the 3rd commandment, ect.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

I relate to sanctification as a process. Do I swear? yes. Do I swear a lot less? also yes.

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #3

Post by fewwillfindit »

I think that to take the name of the Lord in vain is to take His name upon yourself frivolously, or as cnorman18 said in this post, it means to not carry the name of the Lord in vain. I think that to limit it to cussing is to greatly minimize the gravity of the third commandment.

However, the Bible has much to say regarding what we say, think and do. Consider the following passages:
Philippians 4:8 ESV wrote:Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things
Matthew 12:34 ESV wrote:For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
James 3:8-12 ESV wrote:but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.
Ephesians 4:29 ESV wrote:Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Titus 2:7-8 ESV wrote:Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us
1 Peter 1:13-16 ESV wrote:Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."
1 Peter 3:10 ESV (from Psalm 34:12-13) wrote:For

"Whoever desires to love life

and see good days,

let him keep his tongue from evil

and his lips from speaking deceit;
This is just a sampling. Needless to say, Christians should be cautious about what they speak, for they represent the Lord and should be mindful to not bring dishonor to His name.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Kuan »

fewwillfindit wrote:I think that to take the name of the Lord in vain is to take His name upon yourself frivolously, or as cnorman18 said in this post, it means to not carry the name of the Lord in vain. I think that to limit it to cussing is to greatly minimize the gravity of the third commandment.
And I agree here with that interpretation.
This is just a sampling. Needless to say, Christians should be cautious about what they speak, for they represent the Lord and should be mindful to not bring dishonor to His name.
Yes but what makes those certain words any worse than the synonyms we use?

Here are some synonyms for swear words: crap, shiz, blockhead, idiot, jerk, sex, intercourse, whining. Why arent these swear words if the others are?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #5

Post by fewwillfindit »

mormon boy51 wrote:
fewwillfindit wrote:I think that to take the name of the Lord in vain is to take His name upon yourself frivolously, or as cnorman18 said in this post, it means to not carry the name of the Lord in vain. I think that to limit it to cussing is to greatly minimize the gravity of the third commandment.

Here are some synonyms for swear words: crap, shiz, blockhead, idiot, jerk, sex, intercourse, whining. Why arent these swear words if the others are?
I think that it's a personal thing between you and God, but in my estimation, it boils down to how effective of a witness we are for Christ if we use words that are deemed by society as off-color. Words change greatly over time, the meanings of which are in large part dictated by society and culture. Often times, a Christian will receive a check in his spirit when he saying something that the Lord finds to be unholy. Intent should also be considered. Granted, these are highly subjective for purposes of discussion.

I suggest that a Christian pray that God would keep a check on his tongue, and guide his heart and mind so that all that he says and does is pleasing to the Lord. Holiness and purity are noble goals.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Kuan »

fewwillfindit wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:

I think that it's a personal thing between you and God, but in my estimation, it boils down to how effective of a witness we are for Christ if we use words that are deemed by society as off-color. Words change greatly over time, the meanings of which are in large part dictated by society and culture. Often times, a Christian will receive a check in his spirit when he saying something that the Lord finds to be unholy. Intent should also be considered. Granted, these are highly subjective for purposes of discussion.

I suggest that a Christian pray that God would keep a check on his tongue, and guide his heart and mind so that all that he says and does is pleasing to the Lord. Holiness and purity are noble goals.
I have to agree here, sadly, this is probably in the wrong subforum to talk about relationships with god and ect. Ill have to make a new goal to slowly get rid of my massive amounts of Eminem and Tech N9n3 now....
- Voltaire

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #7

Post by fewwillfindit »

mormon boy51 wrote:Ill have to make a new goal to slowly get rid of my massive amounts of Eminem and Tech N9n3 now....
ROFL @ "slowly." Thanks for the chuckle, mormon boy51.

sarabellum

hi.....

Post #8

Post by sarabellum »

Did the google search on swear words in the bible, hit this site that seemed christian but was fascinating....

Anyway one of the thoughts I agreed with was the idea of intent....

Many words are in that gray zone if you will...
SHIZ...
or
Blockhead...

To me there is a difference between smashing your finger and saying the F-bomb and telling your friend to go F-off....
Your intent is different...

I do agree that it is necessary to be an example...
of the world not in it...

Personally I won't loose much sleep over it....

Do you want my mailing adress since your getting rid of all your Tech-Nine...
(I kid) :D

Kuan
Site Supporter

Re: hi.....

Post #9

Post by Kuan »

sarabellum wrote:Did the google search on swear words in the bible, hit this site that seemed christian but was fascinating....

Anyway one of the thoughts I agreed with was the idea of intent....

Many words are in that gray zone if you will...
SHIZ...
or
Blockhead...
I agree, when we judge people we go by intent, but usualy with these words our only intent is not quite so...righteous.
To me there is a difference between smashing your finger and saying the F-bomb and telling your friend to go F-off....
Your intent is different...
Is it? You releasing your anger through the use of that word. The first example you release the anger upon an inanimate object, but in the second one we release it upon a person.
I do agree that it is necessary to be an example...
of the world not in it...

Personally I won't loose much sleep over it...
I have many goals through my life, one of them is to be perfect according to the standards of my beliefs.
Do you want my mailing adress since your getting rid of all your Tech-Nine...
(I kid) :D
I have every single song he ever made and some mixtapes he did...Its going to be painful getting rid of it!
- Voltaire

Adstar
Under Probation

Re: Swear Words

Post #10

Post by Adstar »

mormon boy51 wrote:Many Christians don't approve of foul language, most invoke the 3rd commandment:
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
But does that really apply to other swear words that are not religiously related?

Aren't these words foul only because we make them that way? Most of them refer to words that we say all the time and have the same meaning.

This might not interest many but it is a problem in my community. I don’t listen to edited songs mostly because the way they edit it bothers me. I have been told many times that I am going to hell because my songs are not edited and that I am breaking the 3rd commandment, ect.
How very mormon of them, to say that. You break a commandment you go to hell.

Guess that makes the Atonement of the Messiah Jesus pretty ineffectual to the mormons. I'd say it is actually a denial of the effectiveness of the blood of the Messiah Jesus.

But anyway looking beyond that.

The commandment to me is about never using the Lords name without actually thinking about the Lord when your saying it.

Yes there are a lot of words called swear words that are just words that have been declared swear words because someone does not like the sound of them.

There are some old Anglo-Saxon words that where legitimate words but where deemed swear words when the French Normans invaded and took England over. The word "shit" was a legitimate word that became tagged with the swear tag simply because it was associated with a language that the French Normans thought inferior.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days