the kelly family

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

stevesonthebay
Student

the kelly family

Post #1

Post by stevesonthebay »

i came across a cassette of the Kelly family album calling heaven by accident. i found it in a car i bought and didn't bother to play it until years later. i fell in love with the music and the voices. the Kelly family are 5 brothers and 4 sisters who sing in beautiful harmony. their father started the family singing and performing at festivals and gatherings around Europe and all started singing and playing instruments from an early age. there are 4 other children who have sometimes performed with the group but mainly it has been john, Kathy, jimmy, joey, Patricia , maite, Barby, paddy and Angelo. they became more famous in the 90s and toured Europe and at their peak out sold the Beatles in Germany and filled stadiums of over 250,000. they are not well known in English speaking countries apart from Ireland where they lived for a while. certainly all my friends had not heard of them yet also like the music. nowadays they have split and perform either as a smaller groups or solo. they got back together in 2007 to do a concert. paddy Kelly was the main lead vocal during the nineties but they all can sing and play various instruments. For many years, the group presented a gypsy image and a vagabonding lifestyle, traveling around Europe in a double-Decker bus and houseboat. Their image was enhanced by their eclectic and often homemade clothing, and the very long hair worn by both male and female members of the band. In recent years, they have presented a more mainstream look. they have a religious feel to many of their songs and their voices can sound like angels. paddy cut his long hair and joined the priest hood in 2002 and still continues today. he has written many spiritual songs and has worked to help the poor and needy through out the world. the Kelly family is an inspiration to me in particular paddy and his music speaks of gods love and the day to day struggles we all come against. i have included 2 songs i with the whole family at one of their concerts the other is paddy when he joined the priest hood.

KCKID
Guru

Re: the kelly family

Post #2

Post by KCKID »

stevesonthebay wrote: i came across a cassette of the Kelly family album calling heaven by accident. i found it in a car i bought and didn't bother to play it until years later. i fell in love with the music and the voices. the Kelly family are 5 brothers and 4 sisters who sing in beautiful harmony. their father started the family singing and performing at festivals and gatherings around Europe and all started singing and playing instruments from an early age. there are 4 other children who have sometimes performed with the group but mainly it has been john, Kathy, jimmy, joey, Patricia , maite, Barby, paddy and Angelo. they became more famous in the 90s and toured Europe and at their peak out sold the Beatles in Germany and filled stadiums of over 250,000. they are not well known in English speaking countries apart from Ireland where they lived for a while. certainly all my friends had not heard of them yet also like the music. nowadays they have split and perform either as a smaller groups or solo. they got back together in 2007 to do a concert. paddy Kelly was the main lead vocal during the nineties but they all can sing and play various instruments. For many years, the group presented a gypsy image and a vagabonding lifestyle, traveling around Europe in a double-Decker bus and houseboat. Their image was enhanced by their eclectic and often homemade clothing, and the very long hair worn by both male and female members of the band. In recent years, they have presented a more mainstream look. they have a religious feel to many of their songs and their voices can sound like angels. paddy cut his long hair and joined the priest hood in 2002 and still continues today. he has written many spiritual songs and has worked to help the poor and needy through out the world. the Kelly family is an inspiration to me in particular paddy and his music speaks of gods love and the day to day struggles we all come against. i have included 2 songs i with the whole family at one of their concerts the other is paddy when he joined the priest hood.

You pretty well said it all about the Kelly Family. I just want to support your post and say that I happened upon the KF about three years ago when I was flipping my way through YouTube. I was looking for the German Christmas carol Süßer die Glocken nie klingen and, bingo, one of the many clips featured a very young John Kelly and his younger siblings, along with mom and dad (both since deceased) and other family members.

As a musician myself, the musical abilities of this family amazes me ...all the way between their renditions of, as you say, Christian songs and their popular Fell In Love With An Alien, the latter being a far classier song than the title might suggest. I find it unbelievable that I'd never heard of the KF until a few years ago ...despite their HUGE popularity in Europe. Credit to YouTube for bringing them to the attention of the rest of the world. There's a ton of stuff from the Kellys on YouTube and I would recommend that the folks on this forum give them a listen. The Kelly Family Live In Lorelei really showcases the versatility of this family.

Thanks for bringing the subject up.

stevesonthebay
Student

the kelly family

Post #3

Post by stevesonthebay »

paddy Kelly recently made a come back to mainstream music in 2011 and has brought out a new song unknown you

he has also done some appearances one in Warschau, Poland and Europe. 2012.

the rest of the family still do solo appearances and perform together as 6 or 7 in the group. Paul Kelly who was not in the Kelly family at the height of their success has joined in some concerts. he is different again playing the bagpipes but still has the Kelly family voice. jimmy Kelly has put out some good music sort of country/folk and seems to be performing with more Kelly family members that i haven't seen before.

Angelo Kelly is now performing with his own family as well.