STAR WARS

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

sniper762
Apprentice

STAR WARS

Post #1

Post by sniper762 »

GREATLY IMMULATES BIBLICAL DEPICTION OF GOOD AND EVIL.

AGREE?

Deadclown
Scholar

Post #2

Post by Deadclown »

On the face of it, I disagree. You should probably provide some more information or justification of that sort of position.

The Star Wars depiction of Good and Evil relies upon the Force and the Dark Side of the Force. The Force is not necessarily 'good' but the Dark Side strongly tends towards evil because of its encouragement of anger, violence, and gaining power.

I am not sure how this compares to the bible in your estimation? I am curious to hear your theory.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

sniper762
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by sniper762 »

ok, to elaborate
i relate the "force" as similar to the "influence" provided by the holy ghost (good) or that provided by satan (bad = dark side), whichever one decides to follow, not unlike that which was portrayed in star wars.

that force exists in our daily lives even though we do not harness it as adequately as did our biblical ancestors.

dont forget what jesus said; "what i do, you may do also"

TD101
Student

Post #4

Post by TD101 »

According to George Lucas, he wanted to blend in elements of multiple religions, not just Christianity. I remember seeing an interview with him several years ago where he talked about the mythology used in the films. I was able to find this interview online.

http://www.next-wave.org/may99/starwars.htm

"I didn't want to invent a religion. I wanted to try to explain in a different way the religions that have already existed. I wanted to express it all."

He pointed out that the Force is most similar to Buddhism.

sniper762
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by sniper762 »

awesome interview. strengthens my relations. thanx

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Slopeshoulder »

IMO the Force is closest to Daoism. Lucas is a client, so I'll ask around.

Lucas was in into Joseph Campbell, and I think Jung as well. He was interested in archetypes and comparative mythology and religion.

Good stuff.

BTW, I can't wait to see Tree of Life.

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by RobertUrbanek »

In the Star Wars trinity, Darth Vader was the Father, Luke Skywalker was the Son and Obi-Wan Kenobi was the Holy Ghost.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by His Name Is John »

I thought it was more influenced by Buddhism.

Although Lucas describes himself as a Buddhist Methodist, so clearly he was influenced by his own personal religious views.

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

I think the force is more like duct tape. It has a dark side, a light side and holds the universe together.

Logomachist
Student

Star Wars and spirituality

Post #10

Post by Logomachist »

Slopeshoulder wrote:IMO the Force is closest to Daoism.
I agree. And maybe the Jedi warriors in The Men Who Stare At Goats.

[quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 246#392246]Lucas was in into Joseph Campbell, and I think Jung as well. He was interested in archetypes and comparative mythology and religion.[/quote]

From what I've read, this is greatly over-stated. In a more recent interview, when The Phantom Menace came out, Lucas was asked about the greater achetypal meaning behind Star Wars. He resisted giving any, saying he was just trying to tell a story. When asked about research into religious themes and inspiration for the new movie he simply said that religions use a lot of black and red and that inspired the color scheme for Darth Maul's tatoos.

One direct religious connection most people don't pick up on is that the Ewoks lived on the moon of Endor. Endor was a location Canaan.