The "180" Movie

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

The "180" Movie

Post #1

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

Hey how many people have seen the "180" movie that Ray Comfort recently released? Ray Comfort interviews people and tries to convince them that adoption is a better choice in comparison to abortion.

IMO he uses some really sly tactics in trying to befuddle people. He tries to compare abortion to the holocaust, and at the end he tries to witness to every person that didn't try to run away.

Here it is...

Tell me what you think about it, I'm interested in what both sides will say. ^-^

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

Well, I'll be nice and say it's not as mind numbing as much of his other works.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

AkiThePirate wrote:Well, I'll be nice and say it's not as mind numbing as much of his other works.
Of course, when someone invokes Hitler, that is an immediate red flag about a lot of things..

And, when an evangelistic Christian pulls 'I am a Jew', because his mother was of Jewish heritage,.. .. It really gets my goat.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Nilloc James »

Goat, my guess is he has to gain "victim status" in order to make his point and then avoid retaliation.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by His Name Is John »

I liked it. I think it raises some interesting points.

Oh and to everyone saying that he isn't a Jew. Being a Jew is a race rather than just religion. The Nazi's didn't just kill practicing Jews, but anyone of Jewish descent.

I would quite like to debate people who have issues with it, simply to see if I am missing something about it, or if other people are just in reaction because they disagree.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

His Name Is John wrote:I liked it. I think it raises some interesting points.

Oh and to everyone saying that he isn't a Jew. Being a Jew is a race rather than just religion. The Nazi's didn't just kill practicing Jews, but anyone of Jewish descent.

I would quite like to debate people who have issues with it, simply to see if I am missing something about it, or if other people are just in reaction because they disagree.
Being Jewish is NOT a race. There is an ethnic group that the majority of Jews are.. but Ray Comfort isn't using it as a RACE thing.. he is using it to try to convert people to Christianity... as a method of his very narrow Christian faith. If you convert to Christianity, and use the New Testament as part of scripture, then you are not of the Jewish faith.

There are Caucasian Jews, there are black Jews, there are Asian Jews. Being Jewish is NOT a race.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by His Name Is John »

Goat wrote:Being Jewish is NOT a race. There is an ethnic group that the majority of Jews are.. but Ray Comfort isn't using it as a RACE thing.. he is using it to try to convert people to Christianity... as a method of his very narrow Christian faith. If you convert to Christianity, and use the New Testament as part of scripture, then you are not of the Jewish faith.

There are Caucasian Jews, there are black Jews, there are Asian Jews. Being Jewish is NOT a race.
You can be Jewish in race as well as in religion.

He is Jewish in race, but a Christian.

You could be English by race and be Jewish.

The issue is that being a Jew is two things, and you don't need both to be considered Jewish.