STAR WARS

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

sniper762
Apprentice

STAR WARS

Post #1

Post by sniper762 »

GREATLY IMMULATES BIBLICAL DEPICTION OF GOOD AND EVIL.

AGREE?

Public

Re: Star Wars and spirituality

Post #11

Post by Public »

Hmm... an interesting question! I accept that Christian culture probably influenced the film, directly or indirectly, but I don't think the Jedi/Sith dichotomy has a real comparison from the Bible.

First of all: The Bible does not depict a battle between good and evil. That would be a Manichaen reading of the Bible, at any rate.

Secondly: The concept of a battle between destructive viciousness and fruitful community etc... is not necessarily Biblical. Beowulf could be taken as an example.

Certainly the Bible says there are evil doers, of sorts, but that evil has no possible chance of victory. There doesn't seem anything inevitable about the victory of Luke and friends in Star Wars - that would make the battles rather dull.
Also, the Sith have real powers that rival the powers of the Jedi. I suppose there are witches credited in the Bible, but in general there is no comparison between the miracles of the believers and the miracles of the out-groups.

So, if there is a comparison to be made, I don't see it. At all. But I would be interested if someone could point it out to me.

Beyonder
Student

Post #12

Post by Beyonder »

TD101 wrote: According to George Lucas, he wanted to blend in elements of multiple religions, not just Christianity. I remember seeing an interview with him several years ago where he talked about the mythology used in the films. I was able to find this interview online.

http://www.next-wave.org/may99/starwars.htm

"I didn't want to invent a religion. I wanted to try to explain in a different way the religions that have already existed. I wanted to express it all."

He pointed out that the Force is most similar to Buddhism.
I have to agree with this on multiple occasions as I dont remember a GOD or anything to SATAN in the Star Wars franchises.