Nightcafè

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Nightcafè

Post #1

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

In the television program "Nightcafè" (kind of talk show)there was the topic "do we need a religion today".
Guests are:

A former JW
A Roman Catholic priest
An atheist, and
a Jewess

I would like to refer this question to you: Do we need a religion? Do we need God? Ten commandments? And if yes, why?

Nickman
Site Supporter

Re: Nightcafè

Post #2

Post by Nickman »

The Ex-Mormon wrote: In the television program "Nightcafè" (kind of talk show)there was the topic "do we need a religion today".
Guests are:

A former JW
A Roman Catholic priest
An atheist, and
a Jewess

I would like to refer this question to you: Do we need a religion? Do we need God? Ten commandments? And if yes, why?
Do we need religion? Some people do. They seem to think they cant act civilized with out it. Others use it to perform the greatest of atrocities. I personally don't. Need it. I can conduct myself properly and make up my own mind about my own life.

Do we need god? Same as above. To add, hen I did believe in him my life was not full, and my understanding of reality hindered. There are many gods which one is real. Certainly not the biblical one.

Do we need the ten commandments? Some people think they do in order to be civilized. I don't follow them yet my life is one of great reward and I don't feel guilty for stupid little infractions of said commandments.

I don't have god, as well as many other atheists and we are doing just fine. We may burn in hell one day but at least we listened to our brains while we lived.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

It seems to me that only immoral people need religion for morality.

If they were already moral people they wouldn't need to be told what's moral.

If I look at a religion and agree with its morality, then all I'm doing is confirming that I'm already as moral as the religion.

If I look at a religion and disagree with its morality, then I'd have to go against what I innately feel is moral in order to go along with the religion. And that makes no sense.

~~~~

I disagree with many of the the moral teachings of the original Abrahamic religions such as the Torah, Quran, or Old Testament.

I do agree with many of the moral teachings of Jesus. Most, if not all of them. As far as I can see Jesus is in agreement with me that the teachings of the Old Testament are indeed immoral.

I do not agree with the teaching of Paul. I think Paul was often dredging up immoral principles from the Old Testament and trying to pin those onto Jesus.

So in terms of the Abrahamic religions, only Jesus alone could I agree with, and I would need to renounce all the rest of it as having nothing to do with Jesus.

Moreover, (and far more importantly I think), when I read the moral teachings of Jesus all I did was nod my head in agreement because he was simply teaching my moral values.

But that's the irony right there.

If I already innately agree with the moral teachings of Jesus I most certainly don't need Jesus to teach me moral values.

So even though I agree with Jesus I wouldn't need a religion based on his teachings for any reason.

The only reason I might need such a religion would be to be "saved" from some supposedly evil God who will be exceedingly (and immorally) cruel and hateful toward me if I don't glorify him.

I personally don't believe in any demonic Gods that I need to be saved from, and I don't believe that Jesus was promising to save anyone from any demonic Gods either.

So I have no need for "Religion".

~~~~

I do embrace and entertain spiritual philosophies however. I also believe in the possibility of a truly benevolent spiritual essence to life (although I confess that it's purely a matter of faith or hope that it could potentially be true)

None the less, I don't see it as having much to do with moral values. Or if it does have anything to do with moral values that doesn't concern me because I'm already happy with my moral values. And clearly Jesus would approve of my moral values as well since they are the same moral values that he apparently held.

So I embrace the "superstition" that life can potentially be mystical simply because it's a beautiful thought that makes me happy. :eyebrow:

It's nice to pretend that some entity might actually exist that's wiser and more compassionate than myself. I see very little evidence of that here on Earth. :lol:

But still, it's a nice dream.

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

I think that we people need a "moral authority". Is whether unimportant we then call this God, pope or constitution.
By the way constitution of the USA: Did you know, that the most of the foundation fathers were for a separation from church and state? And to be more precise, because they have made the experience from Europe with religious power and fanaticism.

Talishi
Guru

Post #5

Post by Talishi »

The Ex-Mormon wrote: In the television program "Nightcafè" (kind of talk show)there was the topic "do we need a religion today".
Guests are:

A former JW
A Roman Catholic priest
An atheist, and
a Jewess

What is this, some kind of joke?
A former JW, a priest, an atheist, and a Jewess walk into a studio...
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

shnarkle
Guru

Post #6

Post by shnarkle »

Guests are:

A former JW
A Roman Catholic priest
An atheist, and
a Jewess

Yes, we need religion, God, and the ten commandments. We need them for people who don't have a clue that cheating, stealing, murder, adultery etc. are not the best way to live in society. Telling them that there is a God that created the world is better than telling them that there is no purpose to life and that there really is no objective moral standard. Some people would prefer that there is no god, or objective right or wrong so they can do whatever they please. These types of people would be better off being brainwashed that there is a God and an objective standard for good and evil, morality etc. So religion serves a purpose in keeping some of the ne'er do wells in line.

Beyond that there are those who just want these things so if we're going to live in a fee country we should be able to let them have their religions, their gods, and their ten commandments.